Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
Bias is an inclination of temperament or outlook to present or hold a partial perspective at the expense of (possibly equally valid) alternatives in reference to objects, people, or groups. Anything biased generally is one-sided and therefore lacks a neutral point of view. Bias can come in many forms and is often considered to be synonymous with prejudice or bigotry.

Janelle144, the website you posted is motivated by the desire to prevent abortion. That is the website's objective. The wikipedia entry for ''abortion'', alone, has far more numerous and more credible sources, and presents an academically unbiased perspective.
But the women who have had abortions do not count or you can't take the time to listen to them. Yes bias works both ways I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 01:54 AM

408 posts, read 607,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
No thanks, I will follow Jesus and his teachings for as long as I live. You can put me on ignore though if it bothers you.

In the quote above you essentially declare your own bias. Mind you, there is NOTHING wrong with asserting you hold a bias that falls in line with the teachings of a middle-eastern prophet. You can still debate, push your point of view. But in the very least... recognize the bias ! Your objective is not to educate, but to convince other parties.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
In the quote above you essentially declare your own bias. Mind you, there is NOTHING wrong with asserting you hold a bias that falls in line with the teachings of a middle-eastern prophet. You can still debate, push your point of view. But in the very least... recognize the bias ! Your objective is not to educate, but to convince other parties.
True, on both sides. All people have biases. But you must admit I have posted many links from many sides. Religious, atheists, political, etc. I think I covered most areas that are for limiting abortions. guess you need to start a thread in favor of abortion.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:57 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
The KS government of health and environment is biased? How can a government site be biased? Now you are really reaching.
Way to take my post out of context , I was referring to the site you posted not the health dept.

Abortion is the Unchoice

Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Way to take my post out of context , I was referring to the site you posted not the health dept.

Abortion is the Unchoice
I thought you were referring to the government site. Sorry.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 AM

408 posts, read 607,471 times
Quote:
True, on both sides. All people have biases.
Of course. I don't even try to hide mine on this topic . I am vehemently in favor of letting a woman choose. But I don't oppose those who wish to convince women not to have abortions. Ultimately, I think women should be given every opportunity to reflect on their choices. It's just that, sometimes I fear pro-life groups - motivated by their moral opposition to abortion - will sometimes twist the arms of innocent women who do not wish to carry out their pregnancies.

I think the efforts of pro-life groups would be better spent educating young women about safe-sex, fertility, etc. Unwanted pregnancies are truly a shame, I'm sure both sides of Wade v. Roe can agree with that. But in my opinion the issue does not rest in the availability of abortions. Whether legal or not, abortions will continue to be performed as long as unwanted pregnancies are had.

You may be interested in this film. It really presents both sides quite fairly.

Cheers

Old 01-24-2013, 05:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
I tired but I was too old, have you tried? Have you helped abused kids? No, since you don't want to have anything to do with any child. It seems to me that disqualifies you from debating the topic. You never answer those questions but like to ask them
How much more clear I can make it, I don't want kids, I don't like kids.
Why does it disqualify me from discussing the topic?
I'm not the one trying to force people who don't want or are not equipped to deal with pregnancy or children to do so.
That's you.

I guess that since you've never had an abortion (have you?), you're disqualifying yourself from discussing the topic.

Quote:
People who are gung ho for abortion say those who are pro-life want to control women but how controlling is it when a woman goes for help and they tell her the only option she has is to get an abortion. Look at the link I posted about the woman who left the abortion industry.

They control the woman to go into the abortion mills, how evil and controlling is that? To turn the woman against their own flesh and blood, telling them it is nothing but a parasite to be flushed. Calling the aborted babies---PIC---pieces of children. So don't watch the links, that would be too controlling for you to learn about the other side.
Link or lie.
Who has ever told a woman that the only choice that they have is to abort?
Now you're just making things up.

Abortion mills?
Yeah, the local GYN is now an abortion mill.
Do you go to a GYN? I guess you're supporting abortion mills then.

Sheesh.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
For some women, yes, it can be done for a medical reason......to avoid permanent damage to her body.

Pregnancy can cause life altering damage to a woman't body that she will be forced to endure for the rest of her life.
I know abortion CAN be done for medical reasons. I said it's actually done for medical or healthcare reasons 'infrequently,' or 'rarely.' Most of the time abortion has nothing to do with medical reasons.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Only God knows if the child in the womb is an Einstein or a Hitler.
Got some proof of a god thingie?
Didn't think so.

I don't place much trust in people's fantasies.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:55 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
It is your opinion that it is a good use of money.

17 states out of 50 allow use of Medicaid funds to pay for elective abortions. So'd say the majority of states aren't convinced of the wisdom of paying for this with their own money.
I don't think you're understanding me.

The cost of raising a child is astronomical. Estimates for 2012, average it out at around $235,000, WITHOUT COLLEGE.

http://www.investmentnews.com/articl...FREE/120619948

Cost to Raise a Child in US Tops $220,000

Cost Of Raising A Child Climbs To $235,000 For Middle-Income Families

How do you figure that someone who ALREADY is relying on social programs is going to come up with the money to support that new mouth? She'll have to rely on the p*ss-poor social programs out there, that's how. Not wise at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies