Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,695 times

Advertisements

Just consider this. If you look at the rest of Illinois are add in the gang killing by the Chicago gangs down state it will be higher still. And if you see how fast they turn around the criminals in and out of the prisons there you will know why the violence is so high there. And You'll see why I got out of Illinois as soon as I retired. Chicago Violence was spreading like locust the the rest of the state.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Because Chicago has the most restrictive gun laws, on the book.

It is all the sudden, like everyone forgot about drive by shootings, that have been happening for 25 years now.
NYC gun laws are probably just as restrictive and their homicide rate is much lower.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
NYC gun laws are probably just as restrictive and their homicide rate is much lower.
I wonder if gentrification has anything to do with the lower homicide rate in the city proper, seeing as how many low-income minorities have been pushed into outlaying areas such as New Haven, CT or Camden, NJ.

The gentrification also seems to coincide with the fall of the violent crime rate beginning in 1990 when William Bratton took the position of NYC's Chief of Police.

Could this be a sign of great policing and good policy, or is it a sign of NYC urban planning department pushing the ghettos outside city limits to the north and south?

This is why I despise these P&C forums, nobody here thinks, instead, they find a cute little chart and loosely tie that with their argument and proceed to make **** up in their heads and post it as fact.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry1355 View Post
Just consider this. If you look at the rest of Illinois are add in the gang killing by the Chicago gangs down state it will be higher still. And if you see how fast they turn around the criminals in and out of the prisons there you will know why the violence is so high there. And You'll see why I got out of Illinois as soon as I retired. Chicago Violence was spreading like locust the the rest of the state.
Not just Illinois. Milwaukee, right across the state line in Wisconsin, is 90 minutes from downtown Chicago. Gangs have gone up there to, and into Iowa and Minnesota as well. Gangs follow the money. Milwaukee, Minneapolis-St. Paul, and Des Moines basically had little to now competition in such areas, so drugs flowed in.

In fact, there is a documentary on it.
Gangland S.2 Ep.9 - Gangster, Inc [1080p HD] - YouTube

Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 1,695 times
Default What has it to do with Obama?

I was always worried about the crime in Chicago, I lived in Illinois long better this President was born.....so it has nothing to do with your he lived before he was the President. He didn't live there for very long anyway. I actually think it's ALL about the crime rate....DO YOU THINK? And just one little fact too while your all thinking about it.....in the UK the Violent Crime rate in 3 1/2 times that of the US. The murders are much lower but, Violence is much higher. Go Figure that one out.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
I've covered the other factors several times but once again....

NY has aggresive policing and enforcement....the kind that got Giuliani called racist and facist.

Chicago generally lets the gangs "self police" as long as they aren't causing trouble in nice areas or do something egregious like shoot some kids.

You cannot assume that just because the laws are on the books that the same amount of enforcement of those laws is present. YOu have to admit that having strict laws with lax enforcement is the worst possible scenario for a law abiding person.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've covered the other factors several times but once again....

NY has aggresive policing and enforcement....the kind that got Giuliani called racist and facist.

Chicago generally lets the gangs "self police" as long as they aren't causing trouble in nice areas or do something egregious like shoot some kids.

You cannot assume that just because the laws are on the books that the same amount of enforcement of those laws is present. YOu have to admit that having strict laws with lax enforcement is the worst possible scenario for a law abiding person.
That is basically the biggest issue with the crime in Chicago, if they wanted to tackle the issues they have, they could, but if it isn't bothering the nice parts of town, then why worry about it, which I think it is a mistake because that leaves 1/3 of Chicago out from being a productive part of the city and increasing the competition among other cities.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Haha 71 lima.....you know how old that is.....

SO funny when you get called on something, proven wrong, talk about lettnig some air out......

Chicago has 40+ murders in less than 30 days, Chicago has strict gun laws, Chicago would be brought up if obama was ever there or not....

It's been said many times in this thread, obama has nothing to do with the gun violence in Chicago, because you lefties somehow think that obama+Chicago ='s conspirecery by the right is absoutley ignorant....

Keep it up slip trench digger....
You can't seem to make up your mind

Quote:
Nope, never said you did. But the Sandy Hook is out front, that's the focus, period.

Chicago has a high rate of gun violence, because obama supported those laws, and past laws, is why Chicago continues to be brought up, NOT because he is president.

Haha, again with the 71L.....I proved you wrong on that a long time ago, I know it gets hard to keep up when you lie so much, but trust me old timer, you cannot get anything past me.
Quote:
He also never did anything to get rid of the current/pst laws when he was there either, now did he.

This is your favorite argument, if obama passes a state law, did it not include Chicago? Do you know how ignorant that sounds.....

I passed a "state" law, however, it does not include Chicago....

Old 01-29-2013, 12:57 PM

46,306 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
You can't seem to make up your mind
Obviously comprehension is a problem...

Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Obviously comprehension is a problem...
I have difficulty understanding what makes flip floppers tick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies