Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 04:49 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
When my daughter was 6, we realized she didn't understand how to correctly use quotes. She would say, "We're having 'pizza' for dinner." And we would laugh and explain that we really were having pizza, so no need for the quotes.
I thought this was just a problem for young children. But this thread has proven that lots of people don't know how to appropriately use quotation marks for emphasis and/or irony. It's even been pointed out a couple of times. Apparently my husband and I should start a nationwide class in learning how to use quotation marks.
If you're going to belittle people, try to at least use correct grammar in your post.

The “Blog” of “Unnecessary” Quotation Marks The Blog of Unnecessary Quotes

Not only is this post off-topic but also...no one gives a "Flying F". Since when do we need to write our posts in APA style?

Old 01-23-2013, 04:52 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Sure.

I honestly believe there is an agenda behind these types of questions, and I believe many reasonable explanations have been given, yet the same questions get put out again, and they are actually fairly ambiguous questions at that. Smoke screen is not a buzz word but IMO an accurate description of what's taking place in these kinds of discussions. smokescreen - definition of smokescreen by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

MightyQueen's style is to let you save face, which is admirable. I might consider doing the same if it weren't for things like this, which are rather patronizing, the first words in your post:
"I have a little assignment for you FF."
You are absolutely right about the opening words of my post. I went back to some interior painting I've been doing, and literally while I was up on a ladder, I began thinking and regretting those words, which were, as you say, patronizing. I was being reactive in that instance, and was not behaving in the respectful standard that I try to follow. I sincerely apologize. (I also regretted, and now apologize, for saying you had contributed little of substance.)

I don't care much about saving face, but I found it nice that Mighty had info that was valuable to me, and even though she had posted it previously, she didn't make a stink about my oversight. She simply posted it again for my benefit, and I appreciate her for that.

As I have skimmed through this massive thread, it is a bit disheartening, though, to see how many negative and accusatory posts there have been, versus how much has actually contributed to a greater understanding of the confusion surrounding this horrific tragedy.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Once again, the area was very likely sealed off to all but people who had a need to be there. These people were working and not hanging around taking pictures. Most of them were probably horrified.
Ok, so the lack of pictures from the ground is "explained." Now, since their were news helicopters on the scene within less than half an hour, can you explain why there has been no video footage of the evacuation of 600+ people? For that matter, can you explain why the news outlets showed aerial footage of the police storming the wrong school while saying it was footage of Sandy Hook?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
True, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything.

I already posted the study that analyzed decades of school shootings and found that two-thirds of the shooters got the weapons used in their crimes at home. And that 1/2 knew how to operate guns. Maybe it's not such a good idea to teach children to shoot.

I suggest that gun-owning parents should rid their house of guns if they have sons with emotional problems. Not just lock the guns up, but store the guns elsewhere for a while. It is up to gun owners to start taking some responsibility to prevent future shootings. Because the majority of these weapons are coming from gun-owning parents' homes, not illegal trafficking.

Curing mental illness, not so easy. Armed guards at schools? No guarantee of security. Ridding the house of guns? Easily done, and if enough parents did this, it might prevent the next school shooting.
Sensible, and gave you a rep point for it! I'm a little cynical sometimes.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Ok, so the lack of pictures from the ground is "explained." Now, since their were news helicopters on the scene within less than half an hour, can you explain why there has been no video footage of the evacuation of 600+ people? For that matter, can you explain why the news outlets showed aerial footage of the police storming the wrong school while saying it was footage of Sandy Hook?
IRT your first question, the school was probably evacuated before the copters got there, if they arrived 1/2 hour later. I didn't even know about the second issue; I don't read all these conspiracy websites, but I have known of such things happening in the past.

Are you saying that the shootings didn't happen?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:10 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Thank you!

I guess now the conspiracy sites will upload this, too! Right? ; )

Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Not only is this post off-topic but also...no one gives a "Flying F". Since when do we need to write our posts in APA style?
O_o

Old 01-23-2013, 06:16 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
They weren't even "storming it". They were performing a drill AFAIR.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, I was living in the Denver metro area when Columbine happened (still do live there, BTW). We got a lot more media stuff than everyone else, and yet, I do not recall one picture of any "minor with gunshot wounds" from that horror.

Quick Google search:
Spoiler

The picture above is of a teen who was very gravely injured (by bullets) and was shown repeatedly, on live television and then afterwards, bleeding profusely as he managed to crawl out a window.

There are many more but I really don't want to post them. I just can hardly believe you don't recall this coverage. Wow. I've never been able to forget these images.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
By the way, thank you MightyQueen and Ellemint, for your intelligent, patient, and non accusatory responses throughout this thread. Thanks for keeping your end of things classy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies