Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 12:29 PM

23,450 posts, read 23,792,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Being prepared is different than being afraid.
This bears repeating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 12:30 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,889,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Sorry Charlie, I do not feel safer with an armed man nearby, quite the opposite. If they are not a uniformed professional, I think they are fearful people, possibly unbalanced.
Jesus H. Christ we have some stupid folks walking among us.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:45 PM

1,187 posts, read 991,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Well right now it's against the law for physicians to even ask patients if they own a gun, so we're a loooong way from any sort of medical screening for gun ownership. Any real comprehensive screening would be enormously expensive.
Actually, no it's not. Obama even specifically told physicians they are NOT prohibited from asking! I personally would be pissed off if my doctor asked me if I owned guns and would never go back to that doctor again. I was also perplexed and offended when the urgent care I went to for BREATHING problems asked me if I "felt threatened or abused". WTH?? I was there because I was having an asthma attack, not for a broken bone or bruises!

Old 04-11-2013, 06:49 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,603,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Actually, no it's not. Obama even specifically told physicians they are NOT prohibited from asking! I personally would be pissed off if my doctor asked me if I owned guns and would never go back to that doctor again. I was also perplexed and offended when the urgent care I went to for BREATHING problems asked me if I "felt threatened or abused". WTH?? I was there because I was having an asthma attack, not for a broken bone or bruises!
Why get so offended? It's not different than a doctor asking if you smoke. Maybe you can manage to withstand the suffering of having that question asked of you, knowing that if your doctor asks all his patients some lives may be saved.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) encourages physicians to ask patients if they own firearms — in the name of protecting child safety.

President Obama did say that doctors are not prohibited from asking about gun ownership and gun safety in the home, but they are not allowed to keep a written record of which patients own guns.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,234,274 times
Quote:
Well right now it's against the law for physicians to even ask patients if they own a gun, so we're a loooong way from any sort of medical screening for gun ownership. Any real comprehensive screening would be enormously expensive.
Quote:
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) encourages physicians to ask patients if they own firearms — in the name of protecting child safety.
So then did you learn the information in the second post, after the first post? Meaning you were mistaken. Or was this a mistake? Or has the AAP been encouraging their practitioners to break the law? Because I'm pretty sure that the law hasn't changed since yesterday...

Old 04-11-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Way to misrepresent what I said.

No, I'm not fearful, that's why I don't feel compelled to own or carry a gun. I don't have this paranoid fear of intruders in the middle of the night, and home invasions, or the delusional fantasy that I'm going to need to defend myself with a gun against a tyrannical government in this day and age---that so many of you gun-owners have.
No, you have a much worse fear of an inanimate object! Or, are you really afraid of the person? I think you're afraid of people, like the other poster said... because I think that's what you're afraid of and just are blaming the gun. You shouldn't be afraid of the person or the gun, but you should figure out what you're really afraid of and deal with that fear. It's not rational or logical, but few phobias are.

I personally don't carry, but just because I haven't found a comfortable way to carry a gun. I'm a woman, and I don't care for the under the bra holsters, and I don't usually wear clothes with pockets big enough for even my smallest cc .380. So it's a cunnundrum for me. I want to carry, but I don't want to be poked by the gun at the same time. I live in NV so open and conceal carry are both legal here. I've seen a few open carried guns and if I weren't shy, I'd go up to the person and talk to them about it. I always feel safer when I see someone with a gun around because I know there is someone who is capable of dealing with whatever situation that might arise. Just like when my SO carries, I feel a little safer because I know that should anything happen, he is prepared. I would prefer having a gun on my own person so I don't have to rely on someone ELSE taking care of me. I am not too fond of the "damsel in distress" feeling, and prefer to take care of myself.

I do not go around the world thinking that someone is constantly trying to hurt me, however, even YOU have stated in other threads the extreme likelihood of a woman being attacked. So as far as I am concerned, it is in my own best interest to be able to defend and protect myself and my children should that ever occur. Just like knowing how to handle all situations in a car (i.e. knowing which way to turn the steering wheel if you go into a spin, what to do if your breaks fail, etc), knowing how to protect myself and my family should someone TRY to hurt us, is extremely important and not paranoid or delusional at all. It's realistic. More women every day are buying and carrying guns for just this reason... more women should! Maybe if more women were armed men would think twice about raping them!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Why get so offended? It's not different than a doctor asking if you smoke. Maybe you can manage to withstand the suffering of having that question asked of you, knowing that if your doctor asks all his patients some lives may be saved.

President Obama did say that doctors are not prohibited from asking about gun ownership and gun safety in the home, but they are not allowed to keep a written record of which patients own guns.
I was offended because it PRESUMES who I am and what my situation is every time I go into the doctor. It also presumes that I need protection from something and don' t know how to protect myself. If was there because of a broken bone or a gun shot, then the question would make sense. It does NOT make sense when I went in for BREATHING problems! And yes, I get upset whenever they ask if I smoke, but that does go towards overall health. GUN ownership does NOT say anything about safety OR health! And I would do everything in my power to put that doctor out of business if they asked me or my children about firearms in the house. And being in NV there are PLENTY Of families with guns, who would be pissed off as well and never go to that doctor. So it would be easy to hurt the doctor financially should they choose to invade our privacy. Yes PRIVACY, I know that that is something the left doesn't like, unless it has to do with sex, but it does apply to the rest of our lives as well!

I'd be pissed if they asked how many TV's I owned, or how many computers as well. It's none of their business and has no bearing on mine or my children's health what so ever!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,452,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochuck View Post
With over 8 million active concealed carry licences in the U.S. do you think that you never are around guns? As you navigate your daily life, when you are at the grocery store, when you go to K-mart, while you are waiting to get your haircut, when you are at your kids soccer game, chances are that often you are in close proximity to a handgun. I often think when I look at people, which ones would have a problem with me sitting 4ft from them if they new I was carrying, and which ones would feel safer knowing there is an armed and trained person near them.
My point is this ... this all happens everyday, without incident. We are bound by law to keep it concealed and never pull it out unless an aggravated felony is occuring to us, or those around us.
We have chosen to make personal safety our responsibility.
We are your friends.
While I understand where you're coming from, there's something wrong with the idea that you feel the need to carry a concealed weapon to keep yourself safe in the first place. It says a lot about our society...that we're more savage than we'd like to admit. It's sad.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,770,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
While I understand where you're coming from, there's something wrong with the idea that you feel the need to carry a concealed weapon to keep yourself safe in the first place. It says a lot about our society...that we're more savage than we'd like to admit. It's sad.
Welcome to reality. Even if guns were never invented, people would still attack each other. A gun is the only thing that give a 100 pound woman a chance against a 250 pound man.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:24 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,893,269 times
" while you are waiting to get your haircut,..."

My regular barber has a Concealed Carry Permit. It doesn't bother me a bit.
My son is a deputy sheriff. He used to bring his .45 out frequently, and we would shoot targets in the back yard.
He just got back from Afghanistan, so he will be out soon to get sharpened up before going back to work. It has been a year since he has been able to shoot HIS gun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies