Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Why are the photos so important to you? Many posters have posted perfectly reasonable explanations for why there might be fewer photos for this tragedy than for others. How many photos would you have to see in order for you to no longer be in a state of wonder??
Ray, just a friendly reminder that I answered your question about media sources in post #577. Just making sure you saw that because the endless string of questions about it has grown quite tiresome.

Carry on.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Any time you have a photo of an identifiable child in a newspaper, it's not published unless the parental consent is obtained.
I don't believe that is true in most states.
Child Photography or Videotaping Consent Laws | Lawyers.com

Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
It is quite possible (in fact likely) to distrust (therefore attempt to discredit) the mainstream media, without having any other source of TRULY CREDIBLE information. I absolutely don't trust everything I read in the newspaper, or see on CNN, or any other news channel. I know that it has all been spun and approved to convey exactly the slant desired by the media owners.

I can spot inconsistencies and curiosities in the media reporting (BTW, I watch all the major networks, and subscribe to my local paper and WSJ, plus read news on Yahoo, since you're very curious as to everyone's news gathering habits), but unfortunately I don't have an entirely credible news source. No one does.

I don't know why some posters keep asking where do we get our credible info. I get the same INcredible info that everyone else does.

no "wtf" needed, tyvm
Very well said and very true for me as well.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No one said the school shooting was fake. As a matter of fact, all of the people posting the questions about media coverage firmly and explicitly stated we know the shooting happened. Way to read the thread. Or even the first 5 pages of it.
Exactly. It's tiring being accused of saying things that one never said.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:00 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Ray, just a friendly reminder that I answered your question about media sources in post #577. Just making sure you saw that because the endless string of questions about it has grown quite tiresome.

Carry on.
Dorthy, could you post a link to your post #577. I don't want to take the time to scroll through and figure out which page it was on.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:03 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
17. How do so many parents interviewed on camera manage to not shed a single tear while talking about their murdered child? Not one tear? And yes, I have had many people close to me die and I have known mothers who have lost their children. It's plausible that some people would not shed tears but it's not plausible that everyone would not shed tears. Be careful. Isn't that the same sort of presumptuousness that sent an innocent Lindy Chamberlain to prison? You do not know how someone else "should" act if you are not them. Further, the parents who were not be able to contain their grief are unlikely to have agreed to appear on camera for that very reason.

DORTHY: Are you saying that I could go to prison for asking this question. Yikes!!!

Um, don't want to quote the entire list at once, so I copied this q out and will do so with the others, but I was a little put off by this response. Why on earth would you read something like that into what I said?????

Lindy Chamberlain ("A dingo ate my baby". Remember????) was the reference. THE POINT was that she was not only villified for not showing the "proper" amount of emotion over losing her infant, it was decided that not being emotional enough meant that she had murdered her baby. She went to prison for years until evidence that a dingo really did kill her child was found by accident. What some are doing--sneering at grieving parents for not acting grief-stricken enough--is exactly that same behavior.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:03 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
What
would
be
the
motivation?

One last time.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Dorthy, could you post a link to your post #577. I don't want to take the time to scroll through and figure out which page it was on.
I might have to since I imagine that the accusations that I never answered ray's burning question, "where does Dorthy get her news" will be flying again any minute now.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:06 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What
would
be
the
motivation?

One last time.
Maybe if you bothered to read the thread, you wouldn't have to pain your fingers with useless typing of a question that has been addressed several times over the last 78 pages. 78.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What
would
be
the
motivation?

One last time.
:drool: huh? sorry, I fell asleep. can you repeat the question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies