Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
A very good quote of MLKs.
So bring the troops home. Use that money to take care of promised entitlements but the system has to change of there will be nothing left for future generations.

hmmm??? Lets see, who said that again? hint it wasn't Obomney.
If it were up to me - the troops would be home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 AM

255 posts, read 464,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
If you read through this thread, you will see that in fact the far right wingers posting here must not have half a brain because they are clueless as to what MLK was about. After reading your post above, I'm thinking you may not really know what "he was about."
I'm curious. Do you have ANYTHING to back up all these insults you keep throwing out? I haven't read the entire thread (nor am I of a mind to). Or are you just convinced that you are personally the authority on MLK?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 AM

255 posts, read 464,122 times
Nevermind.

I've been looking for a new board where I could discuss politics. I thought this might be one, but after going over this entire thread, I find that the people on the left have one, and JUST one method of presenting their case....throw out their own beliefs and preconceptions without any sort of evidence at all to substantiate it and then call people names who disagree. I'm sorry, I need something a lot more substantial than that.

So please disregard my posts. No need to respond in any way. You children have fun.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
How did you feel when the Democrats wanted to take God out of their charter at the convention?
As a Christian and a Democrat it didn't bother me at all. In fact, I would prefer that politicians and political parties use inclusive language that does not exclude certain groups of people.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Oh. my. god! Do you people really believe YOU have credibility^^^?
OBVIOUSLY you have not even bothered to read through the definition of conservative which would have disabused you of such an absurdity.

Have someone explain this to you. Less government is conservative.
Nobody believes anything FancyFeat5000 posts. He is off in his own little imaginary world manufacturing history as he sees fit.

You are of course quite correct. Martin Luther King Jr. absolutely hated the Democrat created and supported Jim Crow laws, which is what led him to his most famous quote:
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Old 01-21-2013, 11:35 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
“It’s all right to tell a man to lift himself by his own bootstraps, but it is cruel jest to say to a bootless man that he ought to lift himself by his own bootstraps.”

MLK's words that can easily be construed as a defense of affirmative action, or at the very least, social welfare programs.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Most of us wouldn't put King and Jackson in the same picture. In fact, they are almost polar opposites.

It really is unfortunate that today's Dems don't understand King at all.
They understand him, and that is why they are trying to change history. Jackson was nothing more than a hanger-on. He certainly never had the same vision as King, he was only interested in exploiting his new found popularity for his own purposes. The same is true for Sharpton as well. Both want to maintain the status quo (which is how they make their money), which is not what King wanted. King's original title for his "I have a dream" speech was "Normalcy, Never Again." The very last thing King wanted was to maintain the status quo of Democat bigotry and hatred.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
“It’s all right to tell a man to lift himself by his own bootstraps, but it is cruel jest to say to a bootless man that he ought to lift himself by his own bootstraps.”

MLK's words that can easily be construed as a defense of affirmative action, or at the very least, social welfare programs.
King certainly supported social programs, but not Affirmative Action. Affirmative Action is based solely on the color of one's skin or their gender, it is government institutionalized bigotry and sexism. That certainly does not square up with his "...a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character" statement. Affirmative Action is just another fine example of Democrat created and supported bigotry and sexism.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Oh. my. god! Do you people really believe YOU have credibility^^^?
OBVIOUSLY you have not even bothered to read through the definition of conservative which would have disabused you of such an absurdity.

Have someone explain this to you. Less government is conservative.
The question in is thread is "why conservatives call MLK their hero" when Dr. King viewed government as a an important tool to create a more just society.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Most of us wouldn't put King and Jackson in the same picture. In fact, they are almost polar opposites.

It really is unfortunate that today's Dems don't understand King at all.
Its a fools errand to try to prove which actions by Rev. Jackson that Dr. King would have approved. However history does show us that it was SCLC and Dr. King that promoted the tactics that Rev. Jackson has used the rest of his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies