Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
17 yo kids at McDonald's make 17 bucks an hour in SF? Wtf?!
In Bozeman Montana (in 2004) I saw help wanted signs for making $10 an hour (to start!)

There it was about supply and demand.
Too few slack jawed, dim, droopy drawer wearing prospects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 01:09 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
I would say New Orleans is one of the least fascist. It's pretty much a big party city. You can get alcohol basically 24/7 in that city.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I think where the op is suggesting is the varying degree of police state control policies differing from city to city. The centralized authoritarian police state control exists in not only fascism but also in communism. We as a country should not strive for neither. In North Korea under Communism without capitalism (democracy) you have no rights. In the former Soviet Union cities you had no rights. Under Facism in former Nazi Germany you have no rights. A police state would be required to enforce those ideologies. America is a capitalistic democracy protected under the US Constitution which so we don't end up like those countries. I believe in the rule of law but within the boundaries of the US Constitution to keep it in check.

Thank you. I actually started the thread by explaining I mean the tongue-and-cheek meaning of Fascist and not literally people who want to invade Ethiopia

Old 01-27-2013, 02:03 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,488 times
Beat this:

In many cities in the south you cant buy alcohol on Sunday

Old 01-27-2013, 02:04 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I heard silly string was recently banned in NYC haha oh the humanity!

But yeah it sounds like a toss up between NYC, SF or DC.

I couldn't find anything on silly string, but I did find this...bake sales are banned in NYC schools citing "public health concerns":

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/03/ny...3bakesale.html

Meanwhile in Seattle you can have a school bake sale...complete with special brownies

Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 AM

217 posts, read 360,752 times
Utah state liqueur control board has LDS members. Making rules on something they don't do, is that fascism? Most of Utah also hates contraband drugs and violently enforces the law.

Irvine, CA is a "don't step out of line" (like paint your house green) city that is surprisingly acceptable to live in. The good weather, excellent economy of high-tech businesses, and an absence of housing for riffraff make the 100k+ pop. city one of the lowest crime in the nation with very little police presence (to the law biding, at least).

Pahrump, NV has prostitutes, land, and like 10 years ago no building codes (Home of Coast to Coast AM so you know anything goes).

Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Okay, I put "fascist" in quotes because yes, I know it is a political movement, but you get the ideal. When I say "fascist" I mean the most absurd rules, awful regulations and all around "smile-too-much-and-we-will-throw-you-in-jail-for-breaking-penal-code17830212" kind of city vs the "it's your thing, do whatcha wanna do" kind of city. What cities in America have the most AWFUL AND DOWNRIGHT FASCIST rules and which ones are "meh, whatever," kind of places?

I would say the Police State awards would be a toss up between NYC and San Fransisco. In San Fransisco they have awful gun laws, they are a "living wage zone" which means even the kid at McDonald's has to get like seventeen dollars and hour (so small mom and pop businesses suffer) and they banned kid's menus at fast food restaurants. They also require everyone selling anything second hand to have a permit, although that is only selectively enforced.

One good thing about SF's laws is that they finally banned public nudity... Sorry, but as a rule the people who love to walk around naked are exclusively the people you DON'T WANT TO SEE NAKED.

As for NYC, they too have draconian gun laws, bans on just about everything, and recently outlawed large sodas They have all these "quality of life" rules and they are pushed harder by "neighborhood organizations" that make everything resembling fun illegal. That, and they have those stupid "cabaret laws" that Benito Giuliani decided to start enforcing after like sixty years of them being ignored. The result is this:
What Killed The Nightlife? - New York - News - La Daily Musto

For the least Fascist cities, I would have to say it's either Seattle or Las Vegas. A friend of mine looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him what kind of ordinances were on housing in Vegas. He asked "so, people can tell you what to do with your own house?" And they have lenient gun laws and the police are so busy, if you don't bother anyone nobody cares.

And Seattle...lenient gun laws, no weird "quality of life laws" and you can generally walk around in stilts while singing show tunes along the curb and no one will say anything (in NYC you'll get a ticket for wearing non-designer stilts and singing while not being fabulous enough) We have a smoking ban but that's about it...and cannabis is legal.

So in Seattle, you can legally carry a large joint while in NYC, you can't legally carry a large Pepsi
I think it's interesting the two cities you noted are both considered liberal - the 'police state' NY and the 'laid back' Seattle.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
Houston has no zoning but them HOA's are about the closest thing to fascist government in America.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
You do realize no one is going to ticket or arrest you if you are drinking large soda or 2liter in nyc.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:58 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
When I was in Berkeley I pulled out a cig from my pack, did not light it, and was just walking with it. We were getting near my friends car and I wanted a cig for the road. The lighter was in the car too.

Some Asian lady in a yellow 'official' looking shirt, with a ticket book, and a badge (not police or fire), jumped out of seemingly no-where.

She was like "Don't light it, Don't light it, Don't light", as she jumped in front of me and blocked my path on the sidewalk.

I told her, it is not lit, so get the **** out of my face, and I pushed her smack dab in her chest. She tumbled back like 5 feet and immediately went for her Iphone(to call 911). I hopped on my skateboard and jetted outta there.

My vote goes to Berkeley. Never had anything crazy like that happen to me here in Chicago, where cops get pretty crazy sometimes as it is.
You feel good about assaulting a woman who was just doing their job?

Just walk away.....there's never a need for assault unless physically threatened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies