Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You can't have it both ways.

You either want the government out of your life or you don't.

hmm.... I dont want government to stop regulating bank robbery. So does that mean I dont want government out of my life?

Libertarians believe that one of the very few roles that government has is to enforce laws meant to protect the innocent.

babies are among the most innocent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You can't have it both ways.

You either want the government out of your life or you don't.
Being pro life has nothing to do with government. Protecting the right of the child to have life liberty and the pursuit of happiness is a normal goal for all responsible adults. Only barbaric scum would want children to be murdered. Nobody is limiting a person's right to birth control. Murder as birth control is uncivilized.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
"Medical scientist" using terms like "unborn baby"?

For some reason, I don't believe in your claim to be a medical scientist.
Nope. Not at all.
Do I need to scan my college diploma and registry certificate from the American Society of Clinical Pathologists? Shall I forward you my resume? Actually the full title for healthcare workers who do what I do is "Medical Laboratory Scientist," but I used a shortened version.

Did you even notice that in my sentence where I used the term "unborn baby," I was putting forth what I have seen to be the "staunch pro-life side" (and I followed the term "unborn baby" with "fetus or whatever you choose to call it")

And in real life, I do often use the term "unborn baby," for the same reason that my obstetrician let me hear my BABY'S heartbeat while I was pregnant. Have you seriously never known any pregnant women who didn't refer to the contents of her uterus as her "baby"?

I spent a fair amount of time composing a well-thought out, middle-ground post, that I hoped would illicit intelligent responses from both sides. Didn't expect to be accused of faking an entire career.

What was your point?

Last edited by kayanne; 01-25-2013 at 08:53 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I certainly agree that to look at a zygote is very different than looking at a human (post-birth) infant. But somewhere during 9 months of pregnancy the difference diminishes.

I used to be very strongly pro-life. I've definitely softened, or actually just become more muddied on the issue. I don't call myself "pro-life" or "pro-choice" at this point (and in a way I feel guilty about that, because I do think it is an important issue, but frankly I've been focused on my own life and my own problems and haven't been bothered with involvement on either side for quite a while).

On the one hand, I have more compassion now for a woman in the position of dealing with an unwanted pregnancy. But as a medical scientist, I know that there is no difference, for example, between an 8-month fetus still inside the womb and a baby born prematurely at 8 months gestation.

I've never been a fan of the "my body my choice" argument. For staunch pro-lifers, who absolutely believe that an unborn baby (or fetus or whatever you choose to call it) is every bit as human as any other person, then "my body my choice" type of arguments are as twisted as saying a parent has the right to kill any of their children. They feel there can be no justification for the legal killing of a child. And really, can anyone give compelling reasons that a late term abortion is any different than the murder of a born preemie?

Here's another question to muddy the waters --- let's say an unborn baby is having surgery outside the womb (in other words, the surgeon removes the fetus via C-section for the surgery, then returns the fetus to the womb after the surgery). Was this tiny patient a "human" while outside the womb, but returned to "fetus" status after the surgery?

It's not cut and dried to me. At the very least, I am bothered to know that late term abortion is still legal in some states (actually most states, in various circumstances). In my opinion, somewhere between zygote and viability that "little blob of cells" becomes a human being worthy of protection. I personally don't believe a 6-inch journey down the birth canal is what imparts personhood.
Very good post!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Originally Posted by JetJockey

Always. I have never NOT had unsafe sex. Pregnancy would change my body, and I don't want children period. I will get a tubal as soon as I can, but I haven't yet found a doctor that is willing to perform one on a woman as young as I am.

who are you to try to talk a woman into having a baby? to assume all woman need to breed and have children as her duty to the world? the world depends on it. what a bunch of bull.

women are just like men in that they too get to live their life doing a job that makes them happy. they do not need children to make them happy. it is not about "saying yes, yes, yes to hope and love"
and "no to the hassles and fear. many women don't want children because they are busy living their own life.

wake up out of your male thinking woman is mother earth, women are for more than a breeding machine

Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Old catholic joke:

What do you call people who use the rhythm method? Parents.

You can get pregnant at any time of the month.
Yup. According to the latest report by WHO (PDF here, see page 11), the failure rate is 25%. If you look at the actual numbers of failures attributed to the various methods, you begin to understand the abortion rate. Understanding that these are worldwide figures; obviously the US figures are much smaller. Still, a .5% failure rate for female sterilization? That's one out of every 200 "sterilized" women getting pregnant.

From NIH:

Quote:
Female or male sterilization is the most common contraceptive method utilized by couples in the United States, with 36% of fertile women using contraception employing this method. According to the National Survey of Family Growth (2002), 10.3 million women (27%) rely on female sterilization for birth control, whereas 3.5 million women (9.2%) rely on vasectomy in their partners for contraception. The next most commonly utilized birth control method among American women is oral contraceptive pills, used by 11.7 million or 30.6% of women using contraception.4
Bolding is mine. If one-half of one percent of these women get pregnant even after surgical sterilization, that's 51,500 unintended pregnancies in people who REALLY didn't want to get pregnant - and that is a single-year figure.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Do you own your body?
If so you have the right to "evict" someone living in your body. If you want to claim that a fetus is a person, then I can not be forced to share my body, and use of my organs to keep that person alive. You can't be forced to donate blood to keep a person alive, but you can volunteer to do so. You can not be forced to donate organs to keep a person alive, but you can volunteer to do so.

I can not be forced to keep someone alive, but I can volunteer to do so.

If you seriously want to end abortion, force is not the way. Give these women an option. Not just a card with an adoption agency number. Offer to pay all pregnancy related cost, time off of work, a replacement job if they lose their job, housing expenses if they need, offer to adopt that child and support it for 18+ years.

There are over 300,000 children in the system right now. There were only 150,000 adoptions last year, and that includes private, state, inter family (spouse adopting step child), and international. Putting more children in that system isn't really a good idea.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Being pro life has nothing to do with government. Protecting the right of the child to have life liberty and the pursuit of happiness is a normal goal for all responsible adults. Only barbaric scum would want children to be murdered. Nobody is limiting a person's right to birth control. Murder as birth control is uncivilized.
Ya gotta be born to be murdered.
Duh.

No one much cares about your beliefs.
Live them for yourself and keep out of my life and my life choices, k?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Do I need to scan my college diploma and registry certificate from the American Society of Clinical Pathologists? Shall I forward you my resume? Actually the full title for healthcare workers who do what I do is "Medical Laboratory Scientist," but I used a shortened version.

Did you even notice that in my sentence where I used the term "unborn baby," I was putting forth what I have seen to be the "staunch pro-life side" (and I followed the term "unborn baby" with "fetus or whatever you choose to call it")

And in real life, I do often use the term "unborn baby," for the same reason that my obstetrician let me hear my BABY'S heartbeat while I was pregnant. Have you seriously never known any pregnant women who didn't refer to the contents of her uterus as her "baby"?

I spent a fair amount of time composing a well-thought out, middle-ground post, that I hoped would illicit intelligent responses from both sides. Didn't expect to be accused of faking an entire career.

What was your point?
Nope, don't care.
It wasn't middle ground and I simply don't believe your "credentials".

Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Here is an interesting site documenting the current count of abortions in the US since 1973 Roe Vs Wade.

At the time of posting it is 55,889,722 and appears to be increasing at roughly 1 per minute.

Congratulations, Democrats and other social Libertarians.

Number of Abortions in US & Worldwide - Number of abortions since 1973
You pro life people make me so sick.

Everybody is so concerned about the kid in the "womb", but once it gets here, then everyone is GHOST!

None of you will give that mother money, food, clothes or babysitting time when she asks you, but yet, you want her to bring an unwanted kid into the world that will probably wind up being abused or neglected.

God forbid she goes to the county for welfare and foodstamps, many of you HYPOCRITES will have a major conniption fit behind it.

The same people who are against abortion are probably for hunting and the death penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies