Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:48 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I'm all for comprehensive sex education, but giving birth control pills to girls this young is beyond ridiculous and you are correct in that it is not a liberal viewpoint, merely a stupid one.
Couldn't have said it better myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 11:10 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Home schooling is definitely on the rise, but it is because of propaganda and indoctrination or the fact that schools are over-crowded, and have a poor track record?

Hummm I don't see overcrowding listed as one of the reasons to homeschool

Old 10-19-2007, 11:52 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post

Hummm I don't see overcrowding listed as one of the reasons to homeschool
That is from a source 8 years ago and the face of education has been dramatically altered since. Also, did it occur to you that overcrowding could fall under several reasons listed - such as "poor learning environment at school", "other problems with available schools", and the large "other reasons"?

Old 10-20-2007, 12:37 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
soooo.... the nurse at the schools cant give my daughter a pain reliever when she has a headache... but... they can give her birth control?

Old 10-20-2007, 01:57 AM

133 posts, read 534,449 times
These pills are being prescribed (not just "given out", as many of you are saying) under the discretion of the parents. The idea of eleven-year-olds having sex and the parents allowing it is horrifying to me, but it must be happening otherwise the school wouldn't deam it necessary to prescribe the pills.

What would you prefer: An eleven-year-old on birth control, or an eleven-year-old in an abortion clinic?

Besides, the pills could be used to help regulate periods and lessen the cramping, nausea, and other nasty side-effects of someone with a particularly vicious period. There are no harmful side-effects of the pill, and, unlike condoms, they have 99% protection against unwanted pregnancy.

I would like to point out again, before you all rip me to pieces due to false accusations, I am completely against the idea of elevens-year-olds having sex. It is terrible parenting and is probably a sign of child abuse at home, and the schools should really look into the cases of the the family's with the aforementioned children. However, in the mean time, the school is trying to give a least a small amount of protection for these children, and you have to understand that.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:32 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by part_iv View Post
However, in the mean time, the school is trying to give a least a small amount of protection for these children, and you have to understand that.
And another thing we have to understand is that there are those whose only take on any story in the news is how it can be spun into some shocking new outrage by liberals. In this case, the outrage happens to be providing appropriate health care services to a demonstrated at-risk population. Apparently, this is the worst thing that liberals have ever done. It's too bad that the other side cannot make the same claim...

Old 10-20-2007, 06:11 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
And another thing we have to understand is that there are those whose only take on any story in the news is how it can be spun into some shocking new outrage by liberals. In this case, the outrage happens to be providing appropriate health care services to a demonstrated at-risk population. Apparently, this is the worst thing that liberals have ever done. It's too bad that the other side cannot make the same claim...
You say this because your child was not affected. From what I gather they can hand out birth control but are not required to alert the Parent. Thats scary. As a parent how can I react to my child being a potential victim of child abuse If the school is a willing partner in the silence? Perhaps my child has been led astray by gasp shock a teacher who is a predator???
It is stupid and it most definetly sounds like what liberals would condone.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:50 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You say this because your child was not affected.
No, I say this because there are those whose only take on any story in the news is how it can be spun into some shocking new outrage by liberals.

Quote:
From what I gather they can hand out birth control but are not required to alert the Parent.
Do some more gathering. Informed parental consent is required before the child can so much as set foot in the clinic. Notification will be withheld only if the child requests it, and if that request is maintained. I'll leave you to imagine the sort of conditions that might lead to such a persistent request. These might be substantially different from those that prevail in your own home.

Quote:
As a parent how can I react to my child being a potential victim of child abuse If the school is a willing partner in the silence?
The clinic is run by the city Department of Health. Like all pediatric care providers, they are required to report suspected cases of child abuse. As the greatest portion of all child abuse occurs in the home, you will be among the first to be visited by responsible officials as the result of such a report.

Quote:
Perhaps my child has been led astray by gasp shock a teacher who is a predator???
Yes, most teachers are predators. This is a very reasonable fear on your part.

Quote:
It is stupid and it most definetly sounds like what liberals would condone.
Talk to me about stupid. The alternative is middle schoolers having abortions without telling their parents. Is that what you prefer?

Old 10-20-2007, 08:55 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Can't we blame this on the illegal immigrants and homosexuals and feminazis and algore disciples too? And maybe throw in Osama?

Or could one of the scholars on this thread actually explain the connection to liberalism for the rest of us? Thanks!

Old 10-20-2007, 09:02 AM

133 posts, read 534,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Or could one of the scholars on this thread actually explain the connection to liberalism for the rest of us? Thanks!
Thank you!! I don't see any connection whatsoever. It seems that lately whenever something happens that conservatives don't like, it's the fault of liberalism. A majority of the conservative population is slowly turning into Ann Coulter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies