Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 02:29 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Especially when the premise itself is wrong and stupid. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is making fun of anyone for preparing for a realistic disaster. I said this in an earlier post--I live in tornado and blizzard country, and we always have emergency supplies ready to go, because being without power for a week or more is a real possibility.

It's "the entire economy is going to collapse, and starving black people are going to attack my home in mass for my food, so I need to band together with my friends at a survivalist camp just like a bad episode of the Walking Dead if I'm going to make it" crap that brings on the ridicule. Either that or they're sure they're going to have to fight their way out of attempts to be herded into a FEMA camp, or that the black helicopters are out to get them, or that the world is going to end from a shifting of the poles so their stash of MRE's and an inflatable boat are going to save them.

That kind of fear and paranoia isn't based on any kind of fact or reality. It defies any kind of common sense. Hence, the ridicule.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I've noticed that anytime anyone here talks about preparedness for things like natural disasters, civil unrest, gov. instability, etc etc etc there are quite a few of you on the left who instantly mock or insult those of us who prepare for various types of situations that might otherwise put us in danger or a desperate situation. I don't want to dive into different types of preparedness because that will just end up as a pro-gun/anti-gun troll fest. Let's please just keep this at a high level when speaking of preparedness which would encompass anything from storing drinking water and canned food all the way up to people buying stockpiles of freeze dried or dehydrated food and even people who keep weapons of any kind to defend against whatever/whoever might try to cause them harm.

Am I just reading some of you wrong or do you really believe that being prepared is something that should be mocked or do you only do this because the people you mock just happen to be to the right of the political isle?

Overall I guess I'm just curious as to why a lot of liberals seem to have a dislike of people who prepare for potential negative events.
I lived in Miami and people there waited to the last minute when a hurricane was sure headed our way to prepare for it.

You're right. I don't wear tin foil hats, and I don't prepare for everything that could possibly happen in a human life. Anyone who does that, is either absolutely NUTS and needs to be committed, or is soon going to be.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Because hating someone is easier to a liberal than understanding them. Its easier to call someone a racist then to listen to why they disagree with a policy of the president.

Basically name calling and attacking is easier for them then discussion. Hate is easy that why
Perhaps you could give some actual examples of "liberals mock(ing) or insult(ing) people who prepare for the unknown". As I said, I know what we have. We also have flashlights, a fireplace and wood for it, a kerosene heater (would need some fuel for it), and other "survival" type equipment. We have camping experience. We'd survive. We also have the sense to leave if we were told to evacuate, as with the wildfires this summer.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:56 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
I don't respect conspiracy theorists who think the world is somehow going to go to sh** or that government forces are going to come any day now to rob them of their guns. I'm a skeptic in general and people really seem to find an inner hunger satiated when they get into this cult/dogma mentality. It disgusts me.

I shouldn't say anyone who does survivalist preparations like this is stupid, but if you're stockpiling food because some pastor told you to, or guns to fight off the next zombie apocalypse or Obama's impending totalitarian reign, you are not a healthy individual and probably ought to get some help.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 PM

215 posts, read 182,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I lived in Miami and people there waited to the last minute when a hurricane was sure headed our way to prepare for it.

You're right. I don't wear tin foil hats, and I don't prepare for everything that could possibly happen in a human life. Anyone who does that, is either absolutely NUTS and needs to be committed, or is soon going to be.
Preparing for a severe terrorist attack or severe natural disaster is now someone who either needs to be committed or is soon going to be to you I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I don't respect conspiracy theorists who think the world is somehow going to go to sh** or that government forces are going to come any day now to rob them of their guns. I'm a skeptic in general and people really seem to find an inner hunger satiated when they get into this cult/dogma mentality. It disgusts me.

I shouldn't say anyone who does survivalist preparations like this is stupid, but if you're stockpiling food because some pastor told you to, or guns to fight off the next zombie apocalypse or Obama's impending totalitarian reign, you are not a healthy individual and probably ought to get some help.
Says the guy who lives in the murder capital of America. Most likely sitting in your cozy gated community posting this stuff.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post

Great post.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Perhaps you could give some actual examples of "liberals mock(ing) or insult(ing) people who prepare for the unknown". As I said, I know what we have. We also have flashlights, a fireplace and wood for it, a kerosene heater (would need some fuel for it), and other "survival" type equipment. We have camping experience. We'd survive. We also have the sense to leave if we were told to evacuate, as with the wildfires this summer.
He can't--that's the problem. So much of disaster preparedness out here is common sense, because we generally lose power for awhile at least a couple of times a year. Farmhouses generally heat with propane, so you make sure you have a gas stove (you can light the stove top with a match) and a gas hot water heater. You make sure you have a wood stove, on top of your forced air furnace, for heat. You can use the generator to run the well pump when you need water, plus keep the refrigerators and freezers going in spurts so that things don't spoil. If it's super cold, you don't even need to do that--you can move frozen things to coolers outside. It's common sense, matter of fact, and you don't obsess over it. Who would make fun of anyone for that? Do I stock up on a year's worth of MRE's? No.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
He can't--that's the problem. So much of disaster preparedness out here is common sense, because we generally lose power for awhile at least a couple of times a year. Farmhouses generally heat with propane, so you make sure you have a gas stove (you can light the stove top with a match) and a gas hot water heater. You make sure you have a wood stove, on top of your forced air furnace, for heat. You can use the generator to run the well pump when you need water, plus keep the refrigerators and freezers going in spurts so that things don't spoil. If it's super cold, you don't even need to do that--you can move frozen things to coolers outside. It's common sense, matter of fact, and you don't obsess over it. Who would make fun of anyone for that? Do I stock up on a year's worth of MRE's? No.
Like those nutjobs (I think they're into calling themselves patriots lol) that live out in the country waiting for civil war to break out, stocked up on cans of food and with an arsenal of guns and ammo. They've been doing that since the 70s (maybe before). Buncha mentally ill wackos.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Like those nutjobs (I think they're into calling themselves patriots lol) that live out in the country waiting for civil war to break out, stocked up on cans of food and with an arsenal of guns and ammo. They've been doing that since the 70s (maybe before). Buncha mentally ill wackos.
I think those "patriots" are few and far between, probably about as common as those people you see on the A&E show, "Hoarders".

Most people value the peace-of-mind they get when they know they have enough supplies to last their families through any emergency.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
I think those "patriots" are few and far between, probably about as common as those people you see on the A&E show, "Hoarders".

Most people value the peace-of-mind they get when they know they have enough supplies to last their families through any emergency.
I think so too. You brought up a very good point! Maybe those "patriots" are also in fact hoarders. Hoarders are people who feel tremendous fear, and terror of being without "stuff" crowding their homes. They feel comforted hoarding. That's not such a long stretch from the people who are expressing terror that "something might happen."

Thank you for pointing this out. I hadn't even made a connection. You might have hit on something big here, seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies