Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You voted for Obama, no? That's a pretty strong statement of self-hatred.
How do you who I voted for? I'm a libertarian, and supported Johnson in the election.

But you said "they hate hard-working taxpayers" (more or less), so how do you figure that when most of us are hard-working taxpayers too?

Quote:
Facts you say? These are the facts:Study debunks journalistic image of rich 'Latte' Democrats, poor 'NASCAR' Republicans | Newsroom | Washington University in St. Louis

And continues to this day:

Seems you're factually deficient.
No, it seems the facts themselves are deficient - seeing as many reliable sources say otherwise, and your "facts" too have been debunked. I can't check easily right now, since I'm on an iPhone, but I am quite sure these numbers have been analyzed & explained (the conclusion being that Dems tend to have more extremes, whereas Reps more often lie in the middle).

I guess we'll never know for sure, since they don't ask your political affiliation on job applications, tax forms, or welfare applications. You can't even really go by voting records, since many people are moderate or independent & vote for the "lesser of two evils." This is why I generally refrain from making gross assumptions about people I don't know. Will you ever learn that skill?

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-22-2013 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 PM

Btw, how do you explain this map? http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/acsbr11-02.pdf

Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No, it seems the facts themselves are deficient - seeing as many reliable sources say otherwise, and your "facts" too have been debunked.
No, they haven't. You're in denial. The facts are self-evident from the ACTUAL data:

Liberals are overwhelmingly TAKERS, and conservatives are overwhelmingly CONTRIBUTORS. The FACTS are what they are.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Btw, how do you explain this map? http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/acsbr11-02.pdf
Significant differences in cost of living, among other things.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Significant differences in cost of living, among other things.
And how do people in these Democrat-majority areas afford the COL? According to some people here, we must be paying for those homes with welfare checks!

My whole point is that these stupid insults (liberals are all on welfare, don't pay taxes, etc) are completely baseless attacks. That "47%" of which Romney spoke does NOT all vote Dem, and you know that as well as I do... why do you think he even ticked off a bunch of conservatives with that comment?

Old 01-23-2013, 02:33 AM

Quote:
No, they haven't. You're in denial. The facts are self-evident from the ACTUAL data:

Liberals are overwhelmingly TAKERS, and conservatives are overwhelmingly CONTRIBUTORS. The FACTS are what they are.
Overwhelmingly, huh? I don't see any overwhelming disparities there, especially if you consider the points I raised above. Besides, your first graph says nothing about political affiliation, so I don't even know how to analyze that one! And the second chart appears to be a poll from the election year, which shifted pretty dramatically in a short period of time... show me some stats from the last decade, and then maybe we can talk more about it. I'm honestly confused at this point, since each study/poll seems to contradict the next.

Oh yeah, and now that I've had a chance to really read this article, I have to ask where you see "proof" in here? It says nothing of any significance, outside of the fact that voting patterns are more socially/culturally-driven than financially. Actually, there are a few points that agree more with my statements than yours.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-23-2013 at 03:02 AM..

Old 01-23-2013, 04:24 AM

26,463 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
If I earn $100,000 I pay tax on it. Let's assume I am left with $75,000 after taxes. I do not pay further taxes on it. If I invest that $75k I will owe taxes on that portion of the investment that is profitable, when and if I sell it. Let's assume I do make a $5000 profit and sell the investment in 2 years. I now owe a 15% capital gains tax on $5000.

If on the otherhand, my investment lost money and I sold, I can use that loss to offset future gains and do so indefinitely.

The maxium capital gains tax rate for manyy of the prior 60 years ranged between 25-39.875 %. Many of those years were the best years in terms of the economy and did not prevent anyone from investing in innovation.

Those who prefer no capital gains taxes are free to move to countries with no income taxes. Instead of paying income taxes, you will pay otherworldly import taxes on everything you consume.
What do you mean by offset future gains indefinitely with losses? You only get one time to sell at a loss and use that loss to help your tax returns.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
And how do people in these Democrat-majority areas afford the COL? According to some people here, we must be paying for those homes with welfare checks!
Yes, they live there via the receipt of multiple forms of public assistance. And is it really that hard for you to understand that the welfare-dependent live in subsidized housing and the inner-cities?

Quote:
My whole point is that these stupid insults (liberals are all on welfare, don't pay taxes, etc) are completely baseless attacks. That "47%" of which Romney spoke does NOT all vote Dem, and you know that as well as I do... why do you think he even ticked off a bunch of conservatives with that comment?
I never said all. The data is very clear, though. The TAKERS overwhelmingly vote Democrat while the CONTRIBUTORS overwhelmingly vote Republican. The WUSTL study provides data that proves that's been true for DECADES. You just don't like hearing and seeing the indisputable truth.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Overwhelmingly, huh? I don't see any overwhelming disparities there, especially if you consider the points I raised above. Besides, your first graph says nothing about political affiliation, so I don't even know how to analyze that one! And the second chart appears to be a poll from the election year, which shifted pretty dramatically in a short period of time... show me some stats from the last decade.
Sure, here you go. Look specifically at income and education levels...
[IMG]
http://www.people-press.org/files/legacy-commentary/95-4.gif[/IMG]

Source: Democrats Gain Edge in Party Identification | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

Quote:
Oh yeah, and now that I've had a chance to really read this article, I have to ask where you see "proof" in here? It says nothing of any significance, outside of the fact that voting patterns are more socially/culturally-driven than financially. Actually, there are a few points that agree more with my statements than yours.
Since when is taking from others and dependency on public assistance not a specific social culture?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
I'm paying about 12% this year because of moving expenses, etc. I always find it funny, do you really know all of your coworkers income? Is she really telling you the true refund amount?

My mother usually brought home about 3000 a year with earned income credit, because she fell below the poverty line, generally got back almost all she paid in. But I never looked at it as a hand out, because she needed that money just to make ends meet for her and my sisters.

A wise man says, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies