Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times

Advertisements

Do Pro-Lifers ever think about what the US would be like if all these poor and unloved fetuses became people?? [greatly increased poverty rates, tax rates, unemployment rates, suicides, pollution, national debt, homelessness, hopelessness, etal.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
The question isn't when life begins, it's when human life beings

A fertizlied egg is not a human
Do you think that the fertilized human egg will somehow morph into a Klingon?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Do you think that the fertilized human egg will somehow morph into a Klingon?
Roughly three out of four times it either fails to implant or spontaneously aborts. So whatever you want to call it, most of the time it does not morph into a human.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Everyone knows full well what it is...and if not the DNA which is present at conception will explain things...
There is DNA present in every skin cell. And you shed millions of those on a daily basis.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
When a human heart quits beating, a person is declared dead.
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11
One might suppose that when a human hearts starts beating, there is life.
There's life even before a heart starts beating. But that's not the question.

The question is whether or not there is a human being.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
No matter which side of the abortion issue one is on, I don't see how anyone could believe that statement.

If you want to say "having sex is not consenting to become a mother," ok, that would be a valid opinion.

But if a womn chooses to have sex, she needs to acknowledge that SHE MAY BECOME PREGNANT. The consent is implicit in the act. This cannot be stressed enough in any sex ed class.

What a person chooses to do after pregnancy occurs is the point being debated in this thread.
She MAY become pregnant, but she isn't consenting to become pregnant. When I drive, I am not consenting to get in an accident, it MAY happen though.

Yes pregnancy is a risk of some sexual activity, but we need to work on limiting that risk, and give the woman the option to deal with the outcome if she becomes pregnant.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
I've always looked at abortion as more of a life and ethics issue than a religious one. If you believe a baby isn't a human until the umbilical cord is cut, then yes I can see why you believe there isn't anything wrong with abortion. If you believe human life starts any time before that, then if you don't question whether or not there should be at least some limits on abortion or types of abortion, then you truly do not value life.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Do Pro-Lifers ever think about what the US would be like if all these poor and unloved fetuses became people?? [greatly increased poverty rates, tax rates, unemployment rates, suicides, pollution, national debt, homelessness, hopelessness, etal.]
I'm not pro-life, but I've never cared for this particular position.

If you're saying that we should somehow be thankful that we didn't have these additional 55 million humans in our country, that they would have been nothing but a burden on our society, then by extending that line of thinking, it should be appealing to rid society of young children who live in poverty, of adults who are unemployed or homeless, etc by killing them off.

Just don't like where that kind of thinking leads.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I've always looked at abortion as more of a life and ethics issue than a religious one. If you believe a baby isn't a human until the umbilical cord is cut, then yes I can see why you believe there isn't anything wrong with abortion. If you believe human life starts any time before that, then if you don't question whether or not there should be at least some limits on abortion or types of abortion, then you truly do not value life.
That is exactly the crux of this issue ---- WHEN is this entity a human life worthy of protection under the law?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
She MAY become pregnant, but she isn't consenting to become pregnant. When I drive, I am not consenting to get in an accident, it MAY happen though.

Yes pregnancy is a risk of some sexual activity, but we need to work on limiting that risk, and give the woman the option to deal with the outcome if she becomes pregnant.
I absolutely agree with you regarding limiting the risk, and in having safe options available.

And perhaps the word "consent" is irrelevant and never should have been used. I was just answering another post, by trying to stress that young women need to know absolutely that pregnancy is a very likely outcome at some point, even if using condoms, or if not being 100% diligent in taking bc pill. I think teens assume pregnancy won't happen, when in reality it is quite likely to happen. That's all I was trying to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies