Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I bet it will be your neighbor who raids your land, or that group down the road. In the end you can die free, but you will still be dead so who cares if you were free or not when it happens.
Quote:
Nah, I just have fun with you doom and gloom people. If anything bad happens I am heading back to the northwest where everything is already localized and would probably work with a community to protect ourselves and the surrounding communities.

It isnt me you should worry about, it is those bad people out there with guns and no laws to worry about.

Just because you don't know your neighbors and keep to yourself there in the big city, doesn't mean those in very small rural communities(grew up with all your life) don't know each other enough to go on a rampage against their neighbors they have known and helped their entire lives.
You obviously don't understand country life, by throwing that out on the table.
Your neighbor is more likely to kill you and take your stuff, before my neighbor that has exactly what I have(all the resources to stay alive), would draw arms against me.

The NorthEast is where it would be the worst. Hope you would be well armed, or you would not make it far, without friends and neighbors.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
I bet it will be your neighbor who raids your land, or that group down the road. In the end you can die free, but you will still be dead so who cares if you were free or not when it happens.
You have the wrong thought process here.
Sure in the city once you run out of food you'll raid your neighbor for his.
Then what when everyone is out of food ?

Out in the country is different. When you grow your food you know you'll have more food and you save the seed. You can and store seasonal food and use it in the winter months.
You don't take all the chicken eggs so that some hatch for more chickens.

Why would anyone "raid your land" out here ? Each does their own thing. Small time farming and ranching is sustainable, it continues. Hunting and fishing is sustainable.

It's not like raiding a pantry that won't be replenished which is the mentality you have.
I have chickens, fruit trees, and soon will have dairy goats.
Quite easy to barter with my neighbors for what I don't have.
Why would they take all my chickens when I can use what I have to continue to have a supply of chickens which benefits all of us over time ? People out here understand continuity.

Also have a well and septic which most out here have as well so we're not dependent on the city to provide those. A hand pump installed on your well will get you through periods of no electricity.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:03 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
That's nice...... I took this morning off from work because it was in the teens and sunny, to x-c ski 6 miles. It was short 3 miles out, 3 miles back, and then i went to work till 3.....

Did you beat that for fun today?
Yes...I went to a bar after work that looked out over the city, had a raw tuna taco and a few gin and tonics. Great time.

Quote:
I don't have a lot of preps stored away because i don't need them. I have a education that will allow me to pass on that concerning foods in NH. I have some gallons of maple syrup I made put up that are not for trade currently. I have veggies i grew that will last well past next harvest and could last into a next year.
I have a tinfoil hat for you that will go nicely with your 'maple syrup currency'

Quote:
In fact the strawberries i had in yogurt last night are from 2 seasons back...

I will probably need to plow snow in the morning and after that if nothing else happens i will go skiing again.

I am waiting for a scope to come into my local gun shop for a 50 year old 22 rifle i just got in December. it is shaping up to be a real little tack driver too. I might bring that x-c skiing to hunt small game soon.

It's good you will be fit and able to deal with any SHTF situations, so at least i will know it won't be you begging on my door steps.

With all the hate from the city liberals i am re-thinking my previous plan to feed people a meal and send them packin'. Instead it might be better when they come a-begging to just take what ever they have left.

I can't understand that 'Entitled' thing....... Steal from me in SHTF and you will be entitled to a bullet, and it will only take one.

I have been in plenty enough storms to know what happens to Law and order ... Until all these city liberal threats on CD I was always wiling to spend my own dimes and plow for the Fire Dept and never send in the papers to get paid back and i took to feeding work crews when there was no power, as i maintain and cook on a wood stove too.

I cared for the elderly and made sure their generators were installed and in such away they were not sending current down line.. maybe i shouldn't do that anymore huh?
I go to a gym every morning, so don't worry about fitness. Additionally, wasting your life away preparing for an event that has the same statistical likelihood of occurring as getting hit by a meteor is nothing short of insane.

I am not sure where you are coming from by saying you shouldn't help the elderly. I help the elderly get by who live in apartments/townhomes around me as well. What exactly does helping people in need have anything to do with this discussion??

Quote:
I got 5 letters from work crew companies from the last major ice storm.... What did you get?

Not only that but after about 2 weeks the local fire Dept came to look in on me. I was walking out to my truck since the road was blocked by a bolder too big for me to move, and there was no point to move it for the whole road was filled with trees anyway.

They asked me if i was alright, and of course we were i was pulling a kids sled with gallons of fresh hot coffee and a large wooden box of still hot donuts. I used that sled to haul fire wood from the piles to the door..

I hope the temps on thje morning are in single digits here... That just insures No Bugs!
We have a good enough infrastructure that the entire neighborhood (thousands of people) come out and help each other when things get tough, so I don't need to rely on waiting for a fire department to do something such as move something out of the road.

But hey - as I said before, if you want to waste your life away preparing for something that will never happen, go right ahead. Meanwhile, I will continue actually enjoying myself instead of saving up maple syrup to use as currency one day.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Yes...I went to a bar after work that looked out over the city, had a raw tuna taco and a few gin and tonics. Great time.

I have a tinfoil hat for you that will go nicely with your 'maple syrup currency'

I go to a gym every morning, so don't worry about fitness. Additionally, wasting your life away preparing for an event that has the same statistical likelihood of occurring as getting hit by a meteor is nothing short of insane.

I am not sure where you are coming from by saying you shouldn't help the elderly. I help the elderly get by who live in apartments/townhomes around me as well. What exactly does helping people in need have anything to do with this discussion??

We have a good enough infrastructure that the entire neighborhood (thousands of people) come out and help each other when things get tough, so I don't need to rely on waiting for a fire department to do something such as move something out of the road.

But hey - as I said before, if you want to waste your life away preparing for something that will never happen, go right ahead. Meanwhile, I will continue actually enjoying myself instead of saving up maple syrup to use as currency one day.
I'll bet the folks in NYC never thought a hurricane of that strength (yeah I know it was downgraded seconds before hit hit landfall) would hit them as hard as it did.

My advice..never say never.
I wouldn't put all my faith in FEMA to come save the day for me

Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Most southern country folk like social security, they like Medicare. Can we grow our own food? Hunt? Survive?

Yep. Doesn't mean most of us don't like big government, because 70% of Americans do.

Most Americans want the government to stay out of their pocket books, and out of theur lives, this is just who we are. That isn't going to change. It never has.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'll bet the folks in NYC never thought a hurricane of that strength (yeah I know it was downgraded seconds before hit hit landfall) would hit them as hard as it did.

My advice..never say never.
I wouldn't put all my faith in FEMA to come save the day for me
And all things considered, they banded together, helped each other out, and got through it pretty well.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Having it and not needing it, is way different that needing it and not having it.
This is the difference in rural and metro thinking & living. This is why those packed into the cities will be devastated first.

That is all this discussion is about. The cities don't have the resources for the people to be individually independent and times of no food and little water, it becomes everyone for themselves.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Ar-10s are GREAT weapons. They are essentially a "supersized" Ar-15, in that every componant is identical to the AR-15, just bigger. The nice thing is that .308 round. We have Rock River and DPMS AR-10s- a couple have night vision, one has thermal, and the rest have EOTECHs. Our AR-15s have EOTECHs and ACOGS. My Browning 1919A4s are converted to .308 to keep the ammo consistent. We certainly have AKs, but I consider them "the grimy cousin" of the AR platform.

However, we have several LMT (piston) Ar-15s. If I was getting another AR-10 (and we most certainly will), I would get the LMT AR-10 (as they are making them now). The piston system gives you all of the advantages of an AK, but with the precision of the AR-10. Keep in mind that the British SAS now uses LMT AR-15s, as the piston system keeps the bolt clean. No more taking down the rifle and cleaning the bolt after 300 rounds!

We live in a city for our primary residence. However, I would certainly feel "exposed" without a refuge to which one can go without adequate food, ammo, guns, gold, and WATER. That last bit is what most people forget about.
Just before sandy I was starting to look into 10th Mountain Ar-10's. I have no use for the .223 round. I already have a bolt gun on .308, but i don't have all the toys you do

Where I am in NH water is the last thing i need to worry about.. Not far away are springs fit to drink from and fenced off by the state to keep people who don't know better from washing right in the spring.
A pipe runs to the pull over on the side of the road. These are located all over the place too. Plus in the mountains there are more and they sometimes run all year even now in below 0.

A hobby of mine is finding others I have not been to before but are marked on maps.

Not right here, but where i was before in the Ossipee the stream out back was tested by me and used as drinking water by me, and I just made and buried a sand carbon filter. Lived there 3.5 years not a problem.

Well expect for the ice storm that put power out for almost 2 weeks.... But this simple tools called a bucket with another simple tool called rope fixed that
With a battery radio (blaupunkt radio ) and a car battery I could hear the whine as people were cold in their homes, with no power they ran little gennies until they ran out of gas.. Then it got cold again...

With no power so stores were open but a very limited few and customers were hand lead around by staff, to discover what was left in the store wasn't worth having

Buying more gas for the gennies wasn't happening since gas stations had No Power.

It was great!

There was no power from here to Montreal, No power from here well past Maine NY and, passing CT.

I went around as best i could clearing the road, pushing trees off the road after cutting, I pulled out a Lucas Tree truck, bigger than mine and tore off the running board and the mirror, telling the crew that would happen if it did before I did..

Fed every one hot coffee and donuts still warm as best i could and offered up my place for a rest if need be. After some time a few guys did come and at first were scared bad since the heat was above 80 inside from making coffee and donuts 24/7 with my wife's help of course on the wood stove.

More too, but my whole idea of times like that is it's a party..... I have always been that way about storms. The bigger and harder the storm is the happier I get!

I have 4 great oil lamps too, plus a mess more of regular old antique lamps I almost never use. These all have larger wicks than the foolish little things coming out of Red Commie China today with a wick 1/4 inch wide Pretty sad how modern man has come to the point where he can't do anything but shop.

I find most so called city liberal men have no living skills what so ever and think shopping is the only one they need.. That's bad... Can't even dress themselves unless it is simple wrapping a towel around their head...

I do a few sissy things myself....... Like skin and brain tan hides, and sew by hand leather into mocs. leggings, breeches, light shirts or light coats. So far no leather hats but that's what wool is for.

I even sew things for my wife..

If shtf we will both be dressed from head to toe easy, but out fashion won't resemble any city dwellers.

City dwellers have no clue brain tan deer is softer than the best velvet. But hey! don't tell... The less competition the better

Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Just because you don't know your neighbors and keep to yourself there in the big city, doesn't mean those in very small rural communities(grew up with all your life) don't know each other enough to go on a rampage against their neighbors they have known and helped their entire lives.
You obviously don't understand country life, by throwing that out on the table.
Your neighbor is more likely to kill you and take your stuff, before my neighbor that has exactly what I have(all the resources to stay alive), would draw arms against me.

The NorthEast is where it would be the worst. Hope you would be well armed, or you would not make it far, without friends and neighbors.
Good thing if anything bad happens that you guys fear about, I will probably be living in the northwest.

Sounds like you don't have a strong grasp on how city life works either.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You have the wrong thought process here.
Sure in the city once you run out of food you'll raid your neighbor for his.
Then what when everyone is out of food ?

Out in the country is different. When you grow your food you know you'll have more food and you save the seed. You can and store seasonal food and use it in the winter months.
You don't take all the chicken eggs so that some hatch for more chickens.

Why would anyone "raid your land" out here ? Each does their own thing. Small time farming and ranching is sustainable, it continues. Hunting and fishing is sustainable.

It's not like raiding a pantry that won't be replenished which is the mentality you have.
I have chickens, fruit trees, and soon will have dairy goats.
Quite easy to barter with my neighbors for what I don't have.
Why would they take all my chickens when I can use what I have to continue to have a supply of chickens which benefits all of us over time ? People out here understand continuity.

Also have a well and septic which most out here have as well so we're not dependent on the city to provide those. A hand pump installed on your well will get you through periods of no electricity.
Because a gang could raid your land. Why else do people do bad things when there is nothing stopping them. I get a kick out of the fact how trusting country people try to act while at the same time act like they are fearful about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies