Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:19 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times

Advertisements

I believe it's because forum members overall skew younger, who are both more Liberal and have more free time to post than older, more Conservative individuals. Young Liberals may still be in high school, or college, or be a recent college graduate looking for work. There's far more free time to invest in forums for young Liberals than there is for older Conservatives who are more likely to have full-time jobs and families.

While CD is probably more Conservative than Liberal, it's an anomaly on the web. The vast majority of forums lean solidly to the left. I quit a video gaming forum I'd been a member of for 8 years because the intolerant Liberals on the board pushing their opinions as fact made it too unpleasant to stick around. Reddit, the old Digg, Slate, all Gawker sites, 4Chan, etc. are extremely Liberal and pretty intolerant to Conservative comments and views. Sites that skew older, like Yahoo, are more balanced.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
I have a feeling that the conservatives would be happier if C-D were 100% right-wing instead of 70%-ish as it is now. Even though there are countless right-wing political forums where dissent is ruthlessly suppressed and where they wouldn't have to soil their computer monitors with any liberal or even moderate pixels.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I believe it's because forum members overall skew younger, who are both more Liberal and have more free time to post than older, more Conservative individuals. Young Liberals may still be in high school, or college, or be a recent college graduate looking for work. There's far more free time to invest in forums for young Liberals than there is for older Conservatives who are more likely to have full-time jobs and families.

While CD is probably more Conservative than Liberal, it's an anomaly on the web. The vast majority of forums lean solidly to the left. I quit a video gaming forum I'd been a member of for 8 years because the intolerant Liberals on the board pushing their opinions as fact made it too unpleasant to stick around. Reddit, the old Digg, Slate, all Gawker sites, 4Chan, etc. are extremely Liberal and pretty intolerant to Conservative comments and views. Sites that skew older, like Yahoo, are more balanced.
Agreed. Most young people are not only liberal but intolerantly so. I stay quiet about politics in real life because I don't want to make enemies. Anything that is against the liberal talking points is racist, bigoted, and small minded. For instance my gay marriage position is significantly more liberal than most right wingers, but since I believe there should be some protections for religious institutions and private businesses, I hate gays and am just as ignorant and small minded as the Westboro Baptist Church.

City-Data is still a liberal forum, anybody who denies that is basing it off a handful of extreme right wing posters, but it is still not as liberal as most of the net. That is probably because the age demographics on City-Data politics forum is slightly older than even other City-Data forums. Go into the main city forum, where most posters are under 30 or even under 25, and its nearly entirely liberal. It comes up because everybody asks about liberal cities and anyone who asks for a conservative place to live is generally not looked highly on. Conservative cities also get absolutely no love and are bashed frequently (try saying something nice about Phoenix or Oklahoma City and watch the responses you get).

This makes me wonder why young people are so liberal. A lot of it people blame on religion and its ties with conservatism, but why is this generation so hostile to religion? Is it because they are more educated, or have been trained to think that way by the public school system and universities. Most conservative millennials are actually still in their late teens, in high school or just starting college. By the time they finish college, chances are they will be liberal.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed. Most young people are not only liberal but intolerantly so. I stay quiet about politics in real life because I don't want to make enemies. Anything that is against the liberal talking points is racist, bigoted, and small minded.
Does that include anyone who doesn't buy into paranoid conspiracy theories about how Obama wants to, and will, become a Dictator-For-Life?

In that case, I think it's safe to say that 99.9% of America is "intolerantly liberal."

Old 01-22-2013, 01:35 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterStar View Post
Often times, I'll browse the C-D Politics forum just to get an idea how folks stand on some issues in these interesting times we live in.

More often than not the number of posters are overwhemingly liberal, often with extremely intolerant views of conservatism and those politicians with a conservative agenda. The election was close but that is not reflected in this forum.

Why is this?
Are you posting from a parallel universe?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:56 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,933 times
I feel like this forum has a pretty comparable number of those on the left and the right. The issue is that this forum is full of people that are VERY far to the right or VERY far to the left. Actually...let me rephrase that...the issue is that this forum (and most others) are riddled with internet tough guys that are more than willing to aggresively scream their opinions....just as long as it is from the safe confines of their desk chair.

So...using the verbage i've noticed on this thread....Neither, Extremist, Right-Wing, Nut Job, Wack-O, Racist, Republicans or Commie, Pinko, freeloading, bloodsucking, bleeding heart Liberals control this forum......petulant little children with nothing better to do control it.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Are you posting from a parallel universe?
I know, right? Not only do conservatives dominate (it seems) this forum, but we're also in a parallel universe where no liberals work and conservatives earn/work more than they do. Whaaaah??

Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterStar View Post
Often times, I'll browse the C-D Politics forum just to get an idea how folks stand on some issues in these interesting times we live in.

More often than not the number of posters are overwhemingly liberal, often with extremely intolerant views of conservatism and those politicians with a conservative agenda. The election was close but that is not reflected in this forum.

Why is this?
They're perpetually unhappy grievance mongers, so they go out looking for things to whine about. If you're ever in a traffic jam due to a protest, it's overwhelmingly likely that it's whiny assed liberals that are causing the problem.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Young people dominate internet forums, and most young people are liberals.
Thank you, at the age of 61, I'll consider that a compliment, but only if I can get these old bones out of the sack in the A.M., I'll be happy.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
Because conservatives work for a living while liberals sit at home drawing a check
from the nanny state. SIAP but it's worth repeating.
I'm a liberal, and I work for a living. Therefore, your premise is completely flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies