Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:04 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
I don't believe it needs to be. Its fine as it is, and hasn't caused any problems. Anyone who thinks otherwise, are just using it as a thin veil to hide behind so they don't can indriectly attack immigration (both legal and illegal).

There are many immigrants who are MUCH more loyal to the US than home grown US Citizens.

What's insulting is that you think this is an insult to the American people as if you are the voice for them.

NOT a single person in the US is a "native" of the Continental US. We are all Descendants of immigrants who traveled to this land to look for new opportunities, and to get away from oppression (or heck, to even make money).
You don't know what the word "native" means. I am a native, my parents were natives, my grandparents were natives, my ancestors were living on American soil when the country was formed. They were born on American soil before it was formed. That is a native and not an immigrant. A native is a person who is born into a country and has never been a part of another country. There are many natives in this country. Actually "anchor children" are natives too. They were born here. I have no problem with that. I just want those that should not be here and are not citizens to be required to leave. They can leave their native born children here if they want to. They should be given a choice to do that or let them be dual citizens when they take them back to their native country. It is quite a mess and should never have happened in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
78% of Americans would legalize every illegal in the country today if we ended citizenship to illegals. It is a natural draw.

End it, legalize the ones here, national ID card, and tax them all.
No. We have done that once too often already. Deport all that are not citizens. Go door to door if necessary. We also need a national I. D. card and be ready to present it at any time we are asked. I hate the thought of it but we have so many people here illegally that will be necessary in order to clear out those that are not citizens. That they came here is their problem and should not be our problem. They need to leave and if they want to immigrant; do it in the accepted lawful way.

And I will further say that anyone that is here illegally is not someone that should ever be granted citizenship. They are not law abiding or they would not be here. We should not reward criminal behavior with citizenship. They should be deported or jailed.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:15 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Not sure what minorities have to do with anything, but what I don't want is automatic citizenship for anyone who happens to be born within US borders or territories.
Why? It has been like this for quite some time. We have one of the lower population density of the developed world. We are not becoming over overpopulated. There are plenty of undeveloped areas...

Old 01-19-2013, 11:18 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
This is the type of crap that needs to stop. How anyone can condone this is beyond me. Yet, all who oppose are accused of racism.

Quote:
A curious global industry has emerged that caters to wealthy foreign women willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars to give birth in the United States and get instant U.S. citizenship for their babies. The hefty price is worth it, according to these women, because it paves the way for easy access to American public schools, universities and jobs as the children get older and green cards for the whole family once the child turns 21.
Born in the U.S.A.: Birth tourists get instant U.S. citizenship for their newborns - Rock Center with Brian Williams

Quote:
The unassuming home at the top of the hill in an upscale Chino Hills, Calif., neighborhood has been operating as a "maternity mansion," charging women from China high prices to give birth in the United States, essentially buying American citizenship for their babies, according to neighbors who want the operation shut down.

An address found on AsiamChild.com, a Chinese language website advertising the American birthing experience to prospective mothers, matches with the Chino Hills residence. Packages on the site range from $5,000 to $15,000 and call the expenditure a "worthwhile investment" in order to have an American baby.
Chinese Women Pay to Give Birth at California Maternity Mansion, Secure Citizenship for Babies - ABC News

Quote:
The pregnant daughter of Mexico's most famous and elusive drug lord has been caught trying to use false papers to sneak into the U.S. and give birth, say officials.

According to the criminal complaint against Guzman Salazar, "Defendant stated that her intent was to enter into the United States and travel to Los Angeles, California in order to give birth to her child."
Drug Lord's Pregnant Daughter Caught Sneaking Into US: Feds - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Hundreds of expectant women from Mexico come to Arizona every year specifically to deliver babies at hospitals near the border.

Some are in the country illegally. But many others are women of means who enter the country legally as tourists and pay cash to deliver babies at hospitals in Nogales, Yuma and Tucson.

In addition to medical care that is perceived to be better in the U.S., the mothers receive an added benefit: Their babies automatically become U.S. citizens.

The practice, dubbed "birth tourism" by critics, has been occurring along the border for years. It also happens in cities around the country where expectant women from overseas arrive by plane with tourist visas, with the goal of giving birth during their stay.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ler-issue.html

Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statutory Ape View Post
Liberals believe "illegal" to be a pejorative when applied to persons of not-yet acquired 14th Amendment status.

They believe it to be a racist term.
I don't know how this conversation turned into a focus on illegal immigrants but that wasn't my argument nor point. I'm asking why should we not allow people born here to be citizens anymore? I know it gets a little tricky staying on subject...

Old 01-19-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
No other country of on the planet allows this poppycock.
America is unique when it comes to nation states. There are also countries that don't have a constitution but I don't see any arguments being made to get rid of that... do we?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:29 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I don't know how this conversation turned into a focus on illegal immigrants but that wasn't my argument nor point. I'm asking why should we not allow people born here to be citizens anymore? I know it gets a little tricky staying on subject...
Wouldn't it be nice if the parents were actually citizens, and held allegiance to this country? Heck, the "birth tourism" mothers don't even live here. Yet, we should grant citizenship to their children simply because they managed to enter this country expressly to give birth, and then return home with their new "U.S. citizen" baby? Is U.S. citizenship so insignificant that it should be bought like a cheap lottery ticket by anyone in the entire world?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:33 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Why? It has been like this for quite some time. We have one of the lower population density of the developed world. We are not becoming over overpopulated. There are plenty of undeveloped areas...
We have pretty much reached our growth peak in the sense that we do not need to construct buildings, build bridges, dig underground rail systems, build land rails and everything else that was built to develop this country. It was then there was a demand for immigration - to build this country.

What do you propose be done with that undeveloped land that we have?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:38 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,001 times
I think a high majority of Americans would support this but as usual, those in DC don't give a damn what we want. It is common sense but with liberals like Reid and Obama, you already know it's not going to go through. They are way out of touch with most Americans

Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Being a US citizen is privilege. A child born to parents who are citizens or where one is a US citizen and can prove that they lived in the US for a certain period of time should be entitled to US citizenship. Not people who are not citizens. These countries give birthright citizenship. The only two countries that have any value is the US and Canada. Australia has it as well but with provisions.

Argentina
Barbados
Brazil
Canada
Colombia
Jamaica
Mexico
Pakistan
Peru
Romania
United States
Uruguay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies