Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 12:42 PM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You need an AR15 for self defense?

What is the difference between using an AR vs any other type of semi auto rifle or shotgun for self defense ? Just curious....

Or any other semi auto firearm, for that matter. Why the angst towards the AR ?

Last edited by scarabchuck; 08-02-2016 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 12:44 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,055 times
The State should never be more armed than the people. That is a recipe for slavery.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:58 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You need an AR15 for self defense?
It's not called The Bill of "Needs".

Old 08-02-2016, 12:59 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Marksmanship is a perishable skill that must be practiced regularly or your skill will seriously diminish.

I'm a sponsored and ranked USPSA and IDPA competition shooter and I shoot about 15000 rounds per year. Thats common for top pistol shooters. If I didn't shoot that much, I wouldn't be nearly as competitive as I am.
Truth. At the peak of my competition time, I was going through , at least 3_5 hundred rounds , 4days a week, just in practice. My son and I are Steel, pin, and ICORE shooters, with a bit of bullseye and IPSC/USPSA thrown in here and there. I don't practice that much any more, and haven't seriously competed in a coupleyears now, but I still do practice enough to stay fresh.

Lol, nowI get regularly edged by people I trained back in the day, my son among them,. That makes me smile. Still, I have full confidence in my ability to stand and deliver, should the need arise. My 1911 is still a.trusted friend, and fills my hand quite properly. I still carry it as my primary, the same gun I've used in competition for over 20 years,. It's not overly modified, though the requisite ergos and accuracy aids have been done. Trigger, adjustable sights, and such.

As you say, if you're going to own a firearm for self defense, it's prerequisite that you be practiced and proficient with it. Otherwise, it's nothing more than a prop.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:11 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
Indeed self defense with a gun does take practice. I just get tired of replacing door screens after I practice with my short barreled shotgun.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:58 PM

593 posts, read 1,377,685 times
Because your ar15 is easily converted to full auto with a kit sold at most gun shows. Perfectly legal to do that btw.
Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

NOPE! Never seen it, never heard of it, gunsmiths and specially trained military smiths can do it but they probably wouldnt.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:59 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,083,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Because your ar15 is easily converted to full auto with a kit sold at most gun shows. Perfectly legal to do that btw.
Great conspiracy to commit a felony... keep spouting off and be stupid

Old 08-02-2016, 05:01 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,055 times
Actually, filing off the lobe in the return mechanism in the receiver will convert any virtually any semi to fully automatic...though don't allow the thug government to catch you doing so...maybe the lobe wore off from a lot of target practice

Old 08-02-2016, 05:06 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Aren't we facing the same criminals? They have backups we have zip.
While it's hard to obtain, an ordinary citizen can actually obtain an assault rifle.

Quote:
What's the reason they need machine guns?
The police, as far as I'm aware, don't have machine guns. An assault rifle is not a machine gun.

Quote:
They seem to randomly shoot at innocent bystanders all the time. What is the reason they need more than 5 rounds? Since they have backups, they definitely don't need more than 5.
With assault rifles? I honestly can't remember that last time a cop fired at a civilian for basically no reason with an assault rifle. Not to say it doesn't happen, but how often does it really happen?

And yes, civilian limitations on ammunition are largely useless.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:23 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
While it's hard to obtain, an ordinary citizen can actually obtain an assault rifle.

The police, as far as I'm aware, don't have machine guns. An assault rifle is not a machine gun.

With assault rifles? I honestly can't remember that last time a cop fired at a civilian for basically no reason with an assault rifle. Not to say it doesn't happen, but how often does it really happen?

And yes, civilian limitations on ammunition are largely useless.
Do you know how much a real assault rifle cost and the legal hoop people must jump through?

Only rich and white men can afford assault rifles while poor minorities must fight with their bare hands. Thanks to the liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies