Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm not understanding this fixation Obama and liberals have with equality. Folks have varying degrees of skills that are demanded in the market place. Is the goal here to have some unskilled worker live in the same manner as somebody who went to school to develop skills in demand like becoming a doctor?

To me equality means equality under the law and a fair chance to improve your life through the choices and efforts you make. What's the end game in regards to equality for you liberals?
It's not an equality of success but an equality of a livable minimal standard of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 08:47 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
The goal is a livable wage, good/safe schools for children, health care that won't make you decide between it or eating, an environment(also known as Mother Earth) that has an equal chance to survive(we need clean water/air/food/etc), a female to earn a days wage equal to that of her male colleague......many many more to list. Also, there is no "end game".
This sounds like Chicago, Detroit and Philly. I don't think it working.

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
Quote:
I'm not understanding this fixation Obama and liberals have with equality.
So, why do you oppose equality for people? If that's what your questions suggest. Do you oppose our American culture, traditions and legal protections? Sounds very Communistic to me.

6,137 posts, read 4,859,262 times
Quote:
I'm not understanding this fixation Obama and liberals have with equality. Folks have varying degrees of skills that are demanded in the market place. Is the goal here to have some unskilled worker live in the same manner as somebody who went to school to develop skills in demand like becoming a doctor?

To me equality means equality under the law and a fair chance to improve your life through the choices and efforts you make. What's the end game in regards to equality for you liberals?
The world you're looking for is egalitarianism, not equality.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
The world you're looking for is egalitarianism, not equality.
More like Oz. pay no attention to that guy (O) behind the curtain.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
This sounds like Chicago, Detroit and Philly. I don't think it working.
They have a livable wage, good/safe schools for children, and those other things I listed? You're just kidding, though, aren't ya

Old 01-21-2013, 08:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
If anyone has noticed, the whole "equality" obsession is a conservative thing. You can be in a political conversation where the issue isn't even being discussed, and a conservative will always come out of left field and scream "equality of opportunity, not outcome." I just sit there stunned, like "who in the hell said anything about equality to begin with?"

This whole thing started when Rush Limbaugh started saying the whole "opportunity vs outcome" thing about 25 or so years ago, so now conservatives use every opportunity to bring it up. Liberals usually just assume that we're all basically equal anyway...its not a hot topic with us.

I'd be willing to bet that any thread dealing with equality in the history of C-D was started by a right winger. Look at this thread for example....brought to you by someone that started a thread about the virtues of Social Darwinism...totally unprovoked. Liberals don't even think about that nonsense.

The M.O. of these folks is rather predictable....they have found themselves in a somewhat fortunate circumstance, and so it's time to look down on others somehow. The OP has an MBA "from a good school," and if you don't, well then...how dare you think that you're his equal. Folks will do anything to feel better about themselves.

These type of threads are laughable. Whoever said a damn thing about equality to begin with?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If anyone has noticed, the whole "equality" obsession is a conservative thing. You can be in a political conversation where the issue isn't even being discussed, and a conservative will always come out of left field and scream "equality of opportunity, not outcome." I just sit there stunned, like "who in the hell said anything about equality to begin with?"

This whole thing started when Rush Limbaugh started saying the whole "opportunity vs outcome" thing about 25 or so years ago, so now conservatives use every opportunity to bring it up. Liberals usually just assume that we're all basically equal anyway...its not a hot topic with us.

I'd be willing to bet that any thread dealing with equality in the history of C-D was started by a right winger. Look at this thread for example....brought to you by someone that started a thread about the virtues of Social Darwinism...totally unprovoked. Liberals don't even think about that nonsense.

The M.O. of these folks is rather predictable....they have found themselves in a somewhat fortunate circumstance, and so it's time to look down on others somehow. The OP has an MBA "from a good school," and if you don't, well then...how dare you think that you're his equal. Folks will do anything to feel better about themselves.

These type of threads are laughable. Whoever said a damn thing about equality to begin with?
Back to the basement.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
It is largely a question of degree.

Perfect equality cannot exist, and a certain degree of inequality is consistent with social justice. One person's labor may indeed by worth twice that of another person's. It could be worth three times more, four times more, or even ten times more. For example, I would have no problem if a brilliant heart surgeon earned 10 times more than the person who swept his or her office.

But that's not what we have have in American today.

What we have in America today is a situation where some people are making 300, 400, even 500 times more than the average person. I'm sorry, but nobody can work 500 times harder than anyone else. Nobody's labor is worth 500 times more than anyone else's. That's not an economy. That's just a racket.

Besides degree, there is the question of why inequality exists. When inequality is genuinely the result of some people being harder working or more talented than others, people usually don't get upset about it. No sane person resented the fact Michael Jordan was a better basketball player then they were.

But what we have today in America is a lot of arbitrary inequality. Most inequality has nothing to do with people's talents. It has more to do with the circumstances they were born into. Remember, the vast majority of poor people aren't people who started middle-class and fell. They born poor. Likewise, most of the rich started out life with lots of privilege. That isn't to say they didn't work hard. But a hedge-fund manager who works hard is likely to become a millionaire. A dish washer who works will, in most, simply become a hard-working dishwasher.

The USA now has almost the LOWEST rate of social mobility of any industrialized country. People born in Germany, France, Denmark, Norway, etc have a FAR better chance ending life better off than they started than people in the US. Look it up if you don't believe me.
Good post. There are studies showing that economic inequality correlates with signs of social distress such as high rates of addiction, violence, teen pregnancy, STDs, divorce etc ---all problems that the U.S. has.

High economic inequality also correlates with religiosity, i.e. highly unequal countries like the U.S. have high levels of religiosity whereas countries like Sweden which are more equal have low levels of religiosity. The question would be does religiosity lead to social strife or does social strife cause people to feel insecure and stressed and turn to religion? There are some indications it is the latter.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
The goal is a livable wage, good/safe schools for children, health care that won't make you decide between it or eating, an environment(also known as Mother Earth) that has an equal chance to survive(we need clean water/air/food/etc), a female to earn a days wage equal to that of her male colleague......many many more to list. Also, there is no "end game".
Yup, it's all about this imaginary Utopia that libs think that can create here on earth, if we just make it the law, that everyone is equal, then it will just magically happen.

What libs fail to realize is that some people are just anti-social, self destructive, or just flat out lazy. Sometimes a person does not get promoted, earns a low wage, because they are lazy, dishonest, manipulative, and because they are any employer's worst nightmare.

Sometimes a person is poor, or keeps getting fired because they did it to themselves,and not because some mean person suppressed them, abused them, or was unfair to them.

There are people who are legitimately down on their luck and need a helping hand to get back on their feet. Those people deserve our help and assistance, no conservatives i know disagree with this. But some people will always bite the hand that feeds them, will always **** away their lives, be anti-social and behave like a criminal, and they enjoy bringing down anyone stupid enough, or unfortunate enough to associate with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies