Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:20 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times

Advertisements

The above quotation - a reference to pivotal moments in the civil rights struggles of Americans was a part of President Obama's Second Inaugural Address.

It was a very historic speech.

While "Seneca Falls" and "Selma" pays tribute to the quest of freedom and equality for American women and African-Americans, for the first time in US history, a president has recognized the Gay rights movement in an inaugural address as a component of the quest towards equality. He also mentioned "our gay brothers and sisters."

I think today is a turning point for the LGBT community. The majority of Americans are now in favor of equal rights for LGBT Americans. Last November we saw the defeat in four states -Maine, Maryland, Washington, and Minnesota - of laws designed to prevent gay couples from legally marrying. In November we have also seen the first lesbian elected to the US Senate, and the largest number of gay representatives in Congress.

The tide had turned. Perhaps it had already turned a few years ago, but today the evidence is loud and clear: the movement for LGBT rights has taken it's place at the table of American politics and society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 05:22 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Obama can make speeches that's about it.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Obama can make speeches that's about it.
Nope.

During his first term, Pres. Obama successfully fought to overturn the discriminatory "Don't Ask Don't Tell" (DOMA) policy in the military. Obama's people have been going over hundreds of government policies and protocols that have discriminated against LGBT people and changing them. Immigration and naturalization laws that were prejudiced against gay people have reformed. By voicing support for Marriage Equality we have seen more states legalizing same-sex marriage on the one hand and the numbers of Americans shifting according to the polls in favor of it.

No other president has done more for the LGBT community than Obama.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The above quotation - a reference to pivotal moments in the civil rights struggles of Americans was a part of President Obama's Second Inaugural Address.

While "Seneca Falls" and "Selma" pays tribute to the quest of freedom and equality for American women and African-Americans, for the first time in US history, a president has recognized the Gay rights movement in an inaugural address as a component of the quest towards equality. He also mentioned "our gay brothers and sisters."

I think today is a turning point for the LGBT community. The majority of Americans are now in favor of equal rights for LGBT Americans. Last November we saw the defeat in four states -Maine, Maryland, Washington, and Minnesota - of laws designed to prevent gay couples from legally marrying. In November we have also seen the first lesbian elected to the US Senate, and the largest number of gay representatives in Congress.

The tide had turned. Perhaps it had already turned a few years ago, but today the evidence is loud and clear: the movement for LGBT rights has taken it's place at the table of American politics and society.
I sat back in awe and goose bumps went across my skin listening with great pride.
Im sure a lot heterosexual Americans probably do not even understand to Stonewall is except over 45 New Yorkers.
What happen at the Stonewall Inn is widely considered to be the single most important event leading to the gay liberation movement and the modern fight for gay and lesbian rights in the United States.

"Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law – for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well."
That moved me and his fight for equality for all will make him be remembered as a great President.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-22-2013 at 09:10 AM..

Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I sat back in awe and goose bumps went across my skin listening with great pride.
Im sure a lot heterosexual Americans probably do not even understand to Stonewall is except over 45 New Yorkers.
What happen at the Stonewall Inn is widely considered to be the single most important event leading to the gay liberation movement and the modern fight for gay and lesbian rights in the United States.

That moved me and his fight for equality for all will make him be remembered as a great President.
It does a gross disservice to the struggle of blacks to mention the struggle of gays in the same breath.

Btw, Obama could fart and it would give a liberal goosebumps.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It does a gross disservice to the struggle of blacks to mention the struggle of gays in the same breath.

Btw, Obama could fart and it would give a liberal goosebumps.

I have gut feeling you dont care what the point was in that part of speech.
He listed in chronological order from Women's rights, black rights to gay right in pursuit of equality.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:26 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
Sounded like a bunch of collectivist drivel.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,088 times
i did not even know about stonewall until obama mentioned it.

what does it say about the whitewashing of cirriculum by straight white males?

i thought as hard as i could, and i never remembered any talk of gay rights or anything like that. and i finished hs in 03.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Obama took a big risk with: “through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall” and explicitly linking women, African Americans and gays.

When Proposition 8 passed in California, some attributed the margin to African American church leaders who were angry at gay marriage being connected to the civil rights struggle. Obama himself was (or at least claimed to be) against gay marriage at the time.

All that is over with this speech. Gay marriage passed with the help of the African American voters (not to mention churches) in Maryland. That’s a tremendous change in only four years, and the work of a very skillful politician. He took on his own base and brought them around to support marriage equality.

His legacy, like Reagan, will be passing on his electoral coalition. Reagan combined the business lobby, Evangelicals, foreign policy hawks and was able to reach out to white, working-class men. These constituencies were not natural allies in 1980.

Obama combined African Americans, Latinos, youth, single women, white urban professional and the GLBT community. His line about Selma and Stonewall was about keeping this coalition together.

Only Obama can deliver such a full-throated defense of liberalism and equality and make it aspirational rather than hectoring.

Thanks and well done, Mr. President.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 01-22-2013 at 10:59 AM..

Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

No it wasn't. It may have historical references, but the speech itself was not historic. No one will remember this speech after today.

Simply put, Barack Obama is not the pivotal figure that his supporters hoped he would be. He'll merely fade into time and be one of the 44 Presidents, nowhere near as notable as Lincoln or Washington or Jefferson or FDR or Reagan. It's just not in the cards for him. He's not a natural born leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies