Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
roqual,
You fell for Obama's classwarfare tripe. Don't worry many people fall for political BS.

Romney pays a higher effective tax rate than the middle class. I am glad that I am helping inform people and break the campaign lie from Obama's camp.

Is Romney's effective tax rate lower than yours? - Jan. 18, 2012
Thats not true - when you include other federal taxes such as payroll tax, Romney pays a lower rate:

Romney paid 14% effective tax rate in 2011 - Sep. 21, 2012

Despite him losing badly, I still want to see his tax returns from 2007-onwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 PM

89,009 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Thats not true - when you include other federal taxes such as payroll tax, Romney pays a lower rate:

Lower by only 1/4 of 1%. Adding the 5.65% SS and Medicare tax to the following tax rates I posted above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Absolutely correct. The top 10-25% pay an average effective federal income tax rate of only 8.70%. The top 25-50% pay an average effective federal income tax rate of only 6.01%. Romney paid a higher rate than that - nearly twice as much, in fact.
Latest Federal Income Tax Data
...yields a total average effective federal income tax rate of 14.35% for the top 10-25%. According to the CNN article, Romney paid a total effective federal income tax rate of 14.1%.

The top 25-50% STILL paid a lower total effective federal income tax rate than Romney, at 11.66%.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And if there is no earned income, then what?
Refundable credits.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
EITC is actually welfare. Incentive welfare, but welfare. It has merit but I would eliminate it completely.

The goal should be to have every able-bodied American working and contributing to the best of his ability. To that end, politicians decided that offering programs like refundable tax credits and EITC would incentivize people to work. On the other hand, the same rocket scientists enact polices which contradict full-employment. And the programs have more loopholes than any rich guy could dream of.

If they tied the benefits to full-time employment and didn't penalize employers we would quickly see millions return to work.

We could quickly enact E-verify. The Illegals are placeholders. They would self-deport in many cases.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:24 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Off topic but Romney paid payroll taxes on the last return he released. In fact, because his income was self-employment income, he paid both halves.

His earned income was about $500,000 if I remember.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,599,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochuck View Post
I paid in about $5000 in federal taxes. I have a co worker who has a daughter that is unemployed, has no ambition to work, on welfare, a single mother of 4 children, all have different fathers. She is getting a $4000 refund. How does she get a refund like that? A refund suggests she paid something in.
This is whats wrong with America.

I have seen this story from trolls before. I will never beLIEve this story.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 AM

26,494 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post

Despite him losing badly, I still want to see his tax returns from 2007-onwards.
Stop being a poor baby.

You are now crying that you have to help pay for your own retirement?!?!

Mitt Romney has said that he is willing to forego his social security benefits - so you can stop with the theatrics and fuzzy math.

P.S. Obama still lied about effective income tax rates.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 AM

26,494 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I have seen this story from trolls before. I will never beLIEve this story.
Play around with the tax calculator.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:41 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Close, but not quite. ALL individual households (NOT just the top 1%) AND non-profit organizations own only 36% of the equities.

As far as financials...

The top 1% does NOT own what you claim they do. Stop your lies, please.
The charts you found contains no information about who owns what. It breaks down ownership in broad terms like households, or private pensions, etc. Those charts don't break it down specifically which is why you chose that representation, because it uses vague categories that can mislead.

The information i found is specific it says what percentage of the population owns what percentage of wealth. This is what we are talking about the top 1% controls a huge amount of the wealth in this nation and the top 10% controls nearly everything.

Therefore equity and business wealth is not broadly shared in this nation that is an objective fact.

Now stop lying and go educate yourself. Have some integrity.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
So you paid $500k in taxes? Sorry, I really can't believe that unless you own a fairly large business or the CEO of a business. But what you say about making less income to pay the Feds less is happening more and more these days with CEO's bending the rules by giving themselves a $1 salary and giving themselves exclusive stock options worth millions. That's how they avoid paying taxes now.
Nope. I am a physician who makes a fairly large income, but have other sources of revenue as well. I usually pay about $500K and get $60-70K back after taxes.

Many of my friends are doing the same thing- making less money for 2013. We do not need high incomes, as we are "set", and therefore would rather have a lower W-2 to prevent the feds from heisting more money. No one wants to give those bums a higher percentage of income.

Now why in the world do you think Warren Buffet (who "wants to pay more taxes") keeps his W-2 income as low as possible in order to avoid paying taxes? Investment income is taxed at a lower rate and trusts have excellent tax benefits.

I would offer that the higher tax rate (as has been shown in the past and Obama acknowledged is true in the 2008 primaries) will REDUCE federal income and accomplish NOTHING- nothing except a less robust economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies