Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,911,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

You, in post 51

Me, responding to your post 51

It appears that you were discussing abortion.
Post #50 was a response to post #45:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If you had your way, a woman who has an abortion would be thrown in jail, along with the doctor. Big gubiment controlling a woman's womb

End of thread....
SV brought up abortion - totally out of left field I might add.

In post #50 - I responded to SV:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Wrong - I oppose all imprisonment and capital punishment.

It is up to the states what type of laws they would draft.

I would prefer a system where abortion clinics are not allowed to operate and where doctors who perform abortions lose their license to practice.

I would also support abortion to be classified as a malpractice tort that could be litigated in civil courts with the claimant being the state.

This system would hold only the doctors liable, however not criminally.
In post #51 - you changed the subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
What punishment would you support for fathers who fail to provide emotionally, financially, and domestically (changing diapers, feeding, etc) for their children?
So, I am quite accurate in saying that from post #51 and on, I had not been discussing abortion. There was a short exchange about abortion between SV and myself, and that was it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,931,403 times
Dear me. Am I the only conservative on this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
It's time to stop worshiping government laws.
Government laws?

Sorry but those are the People's Laws laws put in place deemed necessary to protect the People's interest. If you don't like a particular law then work to have them changed there are quite a few that need being changed, pick one.

Quote:
It's time to stop attaching any significance to them.
Please be my guest, I am sure there is are vacancies at your local federal prison.

Quote:
It's time to stop framing your morals around them.
The law is but one form of codified morality so morality shouldn't be based upon law alone, so on this point I agree.

Quote:
It's time to stop vilifying people for breaking the laws to protect the government.
Protecting endangered species is protecting the government?

Protecting wilderness areas is protecting the government?

Protecting against the destruction of evidence is protecting the government?

Protecting system securities of private firms is protecting the government?

Protecting citizens against wire fraud is protecting the government?

Providing material support for terrorists is protecting the government?

Providing false statements to federal law enforcement officials is protecting the government?

The fact that prosecutorial misconduct and overzealousness does exist and does happen is and will remain problematic, but is that a bais for a blanket disregard for the law? I prefer to take this issue on a case by case basis, based upon fact, not supposition and aggrandizement.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:56 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,054,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What I have is a distaste for are websites, blogs, forums, or new media reports that proclaim some sort of alleged outrages based upon few facts that later become holy writ.

For example: Poor Ms Huang wasn't indicted by a grand jury, convicted in federal court, or lost her appeal and was denied a writ of certiorari by the U.S. Supreme Court for just importing lobsters but for "conspiracy, smuggling, money laundering, and Lacey Act violations in connection with the importation, sale, and purchase of Caribbean spiny lobsters from Honduras."

United States v. McNab

As for my sense of justice? I when I see or hear of an injustice based upon facts and not some "anti-government" screed whether that screed comes from the left or the right.
You give the government the benefit of the doubt but not the woman who was thrown in jail for importing lobsters? Tell me what's wrong with this picture.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
you dont know what that word means.
I most certainly do.

I guess that you aren't familiar with academic honesty policies, or professional honesty for that matter. No once can conduct research writing for any purpose and not know how to avoid plagiarizing others work.

Why don't you stick with what you know rather than presuming what you think that I don't.

You will improve your credibility drastically.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:56 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,401,241 times
Default The Average American Commits Three Felonies A day

Quote:
Are you a potential felon, but don't know it?

You, too?

Amazon.com: Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent (9781594035227): Harvey Silverglate: Books

Isn't it time that we stop our federal government from descending into tyranny?

Wake up, would ya?

It's a case of "privatization", not federal government intrusion.

Since prison were "privatized" in the 80's, America has become the world's biggest jailer. Theses for-profit prisons get paid on the basis of how many bodies they hold. The corporations owning these "private" prisons do what corporations always do - they buy political influence and get legislation passed that favors their bottom line.

I know you can fill in the blanks w/o a lot of assistance.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM

4,298 posts, read 4,392,244 times
I'm above average then. :^D

Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM

77,826 posts, read 59,987,722 times
I'm going to cropdust my co-workers cube later. I'm hoping it's effective enough to count as one of my three today or I'm going to have to make up for it when I get home.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The Average American Commits Three Felonies A day
How did I know she was 16?
Statutary rape laws should be seriously revised, especially for those under 18 who engage in sexual relations with those under 18.

I may have already posted something like this - but it deserves to be repeated.

We can't let liberals and assorted Democrats make lifelong registered sex offenders of our children.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick gar View Post
We need stronger law enforcement so all Americans can get their 3 felony charges to be sent by mail every day. I'd just toss them in the garbage and let felony go the dodo like the term racist has.
I used to throw most jury summons in the trash.

That was until I learned about jury nullification and the Fully Informed Jury Association ( www.fija.org ).

I have not been called for jury duty since, but I will respond now.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,484,908 times
Quote:
That is another very good example.

Watch, the feds will seek to make statutory rape a federal crime in the near future.
Why shouldn't rape be a federal crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies