Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:02 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Health care in France: facing hard choices

It will be the generation now entering the workforce who will pay for the years of deficit spending through some mix of higher taxes and reduced access. All of this is made worse by a looming demographic crunch. With the number of French aged 65 and older expected to grow from...

Health care in France: facing hard choices
If the number one healthcare system according to the World Health Org is having this problem then doesn't this futher demonstrate the problems with these types of healthcare systems that many say that America should have? Isn't the French system showing the problems that comes when people don't have to take into account healthcare cost and how this causes them to over consume more services than they actually need?

Last edited by Motion; 09-12-2008 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 01:10 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,719,722 times
OOO! OOO! OOO! I want to be the first doomsdayer!!!! Here it goes...

YOU AINT SEEN NOTHIN' YET!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:21 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
When its somebody else's money, fiscal responsibility is the first thing out of the window... that's why I absolutely HATE taxes... nobody takes responsibility in controlling their spending, they choose just to spend it... its not "their" money.... I have been telling people that socialized medicine doesn't help, it simply doesn't because it is the antithesis to health "care"... For instance, if Treatment A is cheap, people will demand the "newer" and more expensive Treatment B such that Treatment B becomes the standard of practice... keep in mind Treatment B will be expensive for the next 5-10 years (people seem to think expensive today, cheap tomorrow... never going to happen)... in the meantime, Treatment C comes along and be more expensive than Treatment B... so we are making something "already" expensive into something even more expensive... now the voice in you says, hold on.. we need to control costs... well that comes at a price... say Treatment A cures 10% of the time... Treatment B cures 14% of the time and Treatment C cures 16% of the time... what are you going to choose to control costs? Are Americans going to accept less than optimal care to control costs? No? Then what the heck are you trying to say? You want the best but won't pay for the best? And that's where socialized medicine comes along, they want SOMEONE else to pay for it... okay well, instead of 100k people wanting Treatment C, we have 10 M people wanting Treatment C even though its not that great compared to even Treatment A... There is no sustainable way of controlling costs and that's why socialized medicine will NOT work unless people ACCEPT lesser health "care" (i.e. cheaper care)... with cheaper health care, there is a price to pay... more deaths and WORSE outcome...... who is at fault for that? Will we make all health care industry immune from lawsuits or pay very little for "bad medicine"? Lawyers won't be happy with that... Something bad happen in Cuba? Too bad... the socioeconomic policy of every country is different and comparing health care is akin to comparing apples and oranges...

Now, you might say, our system isn't working great... and you are correct... there are major problems with health care insurance and Medicare/Medicaid as well as the uninsured... Those problems need to tackled head on, not ignored and replaced with a broken system of socialized care...

Old 09-12-2008, 02:09 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
When its somebody else's money, fiscal responsibility is the first thing out of the window...
Milton agrees with you:

YouTube - The 4 Ways to Spend Money by Milton Friedman

Old 09-15-2008, 01:32 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times
To those who saw Sicko did Michael Moore touch on the French system? If so did it include this information?

Old 09-15-2008, 02:19 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,719,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those who saw Sicko did Michael Moore touch on the French system? If so did it include this information?
http://www.michaelmooreisfat.com/images/pizza.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
Why does Michael Moore hate America?
Just look at what growing up there did to him.

What happened when Michael Moore went to the beach?
People kept trying to push him back into the water.

When happened when Michael Moore was born?
They smashed a bottle of champagne against his side.

Why does Michael Moore wear shirts?
To hide his harpoon scars.

How do you clean a tunnel?
Tie a rope around Michael Moore and drag him through.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Perfect example are the mothers who have Medicaid for their kids. They abuse that like crazy for the stupidest things. My motto:

"Money's no object when it's not your money."

Old 09-15-2008, 03:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
The OP is saying that America does NOT have any problems in the health care system. Did I understand that correctly?

Old 09-15-2008, 05:29 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,848,514 times
The financial system in the USA is imploding because of big corporation greed. The Health service in the USA is in the bad shape it's in because of the same reason. Amazing how people who scream about the Govt's. Incompetence to run a Health service or any other service are OK when the Govt. has to bail out the truly incompetent private sector. Having been brought up in a Govt run UHC and now living in the USA with it's overpriced, overprivatised, failing health serrvice, i can say without doubt that America could be a Nation with a top health service for all if it could only take away it's over dependence on the Private sector. It can be seen it just doesn't work. Millions without health cover can vouch for that.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:55 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
America could be a Nation with a top health service for all if it could only take away it's over dependence on the Private sector. It can be seen it just doesn't work. Millions without health cover can vouch for that.
I'm without health cover[age] and I completely disagree with you. My health care is my responsibility, not yours or anyone else's.

If you want to pay for my insurance, I'll give you an address where you can send the check. I am NOT interested in adding the U.S. government into the equation. It would accomplish nothing more than inserting another - very thick - layer of bureaucracy, paperwork, cost and inefficiency into the system.

It may work for some countries, although the stories I've heard and read lead me to believe that it's not working as well as they'd like us to believe. The thing is, though, this country isn't like any other country. Our system of government was designed to be small and unobtrusive. It's not supposed to get involved in such things, and when it tries, it's not able to do it effectively. The only thing it's done reasonably well on a large scale is the postal service, and there's plenty of people complaining about that...

No, sorry. You'll never convince me that in this country, government managed health care would be better than what he have now. If the individual states want to do it (e.g. MA), I'm fine with that, but the federal government doesn't have the resources, ability or mandate to do the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies