Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:03 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
New snowfall brings a new bout of disciplinary action at Boulder High as snowballs fly in courtyard | The Owl

This is the road of tyranny that we are going down if we don't take a stand now.
Quote:
While the safety concern is obviously the first priority for the school, the ban on snowball fights does seem a bit harsh to some. It is understandable that students not involved in the fight could potentially get hurt;
Maybe students should stage a walk out in protest of school policies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 04:23 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Every law ever made, is a restriction on personal liberties and freedom.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:30 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Do bystanders get dragged onto the field and tackled during football games?
I have seen a n umber of bystanders get hurt when someone gets tackled through the sidelines. Of course they blam the people for being too close then.

It's a freaking snowball. Get a grip.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:55 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Maybe students should stage a walk out in protest of school policies?
They could always stage a mass snowball fight.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:57 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Whoever thinks nerf balls are comparable to snow balls has never been hit with a proper snow ball. As you are in CA, you might not know the old trick of making a snowball, taking off your gloves so that your body heat causes it to melt a bit then refreeze a into more an ice ball and throwing it. Getting hit with one of those is more like getting hit with a tennis ball and this kind of ball can easily break a window.
We get plenty of snow in California - and I am well aware of how to make a snowball - thank you very much.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:17 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
We get plenty of snow in California - and I am well aware of how to make a snowball - thank you very much.
In LA? Isn't that kind of like Hell freezing over?

Old 01-26-2013, 07:47 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Simply consider tossing a snowball as a physics experiment, not a fight.

The intent would be to toss compressed snow of differing water content as close as possible to a moving target without actually hitting it. This exercise would improve hand eye coordination, arm strength and perhaps even first aid. Of course no more than 7 snowballs could be prepared at one time.
Art students would then reproduce spatter patterns as an example of abstract art. A win win for all!

It goes without saying, all participants would be required to be tested for steeroids and blood doping.

Problem solved.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
New snowfall brings a new bout of disciplinary action at Boulder High as snowballs fly in courtyard | The Owl

This is the road of tyranny that we are going down if we don't take a stand now.
Slow liberal-bashing day, Harrier? This is a three month old article, and we haven't had snow here since Christmas Eve.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Quote:
Whoever thinks nerf balls are comparable to snow balls has never been hit with a proper snow ball. As you are in CA, you might not know the old trick of making a snowball, taking off your gloves so that your body heat causes it to melt a bit then refreeze a into more an ice ball and throwing it. Getting hit with one of those is more like getting hit with a tennis ball and this kind of ball can easily break a window.

That's for sure! My retirement gig is driving school bus. I was sitting at the high school one afternoon loading students for the take-home and.....BOOM, the driver's side window shatters and glass flys everywhere.

As a result, 60+ kids had to wait until another bus could be sent, the school system had to pay for a bus window and a hospital visit for me to get the glass out of my left eye. I honestly don't know if throwing snowballs is prohibited at the school, but if it isn't, it should be!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
I have heard of high school football players being killed during games or practice, but never heard of anyone dying in a snowball fight.

Seems like the school has it's priorities skewed.
Just because YOU personally never heard of anyone getting killed in a snowball fight, that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Talk to a few ER docs, and not in sunny California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
My school set offenders to work shoveling snow off the walkways. There is something about working while your classmates walk by (offering helpful advice and encouraging remarks) that really makes for an effective deterrent
Quote:
Are you opposed to constructive criticism?
What the h*ll are you talking about Harrier? I think that's a great punishment.

Quote:
There's also the issue of making a snowball around a rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
In LA? Isn't that kind of like Hell freezing over?
I really, really wish I could rep you for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies