Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
The comment was why welcome those that don't belong? I could only hope that ignorant comment was to Be a joke.
So it would be ignorant not to welcome illegal immigrants to our country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
More small government Conservatives who think the government should tell people what language to speak...
You're really clueless, aren't you? Making English our official language does not prevent anyone from speaking another language. I can't believe it when people write this drivel. WTH does conservatism or small governent have to do with having an official language?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,207,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why should we welcome people that don't belong here? Its time to make English the National official language.
So what will be different in this county now that this law is passed. Give me some specific concrete examples of new procedures. If you can't think of one than the law is a waste of tax payers money.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:06 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,663,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
So what will be different in this county now that this law is passed. Give me some specific concrete examples of new procedures. If you can't think of one than the law is a waste of tax payers money.
For one Government business will be conducted in English. Things will be more cost effective.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
It decreases the expense of having to print all kinds of governement documents in multiple languages for one thing. We won't have to hire bi-lingual employees everywhere in government jobs. Until they learn English they can bring an interpreter with them at their own expense.

English is a part of our culture and heritage. Why should it not become "official"? It also encourages immigrants to assimilate to our language. How is making it official a waste of the taxpayers money? For waste see my first sentence.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,778,885 times
Quote:
No need to print notices/circulars/forms in multiple languages. Instead of printing one notice/circular/form 5 times to accomodate 2 to 5 different languages, there will be one form. What's wrong with one-size-fits-all? Eliminate the need for translators (court, MV and the like)

Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
For one Government business will be conducted in English. Things will be more cost effective.
So government in this Md. County was not being conducted in English before this law passed?? Do you have any proof???

Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,663,903 times
Quote:
So government in this Md. County was not being conducted in English before this law passed?? Do you have any proof???
Why are you upset because a law was pass to conduct business in English?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
More small government Conservatives who think the government should tell people what language to speak...

If you want to come here, do as our ancestors did. LEGALLY apply for citizenship, learn to assimilate, and LEARN THE DAMN LANGUAGE!!! Nobody is telling you that you can't speak your native tongue in private. But if you're going to do business here, and you're going to take advantage of this society, then English should be the official US language. If I moved to another country, I wouldn't expect them to cater to me, and demand that things be in English. I'd be expected to learn their language, and assimilate.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Why are you upset because a law was pass to conduct business in English?
Why are you upset because I'm asking you for proof? I asked a simple question with proof and you can't seem to furnish it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies