Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 PM

8,887 posts, read 5,368,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Now, dammit, those two results surely aren't what Obama and his followers would want to see happen. In fact, they are just the opposite.
I'm sure Alabama has given BO's displeasure all the concern it deserves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But less spending and smaller government absolutely makes no reasonable sense, especially if your state is growing in population. Bridges and highways need maintained more than ever due to added wear. Public buildings, such as schools, need repaired, if not rebuilt for modern times. Prisons and keeping them staffed always need money from a growing population. Various state employees may be due for pay raises and on it goes. If you, or tea partiers, don't like my answer, then go advocate for selling off government piece by piece to the highest private bidders. That would be a way to get rid of your problem.
I see that you chose only the neccesary infrastructure(besides prisons - I would be very happy the day that every prison is demolished and all prisoners are set free) that most state governments should provide. You said nothing about the entitlement programs that are killing budgets all across the republic - nor did you talk about the federal government, whom by the U.S. Constitution is limited to the powers stated in Article I, Section 8.

When you decide to not limit your scope of analysis and thus be deceptive, I will be more than happy to discuss the merits of limiting spending and decreasing taxes.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
People's ignorance never ceases to amaze me. OP admits he's never been to Kansas. All they know about Kansas is from the Wizard of Oz and what they have "heard" and they think they know what Kansas is all about. And this is coming from someone who lives in GEORGIA?

This is what Kansas is about: They were admitted to the union as a FREE state. They participated in the underground railroad to free slaves. Georgia, on the other hand, was a slave state. Seems like Kansas as more progressive than Georgia, huh?

Yes, we have tornados. So does Florida. Actually, Florida has more tornados than Kansas.

Yes, Fred Phelps lives in Topeka. We hate him as much as the rest of the country does.

Yes, we are a red state and tend to be conservative. But not everyone is conservative; we have a large amount of liberal leaning people as well. We let gay people and biracial couples and Jewish people and Asian people and Middle Eastern people and Hispanic people and black people live here. Hey OP, your home state of Georgia is a red state too. I guess the right wing agenda must be alive in Georgia!

Overland Park, Kansas is always on Money Magazine's list of Best Places To Live. It varies from county to county, and a lot of Kansas is rural, but the county I live in is one of the wealthiest counties in the nation, has some of the best schools in the nation, and the people are well educated, thank you very much. In my particular city, which is not the wealthiest, the median income is $90,000 - so obviously these aren't stupid, uneducated people like the OP suggests.

Kansans are no different from people everywhere else. We are not uneducated, ignorant, or any of the other stereotypes the OP assumes are true. We don't have the ocean and we don't have mountains and we are not New York or LA. But in Kansas you can breathe fresh air and live without fear for your safety. We have very little crime to speak of and chances are you are never going to be the victim of violent crime in Kansas. You have wide open spaces. People are friendly.

Yes, the right wing "agenda" is alive in Kansas. So is the left wing "agenda." And the same is true of the OP's state, Georgia, and every other state in the US.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
People's ignorance never ceases to amaze me. OP admits he's never been to Kansas. All they know about Kansas is from the Wizard of Oz and what they have "heard" and they think they know what Kansas is all about. And this is coming from someone who lives in GEORGIA?

This is what Kansas is about: They were admitted to the union as a FREE state. They participated in the underground railroad to free slaves. Georgia, on the other hand, was a slave state. Seems like Kansas as more progressive than Georgia, huh?

Yes, we have tornados. So does Florida. Actually, Florida has more tornados than Kansas.

Yes, Fred Phelps lives in Topeka. We hate him as much as the rest of the country does.

Yes, we are a red state and tend to be conservative. But not everyone is conservative; we have a large amount of liberal leaning people as well. We let gay people and biracial couples and Jewish people and Asian people and Middle Eastern people and Hispanic people and black people live here. Hey OP, your home state of Georgia is a red state too. I guess the right wing agenda must be alive in Georgia!

Overland Park, Kansas is always on Money Magazine's list of Best Places To Live. It varies from county to county, and a lot of Kansas is rural, but the county I live in is one of the wealthiest counties in the nation, has some of the best schools in the nation, and the people are well educated, thank you very much. In my particular city, which is not the wealthiest, the median income is $90,000 - so obviously these aren't stupid, uneducated people like the OP suggests.

Kansans are no different from people everywhere else. We are not uneducated, ignorant, or any of the other stereotypes the OP assumes are true. We don't have the ocean and we don't have mountains and we are not New York or LA. But in Kansas you can breathe fresh air and live without fear for your safety. We have very little crime to speak of and chances are you are never going to be the victim of violent crime in Kansas. You have wide open spaces. People are friendly.

Yes, the right wing "agenda" is alive in Kansas. So is the left wing "agenda." And the same is true of the OP's state, Georgia, and every other state in the US.
Sorry, you can't compare Kansas to Georgia. Georgia isn't as crazy as Kansas. The government here still believes and invests in education, R&D and schools (the latest budget maintains the HOPE scholarship and allocates $19billion to schools).

Old 01-24-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Sorry, you can't compare Kansas to Georgia. Georgia isn't as crazy as Kansas. The government here still believes and invests in education, R&D and schools (the latest budget maintains the HOPE scholarship and allocates $19billion to schools).
And yet you admit you know nothing about Kansas. If I based my opinion of Georgia on things I've "heard," about it, I wouldn't have a good opinion. But whereas you have never even BEEN to Kansas, I HAVE been to Georgia (not impressed, by the way).

You know nothing about Kansas. You are talking out your *****.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
And yet you admit you know nothing about Kansas. If I based my opinion of Georgia on things I've "heard," about it, I wouldn't have a good opinion. But whereas you have never even BEEN to Kansas, I HAVE been to Georgia (not impressed, by the way).

You know nothing about Kansas. You are talking out your *****.
I dont need to have wasted my life in Kansas to know whats going on there. All the links I posted + numerous extensive news outlets are reporting the shenanigans there.

GA has one of America's leading cities : Atlanta. And Atlanta is no right-wing town.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I dont need to have wasted my life in Kansas to know whats going on there. All the links I posted + numerous extensive news outlets are reporting the shenanigans there.

GA has one of America's leading cities : Atlanta. And Atlanta is no right-wing town.
And what I have "heard" about Atlanta is the high crime rate. Lots of crime shenanigans being reported in Atlanta! And I guess Atlanta got outvoted in the election, since Georgia went for Romney!

And I realize the welfare rolls in Georgia are probably high, but I think it is great that Kansas is SLASHING welfare rolls. To me, that is a GOOD thing. And what is wrong with reducing/eliminating income taxes and letting people keep more of the money they earn? The only thing that bothers me about that is I don't want everyone moving to Kansas and ruining it for those of us who are already here.

And did you even read your own articles? Because if so, I think you are having some reading comprehension problems.

Also, where you live has a crime index of 6 on a scale of 1 to 100 with 100 being the safest.
Your chances of becoming a victim of a violent crime are 1 in 180.
Your chances of being a victim of property crime is 1 in 19.
You have 118 crimes per square mile and the national average is 39.6 per square mile.
Home appreciation rates since 1990 where you live: +26.34% (-30.70% in the last 10 years).

Norcross crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

Where I live:
Crime index of 68 on a scale of 1 to 100, 100 being safest (and yours is 6)
Chances of becoming a victim of a violent crime: 1 in 908 (yours is 1 in 180)
Chances of becoming a victom of property crime: 1 in 80 (yours is 1 in 19)
We have 48 crimes per square mile and you have 118. (Average for Kansas is 25 and average for Georgia is 34.)
Home appreciation rates since 1990 where I live: +76.97 (+0.64% in the last 10 years). MUCH BETTER than your numbers.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ks/...village/crime/

Looks to me like Kansas is a better place to live.

Last edited by luzianne; 01-24-2013 at 11:52 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But less spending and smaller government absolutely makes no reasonable sense, especially if your state is growing in population. Bridges and highways need maintained more than ever due to added wear. Public buildings, such as schools, need repaired, if not rebuilt for modern times. Prisons and keeping them staffed always need money from a growing population. Various state employees may be due for pay raises and on it goes. If you, or tea partiers, don't like my answer, then go advocate for selling off government piece by piece to the highest private bidders. That would be a way to get rid of your problem.
More people using roads and bridges means more toll and state gas tax revenue....which are intended for road and bridge maintenance. Local governments waste the money, then come begging for more.

Schools are supposed to be maintained using property taxes....the more people, the more tax revenue. In my township, 63% of my property tax is for schools. Again, local politicians waste the revenue then come begging for more.

As far as prisons, state tax revenue is intended for maintenance and staffing. I believe that there are far too many government laws that are too far reaching. Decriminalizing marihuana would knock down prison populations by 1/3. But again, you lefties want big intrusive government until its reach involves you.

We have too few people paying into the pot.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:

Cutting taxes=shenanigans.

That's rich!

Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Quote:
TeaPartiers, in control in Kansas, to eliminate income tax and government services

Kansas' Governor and G.O.P. Seek to Eliminate Income Tax

Other radical Kansas right winger attempts on taxes and immigration

Brownback tax plan would hit impoverished Kansans the hardest - KansasCity.com

Immigration Splits Kansas GOP, Business Coalition - WSJ.com

To their credit, moderate Kansas republicans are against this nonsense but they are outnumbered by the baggers in the statehouse.

It never ceases to amaze me the extent to which the Republican Party hates poor people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies