Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:09 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Media.
Exactly, according to polls from both CNN & Fox News, 29% of voters are neither D nor R but Independents; 41% of all voters identify as neither liberal nor conservative but Moderate; and even of those who do identify as liberal and conservative, almost 20% of the later and over 10% of the former did not vote for the party in the manner someone conditioned by the lamestream media would.

Its basically partisan minions and a media thirsty for ratings that's striving for polarization and self-destruction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Here's an example from my own backyard.

This happened just last year.

Steve Smith wins Pennsylvania county GOP seat.

Steve Smith, reputed white supremacist, causes stir by winning election to Pennsylvania county GOP seat - U.S. News

There are other examples, open your eyes.
Here's a quote from the article this intellectually dishonest person says demonstrates the racism of the GOP base:

Quote:
Smith was elected with only one write-in vote, which he has since acknowledged was his own, said Terry Casey, chairman of the Luzerne County Republican Party.

“We unequivocally denounce Mr. Smith and his abhorrent views and would like to make it clear that in no way do his personal views reflect the views of the Republican Party,” the Luzerne County Republican Committee said in a statement issued this week.
So here we have someone who was not nominated by the GOP, was not voted for by any registered GOP voter, and was publicly denounced by the local chairman of the GOP. Yet it is being used as evidence of racism within the GOP. Complete and utter garbage like this post serves as an excellent example of why things are polarized today.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post
Case in point. Extremism based on fear, not fact.
Case in point - abject LIE couched as a sage observation. We are all on to you and your side's method. You're fooling nobody anymore, except, possibly, yourselves.

Our side are the Patriots, Liberals, aka Progressives, are the Red Coats, so to speak.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
Why are we so polarized?

Religious fundamentalism & secular governance living side by side in a highly-advanced, wealthy democracy. Only western country I know of where the religious faction has such leverage.
Make your case, if you can, to support the above statement

Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It was bound to happen.

Progressives for the last 100 years have been trying to "fundamentally change America". You start by trivializing the constitution.....by controlling education.

Constitutional conservatives have been fighting them ever since.

Now you throw in a master of deceit (obama) who preys an peoples fears and emotions, and you start to change minds.

It's sad really.
One minor modification, if I may

"It's treasonous, really.//pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Constitutional conservatives have been fighting them ever since.
They're not the GOP, so not sure who you're referencing.

The GOP cherry picks.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
You sound like a typical listener of George Noory's coast to coast... maybe you should sit out a couple plays.
There you go again, demonizing the rational people that oppose your USA-destroying agenda. Trivialize them.

You sound like a typical leftist snot-nosed democRAT. Maybe you should sit it out for a couple decades.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The Koch brothers, Rupert Murdoch, etc
Incorrect.

Leftist snots who vote overwhelminly for democRATS run the dominant media. Your lie just got called-out.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Two things, mostly...

1. hate radio

2. Fox "news"

Hate radio has barely a toehold in the USA. Most radio is by Patriots like Rush, Sean, Dennis x2, Mark et al

2. Fox news is the only real TV force for Liberty in the USA.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
As I get older, I am realizing this more and more. I don't remember the moderation that I remembered growing up.

All I see these days is extreme polarization in viewpoints and political beliefs. It is not generally as apparent in person, but it is much more apparent in forums.

It seems the days of convincing someone of something or being convinced by anyone of something are gone.

Depends on when you grew up, I suppose, but if you're about my age, you grew up through some or all of the Cold War, a fairly unique period in American history when most of the policy questions related to how and what to do with the United States' vast reservoir of imperial power. Our status as world hegemon made consensus politics fairly easy and straightforward, and the major questions of the time which were truly divisive, such as the Civil Right movement, were those few which had no direct bearing on our hegemony.

I don't think the current state of our politics is especially divisive. Democrats and Republicans disagree viscerally and emphatically, but no more so than Britain's Labour and Conservative parties do on the great issues of contemporary British politics, for example.

What is different is a constitutional structure which copes poorly with great division. In the British example, division has often been very grave, but elections decide the questions; government continues despite division of opinion, because one side or the other wins the argument at the hustings.

We don't just have divisions of opinion - our division of powers, our vaunted checks and gridlock, insures that divided opinion festers, while government is hamstrung. The democracy deficit built into our constitutional arrangements ensure that no one can resolve a question one way or the other, least of all the voting public.

In short, I think you are sensing less an extreme state of politics than a failure of the constitutional structure to cope with those politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies