Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:11 AM

408 posts, read 607,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAgeIs21 View Post
I find it kind of backwards how in today's society racists are compared to Hitler, while ironically in the segregation that lasted until the 1960s, we viewed Hitler as exactly the same. Why can't humans be allowed to have biodiversity and be with their own race at all times if they prefer. I know you can, the whites aren't going anytime soon, but it is the way it is.

Hmm, are we really better off socially today than before the 1960s? What's the mistaken belief?
Huh?

Get back to us when you're a bit older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 05:07 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunValleyRoadKing View Post
Care to go over that again? I think I'm following, but not sure. People are indeed allowed to be as racist as they want, privately. Are you suggesting we should allow discrimination, publicaly?
It's already happing , nothing new, the Republicans!

Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Why don't we let people be racist?

Quote:
I find it kind of backwards how in today's society racists are compared to Hitler, while ironically in the segregation that lasted until the 1960s, we viewed Hitler as exactly the same. Why can't humans be allowed to have biodiversity and be with their own race at all times if they prefer. I know you can, the whites aren't going anytime soon, but it is the way it is.

Hmm, are we really better off socially today than before the 1960s? What's the mistaken belief?
Your racism is safe.

Rejoice.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:21 AM

37,218 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:

If being white, black, or any other race is your most important achievement, it says a great deal about what you have done with your life.

Perhaps you need some larger goals.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 AM

945 posts, read 968,596 times
Quote:

That would be logical, but the term you are looking for is racial preference. Look at the lay of the world, China have imagine this, pretty much only Chinese people. India has indians, africa has blacks, Western Europe whites, etc, etc.

While people will come in droves to tell you forced integration and diversity is the evolution of society you can cite many other instances where the lack of diversity makes society even better.

Just think of how common place it is in USA to worry about racial implications, it takes away from the underlying reason you are doing any given function. (hiring quotas, racial terms, cultural conflicts, etc) It creates emotional reactions, excuses and other unintended consequences.

Another interesting, but anecdotal observation is that if you see the majority of people who do they predominantly surround themselves with? White people have 95% white friends, and usually vice versa with Asian, Blacks and hispanics (you have some exceptions like anything). Since the government has yet to legislate who your friends and family are, you typically have an honest gravitation by the specific person to people they feel most comfortable with.

By some measures we are better off than the 1960's but by others we are not.

I would rather raise a family in 1960's but I would rather have the technological advancements in health and science in 2010's along with the knowledge and educational tools we have now. Pro's and con's to everything, but racism is the wrong word (this means a race is superior to another). I think its racial preference, without necessarily giving a "superior" rank to one race over the other.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:15 AM

What it actually is is the lack there of...a mixed bunch of people from all ethnic backgrounds. This Country ( Canada also ) , was settled first by Northern Europeans being an overwhelming majority. With in that group there were pockets of ethnics, still are, just look at Chicago for example. The make up of these " neighborhoods" was sort of a forced migration. The Polish cam by the ship loads to work in the steel mills via the US Steel owned ships and their recruiting in Poland. The Italians came to work on the railroads, also encouraged by the lack of workers. The Irish came because of extreme poor farming and feeding of the people.. The French and Germans came for opportunity, on their own . The Scandinavian's came for the same reasons but settled in colder places , we had many in the Northern Tier.
The Blacks came in slave ships, they had little choice, same as the Chinese who were brought over to build the western railroads. Yes, these persecuted peoples gathered in their own groups, mostly for survival and later some freedom. In large cities the " neighborhoods " provided comfort of many from all over the globe, language barriers, foods that were more like home, and as well the safety in numbers. Now today, we have a lot of others mostly from Asia that have their own cultural centers and work places most like where they came from. It continues, North America always has been a melting pot for peoples from all over the world. If anything, we are starting to return to earlier times when almost everyone came from some other place...

Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
There's no "mistaken" belief. Racists are supremely ignorant. Their enormous insecurity, narrow-mindedness, and warped sense of reality and people, represents a horrific and detrimental factor on the progression of a multi-cultural society. This country has been cursed by these ignorant people for centuries, and the Conservative party still represents their interests. They stink mightily.

The more this society effectively eliminates or minimizes the effect of these incredibly ignorant bigots, the better off it will be....and don't you forget it either.
LMAO "being enormous insecurity, narrow-mindedness, and warped sense of reality
yet your post is the very same thing.
Okay for you to do it, bad for others to do it
out of the mouths of babes.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
LMAO "being enormous insecurity, narrow-mindedness, and warped sense of reality
yet your post is the very same thing.
Okay for you to do it, bad for others to do it
out of the mouths of babes.
Politics are not the same thing as race or ethnic background. If anything its the political advantages or disadvantages that feed on the bigotry we see today coming from the right.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
have you guys noticed that racism is pretty much a non factor in the upper classes compared to the lower classes? meaning if you make it and are black and in the elite, you are elite, not just 1.a of the white elite.

loveshiscountry says its a defect of the heart. there are more studies coming out saying that racism is a mental defect easily shown in brain scans.

Brain Scans 'Can Detect If Someone Is Racist', Claims Scientific Study

Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 AM

945 posts, read 968,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
have you guys noticed that racism is pretty much a non factor in the upper classes compared to the lower classes? meaning if you make it and are black and in the elite, you are elite, not just 1.a of the white elite.

loveshiscountry says its a defect of the heart. there are more studies coming out saying that racism is a mental defect easily shown in brain scans.

Brain Scans 'Can Detect If Someone Is Racist', Claims Scientific Study

How do you figure? Maybe Hollywood is the exception to the rule, but the only reason we have had a surge of minorities by either GOP or democrats in politics is typically for political gain and to garner votes.

Look at CEO, CFOs and other prestigious positions where real stakes (companies that are for profit) are in play and you see an area devoid of blacks.

Racism is much more prevalent the higher you go up the socio-economic ladder. I see the poorest of kids become one giant mess of ebonics and lacking the most basic of knowledge and embracing the darkest corners of the hip-hop culture.

Right or wrong, that is my impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies