Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 05:34 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
More guns = more safety, right?

"New Mexico authorities announced on Tuesday that a 15-year-old boy who killed his family with several weapons including an AR-15 military-style assault rifle enjoyed playing “violent” video games and had planned to go to a local Walmart to shoot random people.

Bernalillo County Sheriff Dan Houston told reporters at a press conference that Nehemiah Griego eventually admitted to the murders of his mother, father and three siblings after initially saying that he had come home to find them dead, according to KRQE.

Houston said that Griego had waited for his mother to fall asleep before gaining access to her unlocked bedroom closet to obtain an AR-15, a .22 rifle and two 12-gauge shotguns. Some of the weapons had been purchased by the father through private sales, the investigation found.

“The teen told authorities after killing his family he reloaded his weapons so that he could ‘drive to populated area to murder more people,’” KRQE reported. “He expressed a desire to shoot people at random and eventually be killed while exchanging gunfire with law enforcement.”

Homeschooled teen who killed family with AR-15 plotted Walmart mass shooting | The Raw Story
If you're so interested in shootings why didn't you start a thread on this story? That's rhetorical BTW.

Mother Shoots Home Intruder Six Times after Being Cornered in Attic - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
If you're so interested in shootings why didn't you start a thread on this story? That's rhetorical BTW.

Mother Shoots Home Intruder Six Times after Being Cornered in Attic - YouTube

Congratulations to the Mother for saving herself and her kids. It's too damn bad she did
not use an AR15 to smoke his arse.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
He also used a 22 caliber rifle to kill his family although it was reported he used an AR 15 on his father.
The media reports I heard seemed to want to underscore the fact that an AR 15 was used for one killing and was in the house.

I Agree, but I believe it's the Video gaming that programmed his mind.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Another Mentally Disturbed Person with Access to Guns. Wanted to kill his girlfriends parents and a whole lot of people at Walmart too.

New Mexico Teen Who Killed Family Planned to Shoot Up Walmart: Cops - ABC News
Ban the mentally disturbed.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Not to play fact master but he used a 22 rifle on his family but used the AR 15 on his dad. But he was probably planning on using the AR 15 at the Wal Mart he wanted to go to. Let's hope somebody would have had a gun there....
But he was also heavily into violent video games and movies. If only they didn't have a computer or a TV.....
Sorry, I'm as bad as helenejen.... no excuse for that.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Ban the mentally disturbed.
From what? Killing?

Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,094 times
I would shoot my parents too if they named me that bible crap. LOL Also I think we need to look at the parents. Have you ever watched interviews with Jeffery Dohmers father? That is one creapy dude. Second one is the girl who shot up a school from across the street with a 22lr and when asked why she said "I don't like mondays" Watch her dad. He was one wird fish. I think there is more going on behind the shooters than people know.
Brenda

Barbra Ann Spencer (born April 3, 1962) is a convicted American murderer who carried out a shooting spree from her home in San Diego, on January 29, 1979.

During the shooting spree, she killed two people and injured nine others at Cleveland Elementary School, which was located across the street from her home.

Spencer is best known for her quote "I don't like Mondays," which inspired the song "I Don't Like Mondays" by The Boomtown Rats. The song was a UK number one single for four weeks in mid-1979.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,094 times
Watching violent video games and participating in killing indiscriminately all day long has nothing to do with it. Violent movies that would have been X rated 30 years ago has nothing to do with it. What people see and put into their minds does not affect them at all, not one bit. No sir. Wait that sounds like total BS to me.

I don't care what any study says, if you have a study that says the sky is pink all I have to do is use my mind and eyes and know your full or crap.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:06 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
More guns = more safety, right?

"New Mexico authorities announced on Tuesday that a 15-year-old boy who killed his family with several weapons including an AR-15 military-style assault rifle enjoyed playing “violent” video games and had planned to go to a local Walmart to shoot random people.

Bernalillo County Sheriff Dan Houston told reporters at a press conference that Nehemiah Griego eventually admitted to the murders of his mother, father and three siblings after initially saying that he had come home to find them dead, according to KRQE.

Houston said that Griego had waited for his mother to fall asleep before gaining access to her unlocked bedroom closet to obtain an AR-15, a .22 rifle and two 12-gauge shotguns. Some of the weapons had been purchased by the father through private sales, the investigation found.

“The teen told authorities after killing his family he reloaded his weapons so that he could ‘drive to populated area to murder more people,’” KRQE reported. “He expressed a desire to shoot people at random and eventually be killed while exchanging gunfire with law enforcement.”

Homeschooled teen who killed family with AR-15 plotted Walmart mass shooting | The Raw Story
(Sigh) once again, you blame the firearms and not the people. This kid was obviously more than a half bubble off plumb, and nobody did anything. Denial. It can't happen to us, not our kid etc.
The firearms didn't load and shoot by osmosis. These people had a wacko kid, and blew off the danger. Again, its not the gun pard. Simplicity seems to elude the hoplophobes.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 AM

742 posts, read 678,284 times
According to the artical "A police report from the incident shows that Griego admitted to having "homicidal and suicidal thoughts" in the time leading up to the incident."

Did he not show those thoughts? Why did he have no help? His parents did not see this? Clearly mental illness is involved. No action was taken to prevent violence. Blaming guns, video games, ...is just a cop out that is going to change nothing as we have seen from previous tragedies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies