Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,988,147 times

Advertisements

There was a time in our past when unions were needed but with the tighter labor laws enacted the union have become an albatross around the very people they are suppose to help and the public at large. For example: the Public Employees Unions, just who do these people work for, the union or the public?

Unions are a parasite on the very people they represent, I mean PARASITE in the true sense of the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 AM

7,443 posts, read 6,989,683 times
This is probably why the only hope left of unions is in the public sector, which never should have been unionized in the first place.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,608,492 times
Unions peaked in the 50's when there was a labor shortage and a closed market for unique reasons that will never occur again. While FDR was pro union, he remained against organized labor within the public sector. That eventually changed in the early 60's with JFK.

Fast forward 20 years and it made more sense to begin outsourcing manufacturing jobs than perform them, here. Technology increased productivity and eliminated or substantially changed many manufacturing jobs. The consumer has been the beneficiary of outsourcing and technology. No one is willing to pay more ( union tax) for something manufactured in the U.S. when offshore labor is practically free.

The issue now is public sector unions. States, cities and municipalities took on substantial pension debt to keep the peace and kicked the can to the future. They did so despite that the private sector moved away from defined retirement plans in favor of 401K matching and gave employees the right and responsibility to grow their own retirement funds. It's a bad situation for everyone, including the beneficiaries who depended on their pensions.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,236,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
even in the age of Obama...

News from The Associated Press

not all of the current trends favor dems.
Isn't it interesting that worker's rights have also been declining.
Hmmmmm.

Don't whine about your working conditions.
After all, you support the removal of benefits and rights.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:37 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Hmmmmm.

Which worker's rights, specifically, have been declining?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,666,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
I tell you why people don't like unions, especially right-wing types! It gave minorities and women power! That's it in a nutshell!
Wrong.. the unions use union dues to get Democratic idiots into office and then they are owned. You know how it is. Unions practically force the union members to vote democrat.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,666,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Hmmmmm.

Unions had their time and place but as I always say there comes a point where power is abused. Unions should not dictate who is elected. After this election and the unions getting Obama in office I am all for the demise of unions. If they hadn't I would have thought about it longer and don't know my decision. Getting Obama elected was bad enough to show they don't care how the union members want to elect.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,205,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
I tell you why people don't like unions, especially right-wing types! It gave minorities and women power! That's it in a nutshell!
the unions are about the unions not the workers .Most unions could care less about the workers as long as they pay their dues.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,375,282 times
There's an undeniable correlation between the decline in unions and the decline in wages for middle class workers here in the US. I guess that's a good thing as long as those "union thugs" don't get good benefits and pensions anymore, though.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,098,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Good. Unions are a joke.

There was once a time and a place for them, and thankfully that time has long since passed. Nowadays, they are nothing but havens for losers, degenerates, and parasites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Who would have thought that a union supporter would use a race card? Unions are dying for a reason, they helped us at one point but now they do nothing but hold us back. People who need labor unions to survive can't do so on their own, uneducated and unskilled people always need help from others to survive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
There was a time in our past when unions were needed but with the tighter labor laws enacted the union have become an albatross around the very people they are suppose to help and the public at large. For example: the Public Employees Unions, just who do these people work for, the union or the public?

Unions are a parasite on the very people they represent, I mean PARASITE in the true sense of the work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Which worker's rights, specifically, have been declining?
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Unions had their time and place but as I always say there comes a point where power is abused. Unions should not dictate who is elected. After this election and the unions getting Obama in office I am all for the demise of unions. If they hadn't I would have thought about it longer and don't know my decision. Getting Obama elected was bad enough to show they don't care how the union members want to elect.
Please explain this then: Upper Big Branch Mine disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2436115.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies