Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

As long as states are doing it, I have no problem with it. That's a states right issues.

Now, a federal ban, that I won't support for any substance that isn't immediately life threatening.

Meth, keep illegal. Cocaine, marijuana, tobacco, should be left to the states to decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 07:03 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
The war on tobacco has taken a final step to being "controlled" in the same vein as narcotics and other prescription drugs.

This time the law will hinge on nicotine and not tobacco itself. This means ANY product that has nicotine in it will be "controlled". This is great news for Big Pharma since nicotine will now have to prescribed from a doctor. This had been a goal of Big Pharma for decades.

Bill proposed in Oregon would make cigarettes prescription-only - KPTV - FOX 12

Relating to tobacco; creating new provisions; amending ORS 163.575, 163.580, 323.500, 323.709, 339.883, 431.853, 433.

You know all kinds of things we do today, are going to be illegal in the future, because the government now takes care of us from cradle to grave.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:18 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There's another thread about this or a similar bill in Oregon.

Any politian can pitch a bill. Congressmen pitched more than 12,000 in 2012. Most die. Pitching and passing are two different things.

Maybe a substiantial majority of folk in this state support the bill. Maybe not. Are the tax revenues greater than the cost? Will the bill help the pitcher get reelected, regardless of what happens to it?

The anti-smoking crowd is about as non partisan as it gets in the U.S. Many states are considering bills that seek to ban smoking in apartments/condos/townhomes with common walls.

It's going to be interesting to watch how the anti-smoking vs. recreational marijuana things works out.
the bans start small and increase from there. Them telling an American taxpayer what they can and cannot do in a home they pay for is scary to think about. Think of the boiled frog theory. Get us comfortable, And slowly turn up the heat.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
The war on tobacco has taken a final step to being "controlled"
in the same vein as narcotics and other prescription drugs.

This time the law will hinge on nicotine and not tobacco itself.
Because of the power of the CIGARETTE companies.
Dig deep, put on the big girl panties... and just altogether ban cigarettes as a legal product.

Not tobacco... just cigarettes.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,397 times
There they go again -

Trying to ban plants.

Better it would be to ban Monsanto.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Because of the power of the CIGARETTE companies.
Dig deep, put on the big girl panties... and just altogether ban cigarettes as a legal product.

Not tobacco... just cigarettes.

What happened to freedom?

Just wait until all sports are woosified, because of the injuries the tax payers will be fitting the bill for.......

Wow they could easily get a vote against it then, because spending and debt are fixing to get way out of control, with the under estimation of cost.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
As long as states are doing it, I have no problem with it. That's a states right issues.

Now, a federal ban, that I won't support for any substance that isn't immediately life threatening.

Meth, keep illegal. Cocaine, marijuana, tobacco, should be left to the states to decide.
That's too bad since the feds consider pot illegal. I will be writing my senate and congress to make sure pot stays illegal on a state and Federal level.

I don't want to PAY Taxes into any medical heath care because pot heads are getting "Stupid" and or we find out it causes cancer, which it will.

I don't want my money going towards cures for HIV or AIDs either. You want to play at high risk sex or other games pay for the cures yourselves.

I don't cause others to pay my way, and i expect the same.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What happened to freedom?
Want to smoke a cigarette? Buy a hand of leaf and roll one up.

The problem isn't the old man with a pipe or the quality cigar.
It isn't even cigarettes per se. It's all the OTHER crap that comes with them
Advertising being the main problem.

Again... eliminate that advertised and adulterated industrial product.
Leave the natural state ag product alone.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Sounds like a good way to make so extra income. Get a truck, buy boxes upon boxes of cigarettes and sell them on the street. Been thinking about buying a AR-15, that could be a good way to fund it.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:42 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,819 times
Default Look to your own state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
That's too bad since the feds consider pot illegal. I will be writing my senate and congress to make sure pot stays illegal on a state and Federal level.

I don't want to PAY Taxes into any medical heath care because pot heads are getting "Stupid" and or we find out it causes cancer, which it will.

I don't want my money going towards cures for HIV or AIDs either. You want to play at high risk sex or other games pay for the cures yourselves.

I don't cause others to pay my way, and i expect the same.
Now that you have a new Governor medical marijuana is almost certain to pass in New Hampsire. Full Legalization will come some years after that. You need something to replace the ski industry which is dying because it's become too expensive to replace lost snow, and because it has become too expensive for an average family to enjoy anymore.

The only thing preventing medical marijuana in your state so far was the govenor's veto. New governor, different outcome.

Live Free Or Die, isn't that your state motto? Hint: It is, I lived there for 5 years. A beautiful state.

If you don't agree with that, and want your mommy state and daddy Fed to protect you from the evil weed, maybe you should move to another state. Some people think the deep South is pretty backward, I don't know, that might appeal.

Sorry, the evil weed does not cause cancer, it does reduce tumor size and may cure some types of cancer. Do some research, then decide.

"Potheads" do not get stupid. The ones I know sound alot more informed than you do. When not under the influence they are just like the rest of us. When they are under the influence they may do silly things, or they may just fall asleep holding a bag of candy.

Alcoholics are the ones that get stupid due to the destruction of brain cells and worse, so put down that beer and live!

You don't cause others to pay your way NOW, but wait until you have a chronic or near fatal illness and can't afford treatment. How about when you retire and are able to get social security and medicare beyond what you paid in? Are you going to refuse the money? Sure you are....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies