Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
I guess I meant to say that she learned it within her own conscience. Now, if that conscience were to bring her to publicly acknowledging her earlier misunderstandings of economics....then, no, for her conscience was clouded by her conniving, prideful ego.
Saying she had a large ego is a large understatement. Have you seen her interviews? If people question her ideas in the most passive way she would unleash a torrent of insults as to how they were beneath her and not worthy of her spit. Not only was she an ugly woman outside and I don't see how any man could find her attractive but inside she was ugly. No redeeming quality's at all. I personally feel that the men she attracted were those who wanted to be dominated and humiliated. Some men like to be treated like dog droppings. Personally she could not have payed me enough to hold her hand. BTW I will be going to a gun thread so I will not reply to posts for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 PM

571 posts, read 1,201,074 times
Her writing presents a unique political theory (esp. given the times). Put it in context. Interesting ideas, although not applicable.

Not sure why her books incite all this hate. People act as though her books shouldn't exist. It's food for thought - nothing more. Pull it apart - there are religious/moral/economic/political themes. You can hate her writing for whatever reason, but if you're going to take time out of your day to hate it at least know why YOU hate it and not why your favorite columnist or preacher hates it. I agree that most people who attempt to have this discussion have never read her books.

Yes, she was a narcissist, a nut job. I don't read authors based on whether or not I'd want to be friends with the person. A lot of philosophers/psychologists/writers were absolute nut jobs, often addicted to drugs with disastrous personal lives.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Saying she had a large ego is a large understatement. Have you seen her interviews? If people question her ideas in the most passive way she would unleash a torrent of insults as to how they were beneath her and not worthy of her spit. Not only was she an ugly woman outside and I don't see how any man could find her attractive but inside she was ugly. No redeeming quality's at all. I personally feel that the men she attracted were those who wanted to be dominated and humiliated. Some men like to be treated like dog droppings. Personally she could not have payed me enough to hold her hand. BTW I will be going to a gun thread so I will not reply to posts for a while.
I said her ego was conniving, also. Her spitting at others for questioning her, show a woman who possibly harbored doubts deep within her psyche concerning her philosophy.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
Her writing presents a unique political theory (esp. given the times). Put it in context. Interesting ideas, although not applicable.

Not sure why her books incite all this hate. People act as though her books shouldn't exist. .
Some people cannot handle ideas that conflict with their bias.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
paul ryan isnt a Libertarian, no way no how.

Agree. Not even close. Ryan is a Republican.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I find it amusing that a novel written 55 years ago, by an author that has been dead for 30 years...still has liberals soiling their panties.
That's because the Dems cannot handle ideas that conflict with their Big Government statism agenda.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
And Ayn Rand finished her great lesson by showing them by her example of accepting government help in the form of Social Security and Medicare.
Anyone who refuses to accept help from the government is an idiot.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Agree. Not even close. Ryan is a Republican.
Republican, Libertarian or Martian, Ryan was an enthusiastic and voluble disciple of the Rand woman - until someone reminded him he was also supposed to be a good Catholic.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Some people cannot handle ideas that conflict with their bias.
Some people never grow up.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
No you don't get it. Ayn Rand was never talking about labor. She was talking about the very few at the top that skimmed most or all of the profit and did nothing for it but have the capitol investment. She loved Frank Loyd Wright who she modeled her Howard Roark after. He in turn did not think much of her.

In the Fountainhead after a project was designed and then changed by the original owner he blew it up because it was changed without his permission. He in affect destroyed personal property then gave some lame speech and got off in Rands world bubble. It was a contradiction in that she regards personal property as absolute in Atlas Shrugged then in the previous movie Roark blows up personal property that is not his because his design was changed. She is a walking contradiction and not worth the time to read her clap trap garbage. She lived a lie telling people to live for them self and do what they made them feel good irregardless of others feelings and when her lover Nathaniel Branden in front of her husband and his wife, then went absolute crazy wild insane throwing Branden out of the so called club or cult as it really was for doing what she preached. She is a sick twisted nut who people who are narcissistic and have an over inflated self value love to follow.
If you are referring to usurers (corporations, banks), then you are correct to condemn them. Usury has been denounced for "only" 3500 years, condemned by all religions that I checked, and mathematically unsustainable in a finite money token system (due to the exponential equation for calculating compound interest).
Unfortunately, usury is embraced by millions and billions.

Ironically, the usurers like to call themselves capitalists, but in fact, they prey on capitalism - and the private owners of property and labor.

For all Ayn Rand's wrath at collectivism (institutionalized slavery), she was blind as a bat to money madness and usury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies