Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

The Negro needs the white man to free him from his fears. The white man needs the Negro to free him from his guilt.

This is on the money. Some use the fear of black people, and the guilt of white people to their advantage and profit.

Things could be much better in this country if each group would acknowledge what MLK said here and apply it to their world view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The Negro needs the white man to free him from his fears. The white man needs the Negro to free him from his guilt.

This is on the money. Some use the fear of black people, and the guilt of white people to their advantage and profit.

Things could be much better in this country if each group would acknowledge what MLK said here and apply it to their world view.
What about white men who think rationally and rightfully feel no guilt?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 AM

799 posts, read 2,440,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
What about white men who think rationally and rightfully feel no guilt?
Dont say that around Jesse Jackson.

Apologize...

(SouthPark reference)

Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
Dont say that around Jesse Jackson.

Apologize...

(SouthPark reference)
I DGAF about Jesse Jackson or any other race pimp in the media today.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Meh, white folks have never felt any guilt from what I can ascertain nor should they at this point, and I'm damn sure NOT scared or fearful.

But I understand what he meant.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh, white folks have never felt any guilt from what I can ascertain nor should they at this point, and I'm damn sure NOT scared or fearful.

Exactly, at the time it was spoken I could understand it meaning something but at this point in history it has little to no meaning on current feelings.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Exactly, at the time it was spoken I could understand it meaning something but at this point in history it has little to no meaning on current feelings.
Yea...it was a time appropriate comment, although I'm not so sure that its completely non applicable for today. But from a personal standpoint, its not applicable to me. I never bought into the so called existence of white guilt, and in white people, I see nothing that makes me fearful. Dismay sometimes, yes, but never fearful.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:11 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,800,839 times
Hmmmm, me personally I like the teachings of Malcolm X but I like Martin as well. They both spoke a lot of truth but on different spectrums. It's a shame, that most males of dark skin still inherit the slave mentality, but also want people to be guilty and or ashamed that they were born with melonin in their skin; think that someone owes them something and that they should not have to work; I see that in some females of dark skin as well. I'm glad my mother did not possess that child-like mentality, and went out to take care of her children. She made me strong too. If only as a community, we become "warriors" being a village for our children, keeping the drugs and violence off our streets, bringing money in our community. This verse should not be preached anymore, we need to look to another verse about unity, community, love for one another, that we deserve good for ourselves, and not look to another person for validation to live, to want, to succeed.

But this is only my opinion.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I've never felt guilt because I wasn't alive 150 years ago and I've treated everyone I've met and worked with as equal. It was the way I was raised and the way we raised three kids.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 AM

344 posts, read 427,581 times
How would Al Shaprton and Jesse Jackson make a living if it werent for racism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies