U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2007, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Sitting on a bar stool. Guinness in hand.
4,428 posts, read 6,115,726 times
Reputation: 1716

Advertisements

Living paycheck to paycheck gets harder - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2007, 01:12 PM
 
Location: wrong planet
5,151 posts, read 10,848,424 times
Reputation: 4263
Good article.
I live in New England and we have oil heat, so I am dreading the coming heating season. Plus the cost of gas and higher cost of food...the wages are not going up to keep pace with cost of living and haven't for a while now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 03:47 PM
 
17,292 posts, read 27,785,199 times
Reputation: 8667
::Puts on my Libertarian/Republican mask::

"If you don't want to live paycheck to paycheck, get a better job. We have plenty of illegals willing to do your job."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 03:51 PM
 
Location: wrong planet
5,151 posts, read 10,848,424 times
Reputation: 4263
LOL, Trimt7....

We don't live paycheck to paycheck. But the rising costs are preventing us from saving more for retirement. I am a big saver! :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 03:57 PM
 
69,364 posts, read 60,417,193 times
Reputation: 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
::Puts on my Libertarian/Republican mask::
haha..

Not sure why people dont understand that wages and income levels are going down for the poor, because of the lack or need to make more and because the government is willing to fill in the "need" of the citizens, removing the "need" to make more.

As I stated in another posting, one reason is the lack of a need for unions. When the government is paying the bills that you cant pay, there is no need for unions to be created, and no need to look for another job.

As pro-business as I am.. I'm utterly amazed that the anti-union proposals being put out by the Democrats. All these proposals do is encourage businesses to keep lowering wages, and keep milking the employees.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 04:00 PM
 
397 posts, read 235,373 times
Reputation: 58
that is their problem for not putting all their money in Oil Stocks when Bush was announced President back in 2000

God Bless President Bush and God Bless America
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 04:07 PM
 
397 posts, read 235,373 times
Reputation: 58
a Republican will read this article and think it is disgusting these people are getting a free hand out
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Seattle
6,830 posts, read 15,493,628 times
Reputation: 3423
I honestly don't see how families with car payments, house payments, and all the other things that go with them are even surviving. It's hard enough for me as a single individual with a paid-for car (which has enabled me to get Internet!). I basically live paycheck to paycheck, too.

Luckily, mine is temporary -- well, at least, I hope it will be. *mumbles things about poor college kid*
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 07:25 PM
 
17,292 posts, read 27,785,199 times
Reputation: 8667
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
haha..

Not sure why people dont understand that wages and income levels are going down for the poor, because of the lack or need to make more and because the government is willing to fill in the "need" of the citizens, removing the "need" to make more.
I don't understand your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest
As I stated in another posting, one reason is the lack of a need for unions. When the government is paying the bills that you cant pay, there is no need for unions to be created, and no need to look for another job.
The government certainly does not "pay the bills" for poor people. Women on welfare can only collect welfare for X amount of years. It isn't the 70s and 80s anymore.

The reason why unions don't work anymore is because business can simply pick up and move offshore.

Global capitalism has destroyed all utopian visions of capitalist paradise in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest
As pro-business as I am.. I'm utterly amazed that the anti-union proposals being put out by the Democrats. All these proposals do is encourage businesses to keep lowering wages, and keep milking the employees.
Like?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 08:46 PM
 
69,364 posts, read 60,417,193 times
Reputation: 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I don't understand your point.

The government certainly does not "pay the bills" for poor people. Women on welfare can only collect welfare for X amount of years. It isn't the 70s and 80s anymore.

The reason why unions don't work anymore is because business can simply pick up and move offshore.

Global capitalism has destroyed all utopian visions of capitalist paradise in America.

Like?
You cant possibly not understand that with every increase in the minimum wage and every new governmental entitlement, now proposed healthcare for those making up to $80K a year etc, minimizes the benefits of unions.

Very real scenario we are facing
Employee makes $8 an hour.
Employee receives $2 benefits per hour.
Company pays $1 per hour to manage benefit packages

Government raises minimum wage to say $9
Government states that every employee making $9 per hour receives medical benefits.

Results
Company raises salary to $9 and removes benefits.
Company saves $4160 per employee.

Where does this $4160 go? Right into the upper managers pockets, or company stock holders due to increased profit margins.
Employers taxes go down, less costs, less expenses on benefit packages.
Employees taxes go up, due to making more.

Tell me who benefited more? The employee who lost $1 per hour + additional taxes or the company who saved $2 per hour + tax savings. The middle and upper management in this company would receive huge bonuses for saving their company millions, while the employees get poorer, making even less.

Rich get richer, while the poor get poorer, the whole time the government is helping them and union benefits are being washed away. What will a union ask for? Benefits when all of the employees are getting free benefits from the government?

I have seen people making $20K a year, turn down their yearly pay raise at the company they worked for because it would mean they would no longer qualify for free daycare. Where is the incentive to make more, to grow, to work to get promoted, to negotiage better benefits, better wages when the government actually encourages some people not to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top