U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:57 PM

7,946 posts, read 16,621,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You mean there aren't Circle Ks where you live?
Circle K is a convenience store/gas station, not a grocery store. They are okay if I need a bag of chips or a 2-liter bottle of soda though. Not sure it you are being serious about Circle-K being a grocery store, but the ones I've been in are not. Walgreens and CVS are even a step up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:23 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,349,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I agree, but the fact that they're adamantly non-union might make it worth giving them another look.
I'm sorry, but it's a freaking grocery store. We don't need unions for grocery stores!

Now, high risk occuptations like coal mining? Alright, unions make sense for those types of jobs where the workers are continuously at risk, and they deserve to be well protected and compensated.

But enough is enough with the widespread unionization mentality. We don't need any more uneducated, unskilled, and unmotivated workers making more money than some college graduates out there working in their fields!

Old 01-25-2013, 03:13 PM

9,856 posts, read 14,713,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Do you have a Link for any of those stats?
Yes...the Whole Foods Website

Article Showing Whole Foods to be one of the six best companies in terms of employee benefits

#32 on the list of Fortune's 100 best companies to work for (it has made the top 100 list 16 years in a row).

It also gives health care to any employee who has put in 400 hours total and works 20 hours/week. So you can be a college kid working 20 hours/week and have full health care through Whole Foods.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,143,613 times
Wow, what's going on. On 1/29 and 1/30, Whole Foods had listeria recalls on sockeye salmon and on bagels with cream cheese. Is this about immigrants handling food? Is it about cutting corners for greater profit? From a distance, it hints at a company not to particular about the supply chain.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:02 AM

If nothing else, I did unearth the loyal clientele of Whole Foods. Guess they aren't going broke. BUT I'm steadfast that there are better places to buy anything they sell.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,203,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I have been there and it is pricey but i do notice they carry better quality products... Recall has little to do with "quality" and more with manufacturing problems.... All you have to do is EAT their food and you can tell a difference... But i suspect you are more interested in politics than food quality...
1. A lot of their produce if not most is "conventionally grown" - i.e., not organically grown. Yet you pay more for this produce than you would pay in any regular supermarket. How dumb can shoppers be? Just because this regular produce is displayed in among so-called "organic" doesn't make it any cleaner.

2. Read your labels on the frozen foods. I saw a label on frozen corn that said it was from China.

3. Whole Foods, baloney. Outside of the meats, dairy and produce, nearly all the foods in the other aisles are processed foods. Processed means that these foods are made from flour products, sugars, oils, etc. These are NOT whole foods. Processed foods cause body inflammation in any language.

4. Several generations ago "whole foods" meant kill the chicken and eat the entire thing, gizzards and all. It meant churn the butter and make the cheese yourself. It meant grow your own produce, not eat tomatoes and kiwis in the depths of a northern winter. It meant grind your own fresh flour for bread, and I don't believe candies and crackers and cream cookies, etc. were "whole foods."

5. Watch out for "gluten-free." Many of these products, esp frozen breads and packaged cookies, have added sugars, which many cardiologists say causes more inflammation than fats.

6. READ LABELS, esp in Whole Foods and Trader Joes. Once again, Americans are being sold a bill of goods. Not even so much for $ cost, but for health.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,203,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Whole Foods treats their employees exceptionally well - probably better than any major supermarket chain in the US. The CEO is not anti-worker at all. Apparently you think though because he is anti-union he is anti-worker. Whole Foods has been on Fortune's "best companies to work for" list since 1998.

Benefits for US Team Members | Whole Foods Market
Several years ago I ran into two women I recognized from somewhere. As they approached, I recognized both (over the age of 50) as employees from WF's, who had been there since our local WF opening some years before. These two were virtual fixtures in the store, they were always stocking the aisles and assisting customers (both in the supplements dept, a very busy place). They were both always extremely attentive and helpful to me, and since I shopped there often, I can say that I never observed them standing idle or chatting (as I've observed other WF employees do). They worked pretty hard for their age, and then some.

I jokingly asked them "how's it going at old Whole Paycheck" but got a somber glance back from each. Turns out they had both just been fired. Reason, that they told they were not working hard enough. I thought to myself "BS." It was apparent to me their age, and that they were probably at a higher pay level having been there for so many years. Just like in any corporate workplace, no matter how good you are, you are let go when the pay scale approaches higher levels. These smarmy corporations want to keep bringing in new employees from the bottom, paying them the lowest wage possible, figuring they can do the job as well as any veteran employee. BTW, they also blocked these two from getting unemployment benefits.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 AM

4,279 posts, read 4,987,763 times
I rarely go there anymore due to the inflated costs. They sell hype more than anything else.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,130,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Yes...the Whole Foods Website

Article Showing Whole Foods to be one of the six best companies in terms of employee benefits

#32 on the list of Fortune's 100 best companies to work for (it has made the top 100 list 16 years in a row).

It also gives health care to any employee who has put in 400 hours total and works 20 hours/week. So you can be a college kid working 20 hours/week and have full health care through Whole Foods.

Wegman's Food markets is number 4 on that Fortune"s 100 best companies to work for list. Makes me wonder what all they do for their employees.

Whatever it is, it's working. Wegman's is the best grocery store I've ever been in. You can tell that the employees give a **** about customer service...

Old 02-10-2013, 11:52 AM

If you want to support agriculture that gets toxins out of the American diet, go to places that have that rather than pleasing stockholders as the goal. I shop where the stockholders are the shoppers. They know that toxins in the food is not going to please us. The prices aren't Walmart low, but Walmart, so far as I know, doesn't really mind selling you food with toxins. You want the price? Eat toxic! Just figure when you get that low price, it comes from corner-cutting in production. Chances are fairly good you're paying the difference in your medical costs. In essence, you're betting that your food savings outweigh any resulting illnesses. In a free market, that option has to be available. At least Walmart is pretty candid that they don't lead the "whole foods" parade. They don't go out of their way to educate you on the risks, but that is your business anyway. If a consumer is too lazy to be informed, they can't blame someone else if they get some cancer or gastric illness or any other illness that is the result of longterm consumption of toxins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies