Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

that emans alot od tobacco smokers or marijuana smkers can be charge more. But they have always had that right and I doubt it just stops there. thign about weight to height once it starts.Then of course there is always alcohol abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 07:07 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The thing about tobacco use it that undeniably horrible for your physical health, purely a choice with no other contributing factors besides you wanting to smoke, and difficult to hide from your doctor. Obesity is bad as well but can have numerious underlying factors that aren't as easily controlled. Weight DOES play a part in underwriting though, always has. You won't get the best rates if you are obese.
I blame macaroni and spoons While I own some spoons, macaroni never passes these lips.

I don't care, but there is no 'i' in numerous. With everyone so fussy with me and any spelling typos I may make i only feel it's fair to point out errors I see.... But i really don't care.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The thing about tobacco use it that undeniably horrible for your physical health, purely a choice with no other contributing factors besides you wanting to smoke, and difficult to hide from your doctor. Obesity is bad as well but can have numerious underlying factors that aren't as easily controlled. Weight DOES play a part in underwriting though, always has. You won't get the best rates if you are obese.
Not anymore (well, maybe for 2013, the law has been phased in over time, most hits in 2014).

Directly from wikipedia:

"Premiums in the individual private insurance exchanges could not exceed ~4.5 times the cost of the lowest cost premium plan
Pricing Factors Allowed in the exchange under the ACA:[17]:
  • Smoking status: 1.5:1
Pricing variation will be allowed by area (within a state) and family composition ("tier") as well."

link: Health insurance exchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now whether you're 150 pounds or 450 pounds, pricing can't differ. Keep in mind that obesity costs contribute approximately 10-20% (I've seen various numbers, with some variance but almost always within that range) of total healthcare costs in America, not exactly small change. Of course insurers are going to just charge people in fatter and less healthy areas more than in others, but, I hardly consider forcing insurers to punish people for the sins of their neighbors a good thing.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
that emans alot od tobacco smokers or marijuana smkers can be charge more. But they have always had that right and I doubt it just stops there. thign about weight to height once it starts.Then of course there is always alcohol abuse.
Great point Dave..... There goes legalized pot....

Old 01-27-2013, 07:48 PM

488 posts, read 412,568 times
This is the sort of madness that ensues when you tie an industry's profit marg... I mean, the costs of a service like health care as a responsibility placed on an entire society, mandated by laws. Welcome to the joys of a dedicated revenue source and watch as new costly tabus become regulatory 'mandates' stacking one on top the other. Be healthy or pay- Ethical Bloombergian Health Industries Macroeconomics 101, w/devotees courtesy of John Hopkins and future important appointments to go along with the current acolytes in place like the CDCP directorship. Now you see why this mess couldn't be read before it was passed...

Old 01-27-2013, 10:57 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
THIS ALREADY EXISTS!

What you Obama-haters seem to conveniently forget is that this is exactly how our current healthcare system works: those who smoke pay more for insurance. It makes sense, right? After all, aren't conservatives the ones who promote personal responsibility? Since smokers cost us all more in higher healthcare costs, then they SHOULD bear the brunt of higher premiums! If anything, you Republinuts should be cheering this aspect of Obamacare.
Well, using your own logic here it would seem non-smokers should pay more for Social Security since the statistics show they likely will live longer and draw more from the program.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick gar View Post
I just can't see tobacco merchants recording every transaction. How else can big government prove you are a smoker? Plead the fifth or remain nicotine free for a few days prior to testing.
You can fool the government, but you can't fool your lungs.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:34 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I find it interesting to see that people are even defending this part of Obamacare. I really wish that people would take the time to actually read the Obamacare law and learn what effect it is going to have on the average American. The majority of it will adversely affect health care, but I guess some people just don't want to admit it.

Question for those defending the ACA surcharge on smokers:

Wasn't this law touted as a way to make health insurance available and affordable for all Americans? I seem to remember that being one of the key points in the discussion of it. That being the case, exactly how does allowing insurance companies to charge extra for smokers accomplish this goal? If anything, there should have been a stipulation that the insurance companies couldn't charge extra for anyone, no matter what their lifestyle consisted of.

The idea is that if fewer people smoke health care costs will go down. And lives will be saved. Not just money---lives. Not everything is about health care insurance.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,308,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And the steep penalty is not counted for government subsidy of the premium.

So a poor person who smokes and couldn't afford insurance to begin with will have a steep fine that the government won't subsidize and will end up with no insurance, just like before Obamacare.

I thought that Obamacare was all about "affordability". All I see are taxes, higher premiums, penalties, fines, etc.

For that is what is really about.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 AM

27,131 posts, read 15,308,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Smokers are not average Americans. They are a shrinking minority. They can always quit if they don't like the rules - no one is born a smoker. If smokers lack the good sense and willpower to quit, letting them die of their self-inflicted illnesses seems the prudent course.

Line up the obese, get'em up against the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies