Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

I don't live in Fontana, so i don't care.

I'm not so sure it matters anyway. By the time they unlock the weapons after realizing what's going on, the rampage will probably have ended with a whole lot of folks dead before they can respond. Hell, the gunman will probably kill himself before they ever get to him.

But whatever. Not my problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 01:27 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't live in Fontana, so i don't care.

I'm not so sure it matters anyway. By the time they unlock the weapons after realizing what's going on, the rampage will probably have ended with a whole lot of folks dead before they can respond. Hell, the gunman will probably kill himself before they ever get to him.

But whatever. Not my problem.
I wonder how long it will take until one of these cabinets is left unlocked. When the Chatfield K-8 school in Michigan hired a cop and firearms safety instructor to be an armed security guard in response to Sandy Hook it took him, what, 1 week before he accidentally left his gun in the restroom for any kid to come and pick up.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:29 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Sometimes people are not aware of the practical shooting issues of the common belt guns. The AR 15 is far more accurate that the hand gun. That is a hugh safety consideration as the rounds from the common police belt gun spray all over an area endangering the lives of the public. The AR will allow the responder to stay in control of the rounds.
Exactly. And engage the shooter from a greater distance, more accurately, and with better stopping-power than a pistol round. AR's have become fairly common in police hands the past decade or so. I think it's actually makes a better cop gun than soldier gun. I think the .223 is underpowered for military use.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The armament of the schools is on. I'm sure the gunnuts will be thrilled.

Fontana School PD Purchases 14 AR-15 Assault Weapons To Protect Students
January 22, 2013 10:40 PM

FONTANA (CBSLA.com) — The Fontana Unified School District Police Department purchased 14 AR-15 assault weapons to protect students in response to recent shootings across the country, but the decision isn’t sitting well with some school leaders and citizens.

Superintendent Cali Olsen-Binks approved the acquisition of the rifles, which are being stored on campuses in locked safes for responding police officers in the event of an attack.

Fontana Police Chief Rodney Jones and Mayor Acquanetta Warren supported the idea.

“It’s unfortunate that we have to have that, but it’s the best message we can send to anybody that thinks to harm our children,” said Jones. “Because the message we’re sending is…not here, not now, we’re prepared for you. And if you seek to harm our children, we will neutralize that threat and you will most likely be killed.”

Fontana School PD Purchases 14 AR-15 Assault Weapons To Protect Students « CBS Los Angeles
Other then the usual rant that ANYONE who chooses to own a gun OR support gun rights is a "gun nut".

It really is a shame that after ALL the conversations about guns that so many STILL don't know that an AR 15 is NOT an assault weapon.

NOWHERE in the article did I read "Assault weapons".

Oh, I forgot, the story comes from CBS.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 01-23-2013 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
It's like said, and GregW said, having firearms locked up is like having none at all.

I'm sort of against having firearms in schools anyways. It would be about the same if all the windows on schools were bricked up and doors fortified with bullet proof glass with bars over the glass, and fortified locks.

Instead of going through all of this trouble, why don't officials just purchase no longer used jails and penitentiaries and turn them into schools? It would keep the bad and mentally unstable out.

I really can't think of anything worse than a gunfight in a classroom setting with children trying to hide while bullets being sprayed everywhere by good and bad guys. I would think more people would be killed or injured.
As far back as 1969 Washington, D.C, had D.C police in even grade schools. At the time D.C was labled the "murder capitol of the country."

I don't recall ANY incedent where, "more people would be killed or injured."

Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Poor choice of weapon for close quarters, plus a 223/5.56 round could go through a lot of sheet rock and hit an inocent. 9mm or 45 pistol or HK would fit the need better.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:25 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Not surprising the lefties still hate that these children are now more secure than before.....

And damn....they are secure with those darn "black rifles".......

Old 01-23-2013, 05:14 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Ahh, the reasonable left-wing.

Do you really wonder why you get some of the responses you do? Really? If you're going to antagonize people like you do, then you should expect responses in kind. It's obvious that you don't want any truly rational discussion on the issue - you clearly just want to tick people off.

Grow up.
OK, lets see if you are capable of rational discussion. Answer this one singe question with a rational answer. If guns have such a positive effect on society and keeping people safe, then what does the US with the highest rate of gun ownership, also have the most violent crime, the most murders, and the most mass-shootings, of any of the developed countries in the world?

I'm waiting to hear your rational discussion of this.I waiting.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
It's always a hoot, listening to paranoid gun-haters trying to tell normal people what conservatives think.
Sorry to break it too you, but that was from the horse's mouth.

NRA Press Conference: Wayne LaPierre Calls For Armed Police Officers At Every School

Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Other then the usual rant that ANYONE who chooses to own a gun OR support gun rights is a "gun nut".

It really is a shame that after ALL the conversations about guns that so many STILL don't know that an AR 15 is NOT an assault weapon.

NOWHERE in the article did I read "Assault weapons".

Oh, I forgot, the story comes from CBS.
Nobody except you gunnuts, gives a freak, whats its called. Now how about trying to address the real issues. What are we going to do to end school shootings, once and for all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies