Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I TOTALLY agree. I mean, we've been treated to photos of "jumpers" ad nauseum, photos of charred Americans' bodies hanging from bridges with people dancing beneath them, photos of bloodied CHILDREN climbing desperately out of windows at Columbine, the bloated bodies of women floating in the streets of New Orleans, CHILDREN being swallowed by tsunamis, etc. And don't even get me started on Daniel Pearl or all the horrible videos one can find of actual events on YouTube.

I'm not saying that the media SHOULD publish those photos or videos - what I'm saying is that media or NO media, onlookers with cell phones take photos and videos, whether it's tasteful or not. I have a friend whose husband was killed in a fiery accident. Someone videoed the accident and guess what - they ran it on the local news over and over and over again. Everytime my friend turned on the news, she risked having to watch her husband burned alive.

Sheeze.

So my point is - there's such an absence of photos and videos from the media AND onlookers. Don't even tell me that parents waiting in a room of hundreds of other parents don't think to take photos - sadly, there are people even in that horrible scenario who would take photos that would show crowds of parents. Same with the kids being taken out of the school. It's a sad truth that even in the most horrible situations, in this digital age, people somehow have the presence of mind (or lack of it) to actually take photos and videos. Then they sell them, and the media runs them. It's the nature of the game.

This is not a "game." When was the last time in this country that tiny little kids were violently slaughtered by a lone gunman or by numerous gunmen? Were lots of photos published then? Perhaps this case is the exception which proves your little rule about people taking photos and videos.

Your strong belief that the "digital age" has destroyed all human decency if very interesting. How many photos to you want of parents experiencing the most heartbreaking news they will probably ever experience, how many photos of gawkers to you want? And AGAIN, how would those photos clear up the inconsistencies in reporting you've been complaining about? That a reasonable question and so far I haven't seen an answer from you.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:00 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Why do you want to make it hard for me to see your list? That doesn't make sense. You want us to believe that your ONLY concern is the inconsistencies in reporting, yet when given the opportunity to make that point again, you tell me to go look for it in this thread?

I'm saying that it seems to me that this concern about the inconsistencies and "holes" in the reporting of this story is just a smoke screen to confuse people and provide some justification for attacking the White House and the MANY VARIOUS MEMBERS of the media (the "media" is NOT a vast monolithic ONE which is controlled by a monolithic "government").
omg. Just go back and look through the thread. They are there. I don't have time to dig around for something that you want to see. I've already seen it because I wrote the lists. If you want to see them, look for them. They are in the thread. I am not making it hard for you. Give me a break.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
So my point is - there's such an absence of photos and videos from the media AND onlookers. Don't even tell me that parents waiting in a room of hundreds of other parents don't think to take photos - sadly, there are people even in that horrible scenario who would take photos that would show crowds of parents. Same with the kids being taken out of the school. It's a sad truth that even in the most horrible situations, in this digital age, people somehow have the presence of mind (or lack of it) to actually take photos and videos. Then they sell them, and the media runs them. It's the nature of the game.
Seriously? If you did not know if your child was dead or alive, and you were standing in a room full of parents in the same situation, you would pull out your smartphone and start snapping pics, with the thought of selling them for profit. That's what YOU think terrified-out-of-their-minds parents would do?? Sheez....

Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
One thing I want to point out is that, in Connecticut, people are very reserved. We are private, don't sensationalize, don't exaggerate and generally shy away from cameras. We frown upon people snapping photos just to make a story. The media recognized this immediately, and left Connecticut pretty quickly. Why? Very few people were allowing them to capitalize on their story. Also, I know firsthand, that teachers and staff have been asked to refrain from conducting interviews, so students don't see them on TV, thus reliving the experience.

The Connecticut State Police are known for being among the most professional LEA in the nation. They have been tight lipped about their findings, as they should be. More information will come out as the investigation comes to a close.

The evening of the tragedy, I went to a mass in downtown Sandy Hook. When walking to and from the mass, reporters were begging for an interview from everyone and anyone. Not one person stopped to grant them a story. Not one.

This is a prime example of the people of Connecticut exhibiting class, maintaining a professional and determined demeanor, and not allowing the media to exploit them.

Our country gets by on sensationalism, and when people are refused facts, they resort to their own, skewed conclusions, as seen in this thread.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
This is not a "game." When was the last time in this country that tiny little kids were violently slaughtered by a lone gunman or by numerous gunmen? Were lots of photos published then? Perhaps this case is the exception which proves your little rule about people taking photos and videos.
This is the intellectual dishonesty that threatens intelligent discourse. I think we all know what was meant by the term "game" yet some of us choose to be obtuse. We all know the media and how invasive and callous they act. It's part of the GAME (or industry or job or craft - you choose your noun) that we've become accustomed to.

Quote:
Your strong belief that the "digital age" has destroyed all human decency if very interesting. How many photos to you want of parents experiencing the most heartbreaking news they will probably ever experience, how many photos of gawkers to you want? And AGAIN, how would those photos clear up the inconsistencies in reporting you've been complaining about? That a reasonable question and so far I haven't seen an answer from you.
She and others have addressed this point you keep belaboring. The thread is nearly 60 pages long. If you can't understand the comparison being made between Sandy Hook and other American tragedies as they relate to media coverage - from media outlets and private citizens - then I don't know what to tell you.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
http://newtownbee.com/PDFFiles/Speci...%20Edition.pdf

Please scroll down to the bottom of page 7. There, you can see parents anxiously waiting.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times

This might help explain why there weren't enough photos to satisfy your morbid curiosity.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
One thing I want to point out is that, in Connecticut, people are very reserved. We are private, don't sensationalize, don't exaggerate and generally shy away from cameras. We frown upon people snapping photos just to make a story. The media recognized this immediately, and left Connecticut pretty quickly. Why? Very few people were allowing them to capitalize on their story. Also, I know firsthand, that teachers and staff have been asked to refrain from conducting interviews, so students don't see them on TV, thus reliving the experience.

The Connecticut State Police are known for being among the most professional LEA in the nation. They have been tight lipped about their findings, as they should be. More information will come out as the investigation comes to a close.

The evening of the tragedy, I went to a mass in downtown Sandy Hook. When walking to and from the mass, reporters were begging for an interview from everyone and anyone. Not one person stopped to grant them a story. Not one.

This is a prime example of the people of Connecticut exhibiting class, maintaining a professional and determined demeanor, and not allowing the media to exploit them.

Our country gets by on sensationalism, and when people are refused facts, they resort to their own, skewed conclusions, as seen in this thread.

To address your point in red, do you not think it fair for citizens around the country to note the differences of coverage between tragedies? Most people on this thread have not jumped to any conclusions that I've seen. Rather, we've asked questions and shared ideas.

I appreciate your unique viewpoint and explanation. I think it's a fair judgment and akin to what happened after the Amish school shooting in PA.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Well, you posted this in response to me so.....

You're right about the gun nut comment, it was a different poster.

I already answered your second question with a partial list of where I get my news and the list included mainstream news sources so you can relax.
But you haven't specifically identified one non-MM source that you consider more credible than the MM. Surely you can select one out of your stable of "multiple sources."

Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
1. What was Lanza's motive?

2. Did Lanza have an official diagnosis of some kind? All we have heard on this is hearsay.

3. Was he caught on video shooting his way into the school? We know the school had a camera at the door, was he caught on tape?

4. How did he get a hold of his brother, Ryan's ID, if he hadn't seen him in the two years prior to the shooting?

5. Why was the suspect caught in the woods initially reported to be Adam Lanza, and then Ryan Lanza and then a distraught father and now an off duty swat officer all in the course of one months time?

6. How did a scrawny young man shoot and kill so many people with such accuracy in such a short time span without leaving more people wounded?

7. Why did the police initially report that only handguns were used in the shooting and then later change the story to only an assault rifle was used?

8. Why were emergency responders, who came to assist, turned away at the scene?

9. Why did school nurse, Sally Cox, tell reporters that Adam's mother Nancy was a wonderful Kindergarten teacher at Sandy Hook when in fact she had no connection to the school whatsoever and was never a teacher of any kind?

10. What's up with Gene Rosen's many inconsistent and odd stories about helping students from Sotos' classroom?

11. If Gene really did help these 6 children then how was he able to do that when all children were reported to have been killed?

12. How did the Newtown Bee manage to interview the Principal of the school in the aftermath of the shooting if she was the first person killed?

13. Why was there aerial camera footage on CNN saying that they were reporting from Sandy Hook when they really were not at Sandy Hook?

14. Why did Lanza destroy his computer's hard drive if he was just going to kill himself at the sound of sirens anyway?

15. Why is the search warrant for Lanza's home sealed for 90 days. No one is going to trial if this is in fact a lone gunman, since he's dead, why the secrecy?

16. Why were the parents not given the option to view their children's bodies? And why were the parents OK with this?

17. How do so many parents interviewed on camera manage to not shed a single tear while talking about their murdered child? Not one tear? And yes, I have had many people close to me die and I have known mothers who have lost their children. It's plausible that some people would not shed tears but it's not plausible that everyone would not shed tears.

18. Why was Victoria Sotot's FB memorial page set up 4 days prior to the shooting?

19. Who sets up a donation page on FB prior to even knowing if one's child is alive, wounded or dead (Parker family)?

20. Why were the bodies removed in the middle of the night?

21. Why was the car that supposedly belonged to Adam Lanza's mothers (and the one with the weapon in the trunk) registered to a convicted felon who was unrelated to the the Lanza's?

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. I realize that some of the above can be chalked up to initial chaotic and very shoddy reporting but certainly not all of it. And if one can chalk up all of it to shoddy reporting then we need an immediate overhaul of our media. Like, yesterday!
For those of you who keep asking for Dorthy's list of questions, here ya go!

I had also asked the following questions:

Was the photo of the kids in a line taken the day of the shooting, or was it from a drill at some previous time? If a photographer was present the day of the shooting to get that ONE now well-known photo, why did s/he not take any other photos of the evacuation? If this photo was from a drill on a previous day, that doesn't mean the shooting was a hoax, but why doesn't the media truthfully tell us when that photo was taken?

Why does the aerial photography of what was supposedly Sandy Hook School includes features that are not part of the Sandy Hook property? If the helicopters were somehow circling over the wrong school, and some of the photos we've seen were not actually SH, why doesn't the media admit this error and clear up the confusion?

I will repeat: I absolutely DO believe the shootings occurred, I am not a gun nut, I do not own a gun, but the media has done a very poor job of addressing the inconsistencies and errors in their reporting in regard to this story. Every news outlet in the country must be aware of the "conspiracy theories" abounding. It seems to me they would want to address the questions.

Last edited by kayanne; 01-23-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies