Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
That's the problem.

Everybody these days is looking for jobs. Do you really expect her to compete when she's already so disadvantaged?
Well -- there are certainly jobs --- illegals are having no trouble finding jobs and illegal immigration was actually up in 2012. As were remittances to Mexico way up in 2012. Maybe Obama is right, there are jobs that illegals will do that Americans won't give up their welfare handouts to do. Chicago is certainly a big destination for illegals --- they are finding plenty of jobs.

What's happening is that many Americans are being warehoused on welfare and unemployment -- and they accept it. As generous as the government handouts are, there isn't enough to give women having baby after baby lots of money to relocate to a gated community. So -- these people are stuck where they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
That's the problem.

Everybody these days is looking for jobs. Do you really expect her to compete when she's already so disadvantaged?
Not really. There are plenty of low wage jobs in the cities, like at the hotels. And if she had to, she could have worked two jobs to support her family. That's the way Asians do it. And their kids still do well in the city schools. Shrug.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Chicago has toughest gun laws in the county, but highest gun violence in the nation. Criminals rarely is it purchased through legal channels.

Can't tell a liberal that though.
This may be true as it relates to all homicides. As for gun homicides and despite the message of the pro gun lobby, I think Detroi, St, Louis and NOLA still have Chicago beat. And, if you move the decimal, and do the numbers based on a 50,000 per capita, a whole different outcome emerges.

Illinois as a whole ranks in the bottom half of gun homicides.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This may be true as it relates to all homicides. As for gun homicides and despite the message of the pro gun lobby, I think Detroi, St, Louis and NOLA still have Chicago beat. And, if you move the decimal, and do the numbers based on a 50,000 per capita, a whole different outcome emerges.

Illinois as a whole ranks in the bottom half of gun homicides.
Not Chicago though, Chicago is raked 14th and 1st or 2nd among large cities.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So after her first child was slain, what was stopping her from moving away from her neighborhood?
Probably low intelligence.

You can never discount the fact that almost 8 percent of the population has an IQ under 80.

Not exactly conducive for raising 4 kids in a gang-infested neighborhood.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
You know, I keep seeing these Chicago gun violence threads in this section, but I never see them in the Chicago section. I wonder if the interest has anything to do with violence in Chicago or just a pro gun platform to be used.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Why do you keep making these threads like you care?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refresh1 View Post
Drugs, guns, and rock and roll baby.

You mean drugs, guns, broken single parent families, rap music and reality tv......

Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You know, I keep seeing these Chicago gun violence threads in this section, but I never see them in the Chicago section. I wonder if the interest has anything to do with violence in Chicago or just a pro gun platform to be used.
Nobody that has a choice is stupid enough to live in neighborhoods like Austin.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:39 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It's because Chicago gun violence is very isolated and is limited to a few neighborhoods.

It's all being fueled by a drug war that nobody wants to deal with.

Not the Mayor.

Not the parents of the kids who buy the drugs and fuel the demand.

Long story short, the violence in Chicago affects very few people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies