Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:58 AM

107 posts, read 432,185 times

Advertisements

Will the US ever return the HAwaiian Islannds back to the People of Hawaii , Hawaiians people with out a nation .Give them back It's own Goverment ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 01:45 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Hawaii is not majority-Hawaiian today. There is something called the 'Akaka bill' proposed by a congressman from Hawaii that would basically give Hawaiians as a group some of the legal features that Indian tribes have in the US, but it's controversial.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:20 AM

40 posts, read 30,559 times
I would love to see the USA give hawaii its independence go right ahead i think its a great idea.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:30 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eh It's Me View Post
Will the US ever return the HAwaiian Islannds back to the People of Hawaii , Hawaiians people with out a nation .Give them back It's own Goverment ?
Bad idea------if nothing else; looking at many so-called 'Third World' cultures, Hawaii would likely collapse.

Investment money tends to follow socioeconomic stability; and with most of the Whites and Asians (Japanese/Chinese in particular) gone......connect the dots.

Besides: if the indigenous Hawaiians tried violent revolution; they would be put down--------hard--------to the point of being placed in prison here on the Mainland. If nothing else; there simply are not enough of them left.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Conquest is a wonderful thing if you are the conquer.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:13 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
I think the is one of the dumbest, faux issues around. And were it even an issue, which its not, the Civil War kind of settled this question. And if that is not enough, Hawaiians voted for Statehood in 1959, overwhelmingly. End of story.

Hawaiians are mostly of Japanese or Chinese descent. The natives, for all their supposed pride, have not seen fit to perpetuate themselves.

Treat the tiny minority like Native Americans? Yea there is a great idea. Segregate them into reservations, imprisoned to alcoholism and despair. Why would any group choose to become a broken people?

Sanctified racism, nothing more.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:29 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I think the is one of the dumbest, faux issues around. And were it even an issue, which its not, the Civil War kind of settled this question. And if that is not enough, Hawaiians voted for Statehood in 1959, overwhelmingly. End of story.

Hawaiians are mostly of Japanese or Chinese descent. The natives, for all their supposed pride, have not seen fit to perpetuate themselves.

Treat the tiny minority like Native Americans? Yea there is a great idea. Segregate them into reservations, imprisoned to alcoholism and despair. Why would any group choose to become a broken people?

Sanctified racism, nothing more.
Flawed logic. The people living in hawaii voted for statehood, dosent mean the majority of native hawaiians did.

Also, if reservations were so evil, native americans would decide not to live on them, so obviously it isnt as bad as you say.

I think they should be given all the rights given to native americans, since that's essentially what they are.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:37 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Flawed logic. The people living in hawaii voted for statehood, dosent mean the majority of native hawaiians did.
I'm sure you have taken a poll.

Quote:
Also, if reservations were so evil, native americans would decide not to live on them, so obviously it isnt as bad as you say.
People stay in crappy housing projects as well. Malaise is just that.

Quote:
I think they should be given all the rights given to native americans, since that's essentially what they are.
And what would those be? Carve out a chunk of jungle where they can run around in loin cloths? Christ, the condescenion directed towards some people astounds me.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:54 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eh It's Me View Post
what? we would do this because? hawaiins have a nation, its called America!

Old 10-19-2007, 09:10 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Conquest is a wonderful thing if you are the conquer.
Eh, if not for conquest by the US though, they would have been "conquested" by the Japanese during Dubya Dubya Two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies