Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 09:08 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Rosa Parks had the guts to stand up for what's right. I would put her on my hero list.

What did Milk do other than get shot?
You must really hate gay people. Your contempt and disdain for every gay people betrays your rage against the LGBT Community. You are quite the troll, aren't you?

What did Milk do?

He did enough to get an Academy Award winning documentary made about his life: The Times Of Harvey Milk.

He did enough to have books written about him, such as the award winning biography The Mayor Of Castro Street by journalist Randy Shilts; even a book published in France in French.

He did enough to have a plaza named after him in San Francisco.

He did enough to have a High School named after him.

He did enough to have a play written by him, and an opera about him that was performed at the Metropolitan Opera in New York's Lincoln Center.

He did enough to have an Academy Award winning biopic starring Sean Penn made about him.

Even here in my city on the east coast there are tributes to Harvey Milk as an American hero in two museums: The National Liberty Museum ... and The National Museum Of American Jewish History.

Harvey Milk's legacy endures three decades after his assassination.

What have you done, that you will be remembered after you are dead???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
You beat me to the punch. I thought that harry was only against gay marriage. Turns out that he just hates gays period. Harvey Milk was braver than brave when he led the fight for gay rights when gays were REALLY hated. SFO airport should be named for such a true American hero.
'Harry" hates no one.

You are a typical liberal who can't have an adult conversation without slandering your opponent.

Mr. Milk may have been an effective supervisor - but so have many others.

Why does he deserve an airport to be named after him?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
[color=#444444] Harvey Milk in a posthumous move normally reserved for the likes of ex-Presidents.
Funny, I can only think of two major airports named after Presidents, Kennedy and Reagan.

Unless you consider Fiorello Henry LaGuardia, Maynard Jackson, William Berry Hartsfield, Edward Henry “Butch” O’Hare former Presidents.

Airports are normally named after civic figures.

Mountain, meet molehill.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
WTF?!!! What do you mean by that? You really should educate yourself. Go read "The Mayor of Castro Street" or watch the movie "Milk". He also stood up for what's right when it wasn't easy. SF was always the gay mecca that it is today. It had deep prejudice just like every other city. Harvey Milk led the fight for human rights for gays and was instrumental in defeating the Briggs initiative.
What did he stand up for that was right?

Don't tell me that you are seriously comparing Milk to Ms. Parks.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

What did Milk do?

He did enough to get an Academy Award winning documentary made about his life: The Times Of Harvey Milk.

He did enough to have books written about him, such as the award winning biography The Mayor Of Castro Street by journalist Randy Shilts; even a book published in France in French.

He did enough to have a plaza named after him in San Francisco.

He did enough to have a High School named after him.

He did enough to have a play written by him, and an opera about him that was performed at the Metropolitan Opera in New York's Lincoln Center.

He did enough to have an Academy Award winning biopic starring Sean Penn made about him.

Even here in my city on the east coast there are tributes to Harvey Milk as an American hero in two museums: The National Liberty Museum ... and The National Museum Of American Jewish History.

Harvey Milk's legacy endures three decades after his assassination.
What did he do to be so honored?

He was a county supervisor - what is so prestigious about that?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Why do you keep asking this question, even though numerous people have already outlined the answer? Are you purposefully ignoring those replies, or do you still think he was "just a supervisor?" I think you're being stubborn on purpose now.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:

Doesn't matter. If the people of San Francisco believe that he's prestigious enough, that's all that matters. Not what you think.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Rosa Parks did a lot more than that, but I understand what you are saying. After her "stunt", Mrs Parks was threatened, lost her job (Mr too). She was also a very active member of the NAACP and active in the struggle. Her action and the action of other unsung heroes before her sparked the Montgomery boycott which was the catalyst that really put the civil rights struggle in full gear, proving that the people could actually win against a racist institution.
If you read about the life of Harvey Milk you will know that he was a pioneer of the LGBT civil rights movement. When he was elected Supervisor in the city of San Francisco, this was not the first time he ran for political office. When Milk did win, that was the very first time an openly gay man was elected to political office in the state of California.

In Massachusetts, Elaine Noble was the first openly Lesbian to be elected to the Massachusetts State House in the year 1972. Like Milk, she was and is, a hero.

Harvey Milk was an inspiration to people. He was regarded as a hero to people.

I can see it is a tactic of homophobic gay-haters to dismiss and marginalize anything and everything gay people do or accomplish.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:

Please ... go read a book about the life of Harvey Milk.

I don't have time to educate prejudiced people.

Read about a life of praiseworthy advocacy, civil disobedience, civil rights activism, labor relations, authorship of numerous articles and documents, political action.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
What did he stand up for that was right?
The right to be allowed to live openly and unashamed as a gay man (which wasn't as easy to accomplish as it is today), and the strength to stand up for this right without apologies. Not to mention everything else listed on this thread, which you seem to be ignoring deliberately. Whether YOU think these things are "pride-worthy" is irrelevant, because it was/is a worthy cause to many Americans.

Who are you to question what they should or shouldn't consider noteworthy? People look up to different public figures for many reasons, some of which I probably don't care about either - but to each their own, right?

Quote:
Don't tell me that you are seriously comparing Milk to Ms. Parks.
Why not? Is one cause more worthy than another, just because you personally like it better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies