Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Adverse possession requires 7 years. He has been there for 18 months. So, he has 5 1/2 more years of squatting before he has a chance at a claim.

Does he never leave the house? Seems like the owner (bank?) of the property would want to take steps to get him kicked out and arrested.

Also, has he been paying property taxes? If not, perhaps the city has a claim to the property and could evict him.

Reminds me of the story of the Colorado couple who took a job in Indiana then came home to find squatters living in their home. And to make it worse, the law seemed to be on the side of the squatters!

One more case to shoot, shovel and shut up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 09:06 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I think that is the key to this story: since the house had been foreclosed on by a bank, the bank is the owner, and has not yet done anything (foolish of them).

Apparently, when the police were called, by neighbors, there was nothing the police could do. The call was not made by the property owner and the neighbors had no standing to complain of trespass on someone else's land. The squatter had apparently followed the (to me) odd Florida law about posting his 'intent to squat'.

I guess the squatter has arranged for electric and other utilities. I do wonder about the property taxes, although it is likely the bank has thus far paid them (indeed, the bank may be paying the utilities, since it is a high dollar place).

I imagine that the bank will move pretty quickly on this, since it is making news.

I have no idea whether the squatter is illegally in this country. I would hope that they checked this guy out. Since said squatter filed his notice to enter into adverse possession, I assume that he felt secure in his residency status.
This ^^^ You can't call the police and force someone out of a house that you don't own. The bank could do it, but not the neighbors.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
If he's trespassing can't they just shoot him? The owners, I mean.

It's a foreclosed home, the bank owns it. The guy is living there with the bank's knowledge.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:11 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Also, has he been paying property taxes? If not, perhaps the city has a claim to the property and could evict him.
Why would he do that? That's the duty of the owner, not him.

Maybe if he's been flashing adverse-possession papers around, the city could make a case that SINCE he claims (or pretends) adverse possession, then he must pay the property taxes to establish ownership. Or something. I don't know the law in Florida. And maybe if the cops can prove he hasn't been paying property taxes, then he's NOT the owner no matter what papers he has, and they can kick him out.

BTW, it doesn't particularly take guts to do what he's doing. What has he got to lose? They boot him out, and he's no worse off than when he started. Why not give it a try?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
It's a foreclosed home, the bank owns it. The guy is living there with the bank's knowledge.
Sooo, technically the Owner of the bank can just go in an shoot him right?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 AM

I love this board. You have a homeless guy living in a foreclosed home, and there's no indication that he's a physical threat to anyone--he's just where he shouldn't be. The response here over and over? "Why don't they just shoot him?" I think some of you need to move to a place like Rwanda where you can do that, and then hang the body from a light pole as a warning to others. Good grief--the bank just has to work with the police and they'll calmly and quietly move him out. A good chunk of you have the common sense of a flea. Why do the sane thing when you can kill somebody instead?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I love this board. You have a homeless guy living in a foreclosed home, and there's no indication that he's a physical threat to anyone--he's just where he shouldn't be. The response here over and over? "Why don't they just shoot him?" I think some of you need to move to a place like Rwanda where you can do that, and then hang the body from a light pole as a warning to others. Good grief--the bank just has to work with the police and they'll calmly and quietly move him out. A good chunk of you have the common sense of a flea. Why do the sane thing when you can kill somebody instead?
Good point, they might be able to just pour gas on it and light it.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
I look at it this way....

if the guy is keeping up the property and isn't disturbing anyone, then why should I care? If he's terrorizing the neighborhood, then that's different.

I'd rather a squatter be there if he's keeping up the place rather than let it sit there looking like hell. That's a big ass home that sits on a lot of property I'm sure. It can fall into disrepair very quickly. Obviously the bank doesn't seem to care much.

Hell, maybe the neighbors should pay the guy for the upkeep if anything. If he wasn't there, they'd have to pay someone to do it if the bank is negligible.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Good point, they might be able to just pour gas on it and light it.
Light what? The body some of you want to shoot and hang from a light pole, or the house? All the bank has to do is go to the police (or worst case scenario court, but I find that highly unlikely) and they can resolve this easily. Then he's gone. No biggie.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
i wasn't being serious for the record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies