Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:35 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,385,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
As an atheist I don't mind the use of the term "god" as long as no particular "god" is singled out as being representative of the U.S. The term "god" is sort of meaingless anyway as it means something different to virtually every individual. I do think the need to use the term "god" is pretty pathetic as it really (literally) does nothing to change a damn thing. You could swap "god" for "frankensnoozle" and you will get the same results.
I think I love you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,105 times
Let's learn about ceremonial deism:

Ceremonial deism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,546 posts, read 16,524,552 times
The founding fathers clearly stated that this is a nation of religious freedom.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:38 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,385,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Wasn't he actually sworn in Sunday? If so, then today's show was just a public spectacle, nothing official.

The Australian Open re-play this a.m. was pretty good
You missed Kelly??? Your loss! She looked HOT!

We should hi-jack this bone-headed troll thread, and make it a Kelly v Beyonce thread instead!

Old 01-21-2013, 03:39 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,113,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I really wonder if you were trying to say something about how Obama is willing to use Christian sounding things in his inauguration in order to "use" Christians. He did say that our nation is not a Christian nation during the early days of his first administration.

I might make mention, again, of the fact that tomorrow he will tear into one of the traditions of this country that has been so because of the 2nd Amendment.
Make up your mind. Do you want to bash Obama because he mentions God or does not mention God enough...or too much or not the way you'd like him to or because the founders all carried automatic weapons and were mostly Deists? Your thoughts are convoluted and best left in the recesses of where they were formed.

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
Nope. He said the US was not JUST a Christian nation.

Barack Obama Versus Fundamentalism & Religious Sectarianism - YouTube

“Whatever we once were, we are no longer a Christian nation - at least not just. We are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation and a Buddhist nation and a Hindu nation and a nation of non-believers.”

It's documented on video, which means there's no disputing it. Move on to your next bulls*** chain e-mail...
I always wonder about edited videos from youtube and this one has so many places where it slides a bit in either audio or video that I have to wonder what he really said.

Ok, Barack H. Obama didn't ever say that because you have one video where he said it the way you like best.

Where would you think I got an e-mail about this one so soon? Nope, it is all mine.

How about you making his words mean something real in this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmuE-...ture=endscreen

Last edited by roysoldboy; 01-21-2013 at 03:47 PM..

1,680 posts, read 1,791,418 times
I don't believe the word GOD was misused or misrepresented. I don't believe we should place our customary practices on hold for anyone outside our nation. I will tell you not once has another country placed their customs on hold for myself, my family, or friends. Why should Americans go out their way to place their practices on pause.

Lastly, GOD is GOD and not only for Christians.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:53 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I really wonder if you were trying to say something about how Obama is willing to use Christian sounding things in his inauguration in order to "use" Christians. He did say that our nation is not a Christian nation during the early days of his first administration.

I might make mention, again, of the fact that tomorrow he will tear into one of the traditions of this country that has been so because of the 2nd Amendment.
As has already been noted, the president said the the U.S. is not JUST a Christian nation.

If anyone is trying to "use" Christians, or more to the point, Christianity, it is you.

No true Christian doubts the faith of someone who has professed Jesus Christ as his or her Savior.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Make up your mind. Do you want to bash Obama because he mentions God or does not mention God enough...or too much or not the way you'd like him to or because the founders all carried automatic weapons and were mostly Deists? Your thoughts are convoluted and best left in the recesses of where they were formed.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:57 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Alternate question: Should people who disapprove of God or religion be banned from free speech if they insult and alienate those of us who believe otherwise, or just live and let live?
How can you disapprove of something that doesn't exist.
Believe what you want, but keep it to yourself.
Once you bring it to the public forums, you get what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies