Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:29 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,648,464 times

Advertisements

Honestly I believe they are not all crazy.

I have lived through a lot of hurricanes. I have gone to a grocery stores with empty shelves. Then I have seen people panic and get irrational and argue and fight.

I once was waiting in lines for gas, got in, got gas, as I was getting gas, someone cut in line and snuck into another spot, obviously this caused people to start argueing, then I saw about 10 cars freak out and rush the gas station, now here I am, away form the pump but all exits are blocked because it from organized to peolple all dashing in for fuel. Mind you a good 200-300 people are in line for gas. Horns blaring, and a fist fight breaks out.

Situation I don't want to be in, I was in a truck, so I drove over a decorative hedge and through a ditch and went home. No clue what happened there but the only "order" is a min wage gas station attendant.

The leeches come out fo the woodwork trying to exploit anything they can in a situation like this. People reselling stuff at inflated rates and price gouging. You hear stories of people selling gascans that are half filled with water for like $200.

I have also seen my friends be stupid and not have enough water/food to get through 5 days, and have had to help them out.

Personally I am behind, but I really want to be able to be self suffcient in my home for 2 weeks. I kind of want a "bug out bag" so if I have to leave I can grab stuff and go instantly. I already have a plan of where I am going if **** goes bad.

I know it sounds silly and stupid, but live in an area with no electricity for 2 weeks and see how quickly the world changes. No electricity = no gas as well, unless your gas station as a generator, but it will run out of gas quickly.

I figured, earthquakes, Katrina, ice storms, other storms, and recently Sandy, has taught people this stuff.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:40 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
When I was a kid - way back in the 70s - it was called 'stocking up'. Most people did it as items came on sale. I grew up in a working/middle class life with parents who remembered the WW2 shortages and were raised by parents who lived through the Great Depression. It was normal to be somewhat prepared at all times.

I can remember Dad having fire drills every 3 months or so to make sure we could get out of the house. The pantry was well stocked with canned goods and dry milk (yuck). When bad weather came in, they'd buy extra milk and such and check the flashlight and battery supply. A few hours before a storm hit, we'd all take our baths, Mom cleaned the tub and filled it with water in case we needed it for the toilet.

Basically, we prepped for problems caused by fire, flood, power failures, unemployment, etc. Mostly short term problems, but I remember when my Dad's company went on strike, we didn't go hungry. We had some weird meals, LOL, but never went hungry.

I think people are trying to embrace some of that way of thinking again. 9/11, several horrible hurricanes and tornadoes, and the bouncing economy of the last 2 decades have awakened a lot of people.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:49 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
In the 60's we ducked and covered. They still built bomb shelters in backyards.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
In the 60's we ducked and covered. They still built bomb shelters in backyards.
I still remember getting kinda under the desk and thinking to myself, "how effective is this gonna be if we get nuked?" LOL

Old 01-19-2013, 12:53 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
And how is that damaging you? You might consider me crazy in that I have at all times a 4 month supply of food, two generators and a large supply of toilet paper. If you think I'm crazy, I don't really care? What's it to you? I haven't stolen anything and I am not keeping you from being able to provide for your family. Where are you harmed by any of this?
No, I do not think that is crazy at all - but that's a far cry from the 'Doomsday Preppers' I see on the reality show that my son loves to watch.

I agree that it is smart to be prepared for various storms, extreme weather conditions, electrical outage, and food shortage. I've lived through a flood or two myself. Food, water, generators, and toilet paper come in handy.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
No, I do not think that is crazy at all - but that's a far cry from the 'Doomsday Preppers' I see on the reality show that my son loves to watch.

I agree that it is smart to be prepared for various storms, extreme weather conditions, electrical outage, and food shortage. I've lived through a flood or two myself. Food, water, generators, and toilet paper come in handy.
Again I ask you, what harm are these people that are preparring for longer term catastrophe doing to you or anyone else? What differentiates them from me, other than the length of the term?

Old 01-19-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Again I ask you, what harm are these people that are preparring for longer term catastrophe doing to you or anyone else? What differentiates them from me, other than the length of the term?
Are you preparing for an onslaught of Zombies? I didn't think so.

Their ENTIRE LIVES revolve around the next doomsday - if you've watched the show then you know what I'm talking about.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Are you preparing for an onslaught of Zombies? I didn't think so.

Their ENTIRE LIVES revolve around the next doomsday - if you've watched the show then you know what I'm talking about.
Yeah, I've seen it, but again I ask you....What harm are they doing to anyone else?

Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 PM

Frankly, for my part, if there is a doomsday, I don't really want to survive it...

Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I've seen it, but again I ask you....What harm are they doing to anyone else?
Where did I say they were harming anyone? I do think the more extreme cases (zombie apoc) could definitely be harming their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies