Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

Maybe on the East Coast, but I can tell you that in the Midewest the GOP is totally alive and well and growing in leaps and bounds. I guess it's just a matter of perspective.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 08:21 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
That's what's so amazing about this thing. It's the rich, old white male voting block.
It's funny that you anti-whites parrot that myth all the time, when in reality, Romney won the White vote for both men and women and for each age group.

Yes, a minority of whites who are guilt ridden and live in homogenous states vote democrat, but the Republican Party is the party a majority of whites of both sexes vote for.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:29 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I just read that smokers will be paying up to $5000 more per year for insurance once they reach 60 and elevated premiums at earlier ages. What's affordable about that?

If you are a non smoker you may want to look at what has happened since the war on smokers started. Overweight people have become the go-to bullying sect. Sugary drinks are being regulated. As time goes on, rates will rise for other groups as well. And if we go single payer, it will be done through the IRS instead of insurance premiums. Ask yourself, why would smokers pay a higher premium than someone that works a high risk job such as a coal miner or firefighter?

The law was supposed to force insurance companies to cover everyone...I guess it will come at a price.

I don't care what you call the Tea Party. It's just a name. But I don't see people that use derogatory comments against ANYONE as very openminded. Looks like the anti bullying programs aren't working too well.
Premiums on individual policies have ALWAYS taken into account the insured's habits. Group policies do not.

Quote:
Insurers won’t be allowed to charge more under the overhaul for people who are overweight, or have a health condition like a bad back or a heart that skips beats — but they can charge more if a person smokes.
Smokers may not be able to afford Obamacare | Health | The Seattle Times
I say good, it's a conservative principle that one should take responsibility for one's actions. If you smoke, you are a bad risk and should pay more, instead of having everyone else subsidize you.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why the need to mention race, gender or age? I smell the stench of the race card here. I know many middle class Americans that are Republicans and they aren't white, rich, old or males. Does the stereotyping by the left ever end?
Yeah, I'm a total racist:

Republican Base Heavily White, Conservative, Religious

Studies, statistics and polls are for the purpose of determining tendency, propensity, trend, etc. If you don't like the use of these, that's too bad, since they do show tendency, propensity, trend, etc.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:56 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
That's what's so amazing about this thing. It's the rich, old white male voting block.

if it wasnt for the rich old voting block, most of the unions would not even have jobs to go to, and the federal government would be alot smaller as the tax revenues would be alot smaller.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I believe the GOP will go the way of the Whigs. It's a largely unpopular party and it's a dying class-- they seem to frustrate more Americans by the coming day.

I personally believe we're headed into a one party system, the GOP's becoming weaker at the federal level and eventually I think the Democrat party as it becomes larger and more polarized will split into two: a liberal and a moderate system.

Anyone else feeling this?
The death of the GOP would be greatly welcomed. That is an interesting idea, that there will be two major parties, the Democratic Party and the Liberal Democratic Party.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:48 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if it wasnt for the rich old voting block, most of the unions would not even have jobs to go to, and the federal government would be alot smaller as the tax revenues would be alot smaller.
That was then, and this is now.

I say the same when people start with the, "Oh but Lincoln was a Republican!" Republicans ain't like Lincoln anymore. They're a bunch of white, old, racist, evangelical *****holes, who are in love with authority, and who like nothing better than to have a scapegoat or two and punish them any way they can.

Besides, unions were killed off by Raygun and his merry band of Republican criminals.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:03 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Premiums on individual policies have ALWAYS taken into account the insured's habits. Group policies do not.

I say good, it's a conservative principle that one should take responsibility for one's actions. If you smoke, you are a bad risk and should pay more, instead of having everyone else subsidize you.
No, they haven't. When women paid less for car insurance, that was okay. When women paid more for health insurance, it was judged discrimination and made illegal. When blacks paid more for car insurance it was similarly judged discrimination and made illegal. You can charge more for mens' habit of getting into more car accidents, but you cannot charge more for blacks' habit of getting into more car accidents. And you cannot charge more for womens' habit of going to the doctor more often. Similarly, you can charge more premiums in life insurance for mens' habit of dying younger than women, but you cannot charge more premiums for blacks' habit of dying younger than whites.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:14 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
The death of the GOP would be greatly welcomed. That is an interesting idea, that there will be two major parties, the Democratic Party and the Liberal Democratic Party.
That would really destroy the country!

Old 01-26-2013, 02:45 PM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
That was then, and this is now.

I say the same when people start with the, "Oh but Lincoln was a Republican!" Republicans ain't like Lincoln anymore. They're a bunch of white, old, racist, evangelical *****holes, who are in love with authority, and who like nothing better than to have a scapegoat or two and punish them any way they can.

Besides, unions were killed off by Raygun and his merry band of Republican criminals.
Real civil there, lefty. So typical though along with the stereotyping that the GOP are all a bunch f white, old racists, etc. If I were you I would look in the mirror for racism with the kind of remarks you made here, hypocrite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies