Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should every single US citizen who owns a firearm be required to have it registered with the federal
Yes 16 30.19%
No 37 69.81%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 02:20 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times

Advertisements

No point in mandatory registration of firearms--------too many in circulation and besides; the true criminals would not abide by such a law anyway.

Better for the violent hoodlums to play Russian Roulette with a wheel gun with 5 of the 6 chambers loaded. Read that the odds of a criminal doing something vicious would drop with a probable likelyhood of retaliation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 03:39 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
As a gun owner I really have no issue regestering my weapons. I dont break laws and if 1 were stolen I would know it and report it. This said I am against new gun laws being passed. Just like immigration you can have 1000 laws on the books but if you dont enforce them whats the point?
I instead would like to see laws passed that if you use a firearm in the commission of a crime ie armed robbery then it should come with a mandatory death penalty. PUNISH THE CRIMINALS not the law abiding citizens.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:52 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
From what I have originally heard about Al Gore in the 2000 election, he would have made it mandatory for every single citizen in the united states who owns a gun or firearm to have it registered with the federal authorities.
I don't think Gore could have pushed this legislation of this type through congress.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:43 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
As for violent crime rates skyrocketing all over the nation, wtf did you get such nonsense? Violent crimes have dropped substantially year after year since 1995.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Violent Crime Rate Trends (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/viort.htm - broken link)

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/viort.gif (broken link) [D]

[Mod cut]
I wonder what the increase in CCW states has been in that same time period.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:11 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
There is a reason the right to bear arms is the #2 amendment in the Bill of Rights. It is because they considered it the most importaint right after free speech. The founding fathers, being far more educated than the average citizen today, had the foresight to see the possibility of tyrany overtaking our goverment. They knew the only defense we had against tyrany was an armed population. They did not intend for us to have guns as hunting implements. They did intend for us to own and maintain military grade weapons in order to ensure the power remained in the hands of the people. You would know this if you had ever read the Jefferson papers. They knew of the repression and missery that came from goverments whose power was absolute. Do you even understand what a citizen is? Do you realize that we in the U.S. are the only citizen population in the world. Being a citizen you have responsibilities to your country and your fellow citizens.
The issue is not about crime. It is about freedom. If you want to be a slave peasant without rights, then continue on the road of arms control. If you want your children and grandchilren to live free, then educate yourself on what a citizen really is and stand up for your rights. Hundreds of thousands of people who were responsible citizens, have given their lives for the freedoms you enjoy today, what have you done? The majority of us must answer that question, nothing, I have been a freeloader not a citizen.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
--Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria in On Crimes and Punishment

Last edited by jimhcom; 10-20-2007 at 11:25 PM..

Old 10-21-2007, 07:51 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Register weapons with the federal government? Give them even more intrusive control of civil liberties? With the fine example of how they are trying to control every aspect of our so called freedoms already? An absolute NO!

Old 10-21-2007, 09:29 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Federal isn't necessary. State would likely be fine.

Quote:
No point in mandatory registration of firearms--------too many in circulation and besides; the true criminals would not abide by such a law anyway.
No point in having a driver's license. There would be too many and true criminals will drive anyway.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:06 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
No registration of firearms, and their owners, should be required -

Period

Old 10-21-2007, 11:01 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Federal isn't necessary. State would likely be fine.

No point in having a driver's license. There would be too many and true criminals will drive anyway.
Firearms are a right, driver's licenses are a privilege. Not even a apples to apples comparison because when I want to use my gun to hunt, I then have to purchase a license just like do to drive a car. Whether it be a drivers license or a license for the car.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:03 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Has anybody else noticed that the OP has not come back to defend his position? Another hit and run thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies