Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,663,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Did my research( never use wikipedia as a source), and you seem to be right, any area with 5%(atleast in Florida) of native speakers must have their ballots printed in that language.

The problem with your argument is that making English our de facto language does not mean those laws would change.

As for the second part of your argument. NO English is not part of every ones heritage nor is it cultural. Everyone in the U.S. is not anglo-saxon. or did you forget that this nation was not just settled by the British ?

English does become apart of everyones's heritage. Citizens become Naturalize according to our laws. Children grow up & learn in our English speaking public schools. They assimilate unlike this recent phenomena of mass illegal immigration & non assimilating people from south of this countries border.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,131 times
[quote=All American NYC;27999959]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post

Thats Belgium, this is the U.S two different countries. Why not move to Belgium since you like it there.
Oh I see. Where in the Constitution is it written that English shall be the official language of the U.S.?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:36 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Any major metro area has more language groups than English and Spanish. In Massachusetts, Portuguese is the second-largest group, not Spanish. There are some 50,000 Haitians in the Boston area. Should there always be French, and how about Creole? If someone doesn't read French, is there any guarantee they can read Creole, which is still in the process of becoming a formally written language?

America is way too much of a polyglot to accommodate every linguistic group everywhere. I appreciate that there are parts of the country where Spanish is overwhelmingly more common. What to do with Long Beach, CA, and Lowell, MA, the two largest Cambodian populations?

I think stating that English is the official language decreases the chance of balkanization, secession, "ethnic enclaves" that want to become their own country, etc. Witness the many places in the world where one area splits into its specific groups and goes to war, etc. I appreciate that language isn't the only reason for that, but it makes sense to me to try and head off the troubles that can come.

English is the international language of commerce and technology, and ever more so because of the internet. Chinese people are learning English to international business, not Brits and Americans learning Mandarin. Fair or not, that's how it is.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 PM

[quote=Saritaschihuahua;28000361]
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

Oh I see. Where in the Constitution is it written that English shall be the official language of the U.S.?
Doesn't need to be in the constitution. You stated you like Belgium so much.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Any major metro area has more language groups than English and Spanish. In Massachusetts, Portuguese is the second-largest group, not Spanish. There are some 50,000 Haitians in the Boston area. Should there always be French, and how about Creole? If someone doesn't read French, is there any guarantee they can read Creole, which is still in the process of becoming a formally written language?

America is way too much of a polyglot to accommodate every linguistic group everywhere. I appreciate that there are parts of the country where Spanish is overwhelmingly more common. What to do with Long Beach, CA, and Lowell, MA, the two largest Cambodian populations?

I think stating that English is the official language decreases the chance of balkanization, secession, "ethnic enclaves" that want to become their own country, etc. Witness the many places in the world where one area splits into its specific groups and goes to war, etc. I appreciate that language isn't the only reason for that, but it makes sense to me to try and head off the troubles that can come.

English is the international language of commerce and technology, and ever more so because of the internet. Chinese people are learning English to international business, not Brits and Americans learning Mandarin. Fair or not, that's how it is.
Also I want to add that English unites us.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM

[quote=All American NYC;28000526]
Quote:

Doesn't need to be in the constitution. You stated you like Belgium so much.
Ah, so basically you wrote it in your mental Constitution, and by golly, that's the way it's gotta be? lol

Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,760,748 times
[quote=Saritaschihuahua;28001225]
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

Ah, so basically you wrote it in your mental Constitution, and by golly, that's the way it's gotta be? lol
I believe that there are adult courses that you could take concerning your reading comprehension problems.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:34 PM

[quote=MORebelWoman;28001256]
Quote:

I believe that there are adult courses that you could take concerning your reading comprehension problems.
Fact is, it's written nowhere that there has to be an official language here in the U.S., regardless of whether you get snarky or not, and want it or not.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:40 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It would encourage Obama's illegals to at least make some attempt to learn the language of this country and to stop expecting everyone is going to have to learn Spanish to accomodate their every whim.
Ay Caramba!

Are you saying the Obama's illegals are expection you to learn Spanish to accomodate their every whim? Do you really believe that illegals expect you to learn Spanish...or at the very least... even care if you do or do not?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:41 PM

823 posts, read 1,973,289 times
Guys English and Spanish can coexist peacefuly, just as the human being and fish.

We all are amigos!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies