Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:15 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times

Advertisements

The Weekly Standards sees it as 99% full and 100% one-dimensional. Does this article sound really shallow and un-addressing of the anti-war counterarguments to anyone besides me? Are there any really good, coherent pro-surge arguments that actually address both sides of the issue? Or do you disagree with me, and find the article to be more substantive than the "Rah rah we're winning, told ya so libs" cheerleading impression that I got?

The Roads Not Taken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 01:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
The Weekly Standards sees it as 99% full and 100% one-dimensional. Does this article sound really shallow and un-addressing of the anti-war counterarguments to anyone besides me? Are there any really good, coherent pro-surge arguments that actually address both sides of the issue? Or do you disagree with me, and find the article to be more substantive than the "Rah rah we're winning, told ya so libs" cheerleading impression that I got?

The Roads Not Taken
I think you bring up a very valid point here (even though your claiming its one sided). Let me re post the question the way it should have been posted the first time.. (without the left wing bend) hehe..

Obviously I'm only being sarcastic here, but that doesnt mute the very valid question you had..

Q: Are there any really good, coherent pro-surge arguments that actually address both sides of any issue?

Old 10-22-2007, 02:20 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Quote:

The Roads Not Taken
Not to mention it paints a completely unrealistic rosy scenario of what is really happening in Iraq. This gao report is much more comprehensive and honest about the pickle we are in right now and the challenges to be faced, should anyone be interested.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d08117.pdf

Old 10-22-2007, 03:00 PM

Supposedly Bush is a regular reader of the Weekly Standard.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:13 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Quote:
Supposedly Bush is a regular reader of the Weekly Standard.
Bush can read?

Old 10-22-2007, 04:22 PM

icatneredmesefuno.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:37 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
The optimist sees the glass half full
The pessimist sees the glass half empty
The analyst sees a glass twice as big as it needs to be to contain the contents therein

Many people want to see the problems made for the problems the come as a result. They want to see that the grass is greener on the other side - but fail to see the septic tank under it.

Yes, a lot of trouble has been stirred up.. but every president/administration has made screw ups - and no, I defend nobody.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:05 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
I also kind of amazed Bush can read though I do understand that he likes pickles. He eats pickles with pretzels.

Maybe he's pregnant?

Old 10-23-2007, 05:29 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I also kind of amazed Bush can read though I do understand that he likes pickles. He eats pickles with pretzels.

Maybe he's pregnant?

How many of you have a Bachelor's Degree from Yale and a MBA from Harvard?

Old 10-23-2007, 05:31 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
How many of you have a Bachelor's Degree from Yale and a MBA from Harvard?
The correct question is, how many of us have Senator fathers who can get us into Ivy Leagues based on legacy placement?

Do you HONESTLY think George Dubya got where he is today on "hard work"?! (It'd be interesting to see his SAT scores were). That without his famous last name and political family he would have been in the same place? REALLY?

EDIT: I found Dubya's SAT scores: 566 verbal and 640 math.

I always figured he would have scored better on math, and a 1206 isn't a *bad* score, I guess... but it sure as hell aint Harvard OR Yale worthy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies