Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:36 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,029 times

Advertisements

Explicit Sex-Ed Pamphlets Distributed To Pre-Teens (http://wcbstv.com/local/wellness.fair.gay.2.392825.html - broken link)

Children as young as 10-years-old in Westchester were among those mistakenly given graphic sex education material meant for adults, leaving parents furious and even more upset with answers they're getting about the incident.

These kinds of "accidents" have happened before. I don't for a minute believe this was a mistake but attempts to expose children to graphic sex under the "oopsie" scheme. What are your childen being exposed to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 01:40 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I am not going to make any speculation on the motivation or scope of distributing this material, but the last sentence is very telling:

"The County Healthy Department says some schools ask to review materials in advance of these wellness fairs, but Irvington chose not to."

Old 10-19-2007, 01:45 PM

223 posts, read 604,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Explicit Sex-Ed Pamphlets Distributed To Pre-Teens (http://wcbstv.com/local/wellness.fair.gay.2.392825.html - broken link)

Children as young as 10-years-old in Westchester were among those mistakenly given graphic sex education material meant for adults, leaving parents furious and even more upset with answers they're getting about the incident.

These kinds of "accidents" have happened before. I don't for a minute believe this was a mistake but attempts to expose children to graphic sex under the "oopsie" scheme. What are your childen being exposed to?

Who gives a crap, they are going to learn it someday. Must have been a slow news day.

Maybe if the people in this country got the sticks out of their behinds we would all be less stressed out and maybe that would lead to less violence and hatred.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:49 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
Paranoia is no excuse for another worthless thread. Mistakes happen. I guess if the mistake involves sex, gays, illegals or anything else you oppose, it's now done on purpose. I know a lot of things I would never expose children to. And a lot of people, too.

You cannot shelter your children from the truth, you can only empower them with it. If they come across information before they're mature enough for it, you deal with it as best you can using calm, understanding tones. Expressing any anger toward them will only increase the negative effect, if any. You handle it like any other unexpected event. You certainly don't resort to paranoia, use wild accusations, or start witch hunts. What lesson does that response teach your children?

Old 10-19-2007, 01:54 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
Sex should be a family matter, taught by parents, at whatever age they see fit. The gov't has no business people's bedrooms, living rooms, or whereever else they think it is their business to be.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:29 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Kids should learn about sex the old fashioned way. By finding dad's Playboys hidden in the basement or your parent's copy of The Joy of Sex hidden away in their bedroom.

I feel sorry for kids today. There's no thrill of triumph in finding a well-hidden magazine or book when you can just google anything you can imagine.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:32 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
LOL!! 10 is way too young. 13 is a good age. At the age of 10 I was barely trading Pokemon cards with my friends-- that is just perverting the young minds.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:33 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Sex should be a family matter, taught by parents, at whatever age they see fit. The gov't has no business people's bedrooms, living rooms, or whereever else they think it is their business to be.

I disagree, what if the parents never talked to their kids about sex? I was barely talked to about sex by my parents. In the Mexican culture talking about such things is considered "Nasty" and "Perverted".

Old 10-19-2007, 02:39 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
If I had waited for my parents to talk about sex to me, well, let's say I'd still be waiting at 44
Thankfully we did have sex education.
When I was about 9 I saw a tampon, but didn't know what it was. I asked my mom, but didn't get answer

Old 10-19-2007, 02:48 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,196 times
And how many of those 10 year olds actually read the pamphlet? I really do not see the harm in simple information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies