Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:59 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
I don't believe the word GOD was misused or misrepresented. I don't believe we should place our customary practices on hold for anyone outside our nation. I will tell you not once has another country placed their customs on hold for myself, my family, or friends. Why should Americans go out their way to place their practices on pause.

Lastly, GOD is GOD and not only for Christians.
Amen.

Notice too, that during the lunch invocation that the priest clearly said "offer this prayer to YOUR God" (I'm paraphrasing a bit, but that was the gist), not THE God, clearly intending more than just the Christian deity.
Which is, of course as it should be, in settings such as this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 04:00 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't! Thanks for proving that!
Absolutely! That's just what I thought when I read the OP. The bias is so strong and so deep ANYTHING and EVERYTHING this President does or does not do is fodder to the far right wing fringe.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 01-21-2013 at 04:15 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 04:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Amen.

Notice too, that during the lunch invocation that the priest clearly said "offer this prayer to YOUR God" (I'm paraphrasing a bit, but that was the gist), not THE God, clearly intending more than just the Christian deity.
Which is, of course as it should be, in settings such as this.
The woman who gave the invocation ended with (again, paraphrasing)" in the name of Jesus and all others". I thought that was very inclusive.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:05 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I really wonder if you were trying to say something about how Obama is willing to use Christian sounding things in his inauguration in order to "use" Christians. He did say that our nation is not a Christian nation during the early days of his first administration.

I might make mention, again, of the fact that tomorrow he will tear into one of the traditions of this country that has been so because of the 2nd Amendment.
What? He's going to submit something to Congress to amend the U.S. Constitution?

It's clear that you think you can read the President's mind, from all the way out there in Kansas, but that's just an illusion on your part.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
I don't believe the word GOD was misused or misrepresented. I don't believe we should place our customary practices on hold for anyone outside our nation. I will tell you not once has another country placed their customs on hold for myself, my family, or friends. Why should Americans go out their way to place their practices on pause.

Lastly, GOD is GOD and not only for Christians.
It was once customary to exclude women and minorities from inaugurations. Customs should never stand in the way of progress and liberty.

What does god is god mean?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 PM

37,203 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
I kept hearing things in today's inauguration proceedings that made me wonder just what kind of nation this really is.

For instance, Obama didn't hesitate at all when he swore to uphold the Constitution and we all know he will go after the 2nd Amendment tomorrow. Also, he repeated "So help me God" after Roberts with no sign of hesitation.

Obama said early in his first term that the US is not a Christian nation but the word God kept popping up in the proceedings. I especially liked the rendition by the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir that had the word God appear in it. So many other things with the word God in them and then the last prayer by the Christian minister. I guess he got to do that mini-sermon because his church weds same sex people. He did get that part into his prayer, but he kept talking like a Christian minister.

I really do wonder how many atheists and Muslims were offended by all the Christian sounding words said in that whole proceeding. Surely he couldn't afford to offend them, but I bet somebody did.

Beyonce' could have done a real job on the National Anthem but she had to give another interpretive performance as so many do.
He had his fingers crossed, I'm sure...

Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
As an atheist I don't mind the use of the term "god" as long as no particular "god" is singled out as being representative of the U.S. The term "god" is sort of meaingless anyway as it means something different to virtually every individual. I do think the need to use the term "god" is pretty pathetic as it really (literally) does nothing to change a damn thing. You could swap "god" for "frankensnoozle" and you will get the same results.
First, you "don't mind the use of the term god," and then you go on to say, "the term god, is pretty pathetic." So I guess you DO mind?

Secondly, you state that, "The term "god" is sort of meaingless anyway as it means something different to virtually every individual." While that is your opinion, it is quite baseless. Over 83% of Americans affiliate with a religion which acknowledges "one" god. Less than 1% of Americans are affiliated with religions that worship other gods. The remaining 16% are either atheist or agnostic. Not really a lot of "gods" out there for "virtually every individual."

Statistics on Religion in America Report -- Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

It's amusing how the godless minority in this country try to minimize the religious beliefs of the majority.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:

I really do wonder how many atheists and Muslims were offended by all the Christian sounding words said in that whole proceeding. .
Not as offended as you are by the fact that a black man who is also a Christian and a Democrat is the President of the United States of America.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't! Thanks for proving that!

Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Is there a point in here somewhere?
The president is a Christian. He has always said that he is a Christian. It is tradition, as no doubt you know, to have an invocation and benediction before and after. The priest who offered the prayers today officiates at the Episcopal church that the Obama family most often attend. Representatives from this same church have officiated at previous inaugurations.
Contrary to what many want to believe, this president understands and appreciates the history and traditions of this country.
This was clearly in evidence today.
Many of us who read the discussions on this forum understand that racist and anti-Christian rhetoric is often posted. Others post who seem to be mentally ill. Providing balance, proving truthful responses to that sort of stuff is important. Thanks for your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies