Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times

Advertisements

You can see The March For Life on EWTN if you get that channel. Also you can listen to their radio. That will give updates and talk about the March.

We need to remember this march is to remember the dead precious babies and give them the dignity they deserve. We remember them if society as a whole won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I certainly agree that to look at a zygote is very different than looking at a human (post-birth) infant. But somewhere during 9 months of pregnancy the difference diminishes.

I used to be very strongly pro-life. I've definitely softened, or actually just become more muddied on the issue. I don't call myself "pro-life" or "pro-choice" at this point (and in a way I feel guilty about that, because I do think it is an important issue, but frankly I've been focused on my own life and my own problems and haven't been bothered with involvement on either side for quite a while).

On the one hand, I have more compassion now for a woman in the position of dealing with an unwanted pregnancy. But as a medical scientist, I know that there is no difference, for example, between an 8-month fetus still inside the womb and a baby born prematurely at 8 months gestation.

I've never been a fan of the "my body my choice" argument. For staunch pro-lifers, who absolutely believe that an unborn baby (or fetus or whatever you choose to call it) is every bit as human as any other person, then "my body my choice" type of arguments are as twisted as saying a parent has the right to kill any of their children. They feel there can be no justification for the legal killing of a child. And really, can anyone give compelling reasons that a late term abortion is any different than the murder of a born preemie?

Here's another question to muddy the waters --- let's say an unborn baby is having surgery outside the womb (in other words, the surgeon removes the fetus via C-section for the surgery, then returns the fetus to the womb after the surgery). Was this tiny patient a "human" while outside the womb, but returned to "fetus" status after the surgery?

It's not cut and dried to me. At the very least, I am bothered to know that late term abortion is still legal in some states (actually most states, in various circumstances). In my opinion, somewhere between zygote and viability that "little blob of cells" becomes a human being worthy of protection. I personally don't believe a 6-inch journey down the birth canal is what imparts personhood.
It is true that a misscarried 7 to 8 month old fetus is recognizable as a living being, my Mom misscarried twin boys from my dad prior to conceiving me. It was her fourth misscarriage out of ten pregnancies. My older sister was 9 at the time and my family lived on a dairy farm as the work force. My sister remembers taking out the bucket to be disposed of and saw the twins. We were not rick, or even middle class, we were dirt poor, my mom and step dad were both Catholic, strongly too. Though they could not afford childdren, they kept having them. When her body was too exhausted and her nutrition was poor, it self aborted the fetuses. Five total were self aborted by her body and she admits to my stepdad punching her in the stomach while she was pregnant, he blamed her for getting pregnant with another child he did not want. For all I know, his drinking and his beating my mom enduced a few of those misscarriages and may have caused the sever learning disibilities of my oldest brother and youngest brother. I know that is a bit off the subject, but in my moms case, having fewer children in her life would have been better for her and the fewer children she could have had. My sister was a planned pregnancy, the misscarried twins and myself, everyone else was an accident she would say, but loved us all. My stepdad did not condone birth control and my mom was old fashioned and brainwashed to follow the husbands wish and demands. She really believed she was his property. I could never figure that out.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:22 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then don't have one.
You misinterpreted. I said that it was wrong. I didn't add the qualifier, "for me".

Old 01-25-2013, 02:26 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You misinterpreted. I said that it was wrong. I didn't add the qualifier, "for me".
But you don't get to choose for the rest of us. You can think it's wrong all you want, but the law of the land is still that a woman gets to make her own medical decision on the matter of terminating a pregnancy until her fetus reaches the age of viability. You should keep your long nose out of womens' uteruses until and unless that changes.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:32 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You don't get to choose what is right or wrong for other people. Abortion is legal, so you can say it's wrong all day, but that doesn't change the fact that people can, will, and do have abortions every day.

Unless you are the one facing the decision to abort, you have no say in the matter. What may be wrong for you, may be right for someone else.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 PM

Default Scenes from this years March for Life 2013

2013 March For Life - Still going on! Largest ongoing peaceful protest! - YouTube

Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times
Have you made any plans to help the poor children and parent-less children yet?

Old 01-25-2013, 02:50 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,248 times
Quote:
I certainly agree that to look at a zygote is very different than looking at a human (post-birth) infant. But somewhere during 9 months of pregnancy the difference diminishes.

I used to be very strongly pro-life. I've definitely softened, or actually just become more muddied on the issue. I don't call myself "pro-life" or "pro-choice" at this point (and in a way I feel guilty about that, because I do think it is an important issue, but frankly I've been focused on my own life and my own problems and haven't been bothered with involvement on either side for quite a while).

On the one hand, I have more compassion now for a woman in the position of dealing with an unwanted pregnancy. But as a medical scientist, I know that there is no difference, for example, between an 8-month fetus still inside the womb and a baby born prematurely at 8 months gestation.

I've never been a fan of the "my body my choice" argument. For staunch pro-lifers, who absolutely believe that an unborn baby (or fetus or whatever you choose to call it) is every bit as human as any other person, then "my body my choice" type of arguments are as twisted as saying a parent has the right to kill any of their children. They feel there can be no justification for the legal killing of a child. And really, can anyone give compelling reasons that a late term abortion is any different than the murder of a born preemie?

Here's another question to muddy the waters --- let's say an unborn baby is having surgery outside the womb (in other words, the surgeon removes the fetus via C-section for the surgery, then returns the fetus to the womb after the surgery). Was this tiny patient a "human" while outside the womb, but returned to "fetus" status after the surgery?

It's not cut and dried to me. At the very least, I am bothered to know that late term abortion is still legal in some states (actually most states, in various circumstances). In my opinion, somewhere between zygote and viability that "little blob of cells" becomes a human being worthy of protection. I personally don't believe a 6-inch journey down the birth canal is what imparts personhood.
I don't think you should feel guilty about not calling yourself "pro-life" or "pro-choice." Most who identify in either of those ways don't hold the position 100%. Most choicers reject total choice at some point in a pregnancy. Most lifers accept a few exceptions, usually rape, incest, the physical health of the mother.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:50 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,282 times
Quote:
I'm a woman, so believe me, I don't hate women.
As I responded to another thread on this very same topic by another woman hater, any woman who buys into this rhetoric, are self-hating, and to deny your own gender the opportunity to make a choice in her own life about her own body, wreaks of confidence problems, or that you are liked to be told what to do. Sorry, that's how I feel about it.

Quote:
Again, not trying to set you up, but since you asked someone to look up the definition of "baby," I did do that, and the 5th defintion at Baby | Define Baby at Dictionary.com is "a human fetus."
don't care what dictionary says. I care what the law says. The law defines a baby as being born. A fetus is not a baby.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 PM

Default .PJTV: Happy Anniversary, Unborn Victims of Abortion .

PJTV: Happy Anniversary, Unborn Victims of Abortion - YouTube#!

Published on Jan 25, 2013
Were you creeped out by the pro-choice video that makes abortion look sexy and beautiful? AlfonZo Rachel was, and he brings you this video in response. Hear what Zo thinks of the Center for Reproductive Rights video that wishes Roe v. Wade a happy 40th anniversary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies