Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So you are in denial that our country was founded on Christian principles, really? Where did I say that the Christian religion was mentioned in the Constitution and what has that to do with it anyway?
Define the "Christian principles" which are not part of other religions as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Define the "Christian principles" which are not part of other religions as well.
Excellent question, particularly given that the first "commandments" were the 42 Egyptian commandments written around 16 B.C.

Some of them were:

I shall not commit adultery OR rape
I shall not kill
I shall not rob
I shall not lie
I shall not fornicate with children
I shall not be proud
I shall not blaspheme God
I shall not be proud
I shall not transgress
I shall not be predatory
I shall not be neglectful

And more

Old 01-23-2013, 07:04 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
You're joking, right? Some share some of the same principles and some share hardly any of them.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
They should jettison the rabid religious right, teapartiers and neocons and re-embrace actual conservative ideals which the GOP once stood for a few decades ago in the pre-Reagan era.

It has become quite clear they should learn not to speak on topics such as female reproduction, science and global politics. Because whenever they do they come across as Dark Aged imbeciles.

An actual conervative would never want gov't interference in the rights of consenting adult couples to marry based on their gender. An actual conservative would never want gov't interference into the reproductive choices of individuals.

The abortion issue is a canard. Roe v. Wade will never be overturned (nor should it be) and even if it were, the question of abortion would simply revert back to state's rights. It's not as if all 50 states are going to ban abortion or regulate it into nonexistence.
Here is the problem: How do you change a true believer's mind? A true believer is a person who hangs on to his beliefs no matter how they are challenged, and now matter how nonsensical they are.

Personally, I don't think those minds can be changed. So what are the Republicans to do? I don't think they can jettison a big part of their loyal base; all those true believers grouse and moan about how their party betrays them, but the continue to vote Republican anyway.

The religious true believers will never let Roe v Wade go, even though it has proven to be a consistent losing issue. They will never quit attempting to inject protestant religion anywhere they can into government. They too only complain about how their party ignores them, but they, too consistently vote only for the Republicans.

These groups have alienated hispanic immigrants. They have done nothing but put up one roadblock after another. They never accept anything less than 100%, and never get anything because they will not compromise.

It's easy to say the Republican party should just give them all the boot, but that's danged hard to do when they constitute much of the base.

I don't believe anything but time will fix their problems. All this started in the 1970's, and our society has greatly changed since then. All the true believers will only succeed if they can recruit new believers who are the same age now as they were then. If the true believers can't do this, they'll thin out naturally from age. And I think only age will remove their influence within their party.

But a large part of the Republican division has come about due to the recession and the hard times that followed. It may be that prosperity will remove their influence. Prosperity takes away anger and fear, and that's the true believer's stocks in trade.
If prosperity works, all it will take are a few brave Republican leaders who will risk losing their jobs to do what they can to further prosperity and the conservative tides may turn. But that will mean working under a Democratic President, and the likelihood of other Democratic Presidents to come.

Until enough of the conservative Congress people can come to live with that, nothing will change. I do not believe Republicans can ever make nice with the immigrants, the women and the young voters for many years. They have damaged themselves too deeply to make the conservative brand attractive for a long time.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:48 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

. I do not believe Republicans can ever make nice with the immigrants, the women and the young voters for many years. They have damaged themselves too deeply to make the conservative brand attractive for a long time.
and the changing demographics will simply intensify the problems they face.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:33 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're joking, right? Some share some of the same principles and some share hardly any of them.
You're dodging - we're talking mainstream religions here. Don't bother to use your mouse.
OK let's pick one, the right-wing-hated Islam.
Understanding Islam: Beliefs and Teachings—The Complete Idiot’s Quick Guide

Myths About Islam - Top 10 Myths About Islam

Basic Beliefs of Christians and Muslims

Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Here is the problem: How do you change a true believer's mind? A true believer is a person who hangs on to his beliefs no matter how they are challenged, and now matter how nonsensical they are.

Personally, I don't think those minds can be changed. So what are the Republicans to do? I don't think they can jettison a big part of their loyal base; all those true believers grouse and moan about how their party betrays them, but the continue to vote Republican anyway.

The religious true believers will never let Roe v Wade go, even though it has proven to be a consistent losing issue. They will never quit attempting to inject protestant religion anywhere they can into government. They too only complain about how their party ignores them, but they, too consistently vote only for the Republicans.

These groups have alienated hispanic immigrants. They have done nothing but put up one roadblock after another. They never accept anything less than 100%, and never get anything because they will not compromise.

It's easy to say the Republican party should just give them all the boot, but that's danged hard to do when they constitute much of the base.

I don't believe anything but time will fix their problems. All this started in the 1970's, and our society has greatly changed since then. All the true believers will only succeed if they can recruit new believers who are the same age now as they were then. If the true believers can't do this, they'll thin out naturally from age. And I think only age will remove their influence within their party.

But a large part of the Republican division has come about due to the recession and the hard times that followed. It may be that prosperity will remove their influence. Prosperity takes away anger and fear, and that's the true believer's stocks in trade.
If prosperity works, all it will take are a few brave Republican leaders who will risk losing their jobs to do what they can to further prosperity and the conservative tides may turn. But that will mean working under a Democratic President, and the likelihood of other Democratic Presidents to come.

Until enough of the conservative Congress people can come to live with that, nothing will change. I do not believe Republicans can ever make nice with the immigrants, the women and the young voters for many years. They have damaged themselves too deeply to make the conservative brand attractive for a long time.
Nice with "immigrants"? Hispanic "immigrants". Don't make me laugh! You know damned well they are only opposed to illegal immigrants. Please don't blur the lines between those two groups. It is blatantly dishonest. If they are pissing any Hispanics off it is the ethnocentric kind who think their ethnic group should be above our immigration laws and rewarded for breaking them. Who wants racists like them on their side?

Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post

Actually it doesn't, but like your other poor understanding issues with the Bible, you've been brainwashed by an English translation. However, I will also point out the Bible is against working on the Sabbath or wearing cotton and polyester clothing too.
please stop misrepresenting the Torah. you claim to be Jewish and quote Jewish sources but never get them right.
1. there is no prohibition of wearing cotton and polyester clothing. (it only wool and linen)
2. Shabbos and Shatnetz are only for Jews as opposed to gay relations which are forbidden for everybody
3. In fact non Jews are not supposed to keep sabbath.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:37 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times
I wish the GOP would cut their staffs by 20 percent and put forth their own budget with 10 percent cut in spending across the board. Send it to the Senate and let them work with it.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Currently, several states say marriage is between a man and a woman, a man and a man, or a woman and a woman. Also DOMA has been ruled unconstitutional by man courts, and is going to be heard by the USSC.

Laws can be wrong, and it is our responsibility as Americans to make them right. At one time the LAW said it was ok to own other humans, at one time the LAW said women couldn't vote. We changes those unjust laws, just like we are changing other unjust laws now.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness isn't just for those that you agree with, it is for ALL Americans.
Yes, laws can be wrong... Funny how when the abortion issue is questioned, the libs want to say "Roe vs Wade" Why can't that law be changed? You can't have it both ways.
And, as president, it is not Obamas job to decide which laws to enforce or not. He has intentionally enforced some laws while intentionally not enforcing others. His true colors have been seen, and they are NOT red, white & blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies